Which One To Get

dzrtrataz

I'm looking at getting a gps. It will be used for geo cacheing, hunting and 4 wheelin. I want it to have expandable memory, be able to download from it.

I have been looking at the explorest 600, but I'm open to suggestion. Don't no much about them. Just getting into this.

Thanks

I'm looking at getting a gps. It will be used for geo cacheing, hunting and 4 wheelin. I want it to have expandable memory, be able to download from it.

I have been looking at the explorest 600, but I'm open to suggestion. Don't no much about them. Just getting into this.

Thanks

Well that's a mighty full featured unit there. But if you've got the bucks and aren't worried that you will grow tired of the game and put the unit on the shelf, go for it. You aren't likely to use or even need all of the features of this unit but you'll have them if you ever do. One thing to consider is the lack of AA battery support. Many cachers view the implementation with proprietary batteries as a major deal breaker. This new family of Magellan GPSr's all use this proprietary battery. The 400, 500 and your 600. Any one of which will more than likely meet your needs. There are also a ton of Garmin choices that will do likewise even though they do not have expandable memory. There is considerable debate as to whether having expandable memory serves any practicle purpose in everyday usage.

For the money you seem willing to invest, there are many GPSr choices available, just ask around in here and duck your head. :laughing:

Good luck. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

Regarding expandable memory, based upon experience...

For MOST everyday usage it isn't required. Nor is it really needed for typical geocaching and traveling within a 100 - 200 mile radius, assuming you've purchased the mapping software.

However whenever I take a long distance road trip, pre-loaded memory with my entire route becomes indispensable! It has prevented many potential flare-ups between the driver (my wife) and myself the navigator. This is especially true when summertime road construction detours can send you off into directions and areas not shown on any paper map.

Currently the only newer mid-range GPSr's (which I recommend for improved reception and technology) that have both AA's and removable memory are the later (i.e. not the Basic) Lowrance iFinder units.

reid.

I personally would never consider an eXplorist because of its battery. Other than that it's pretty good unit.

Redster's suggestion of an Lowrance iFinder is also a good one. You might want to consider the iFinder H20. It takes memory cards, has outstanding reception and for well under $300 you can get the unit, memory card, card reader and mapping software (The Lowrance H2O Plus package). The Lowrance Topo mapping software is also better than Garmins and Magellan's. The H20 doesn't have a color display, but the resolution is so good on it, you don't need color.

I just took a trip from Reno to San Diego. I loaded all the maps for that trip, plus 448 waypoints.

I still had lots of room for more maps and waypoints in my Garmin eTrex Vista. :blink:

I just don't see the need for expandable memory, unless you travel a lot . . .

The thing with expandable memory is.. the technology is DIRT CHEAP :D

Why does Garmin insist of forcing their loyal customers to struggle with paltry thimblefulls of memory (ie, 16mb, 24mb, 56mb) when memory card technology is not a new science and really is CHEAP and can store 1 gigabyte (1024mb to newbies) or more in each card. :D

I can understand loyal Garmin fans need to defend their product(s) by claiming 24mb is "more than enough memory", but come on people.. I'm sure a one seater car with a one cylinder engine wouldl commute you to work and back OK. But wouldn't you rather have a 4 seater with a radio and a trunk and an engine with at least 4/6 cylinders?

Garmin really needs to wake up and smell the technology. It's 2005 for crying out loud :D Go buy an "average home computer" nowdays and it will come with a 60-80Gb hard drive, because memory technology is so cheap nowdays, and it's nice to have that much elbow room.

The thing is . . .

how many average GPSr users need more than 24 MB or 56 MB of memory?

The maps from Reno all the way to San Diego, including all of the San Diego metropolitan area, use up about half of the 24 MB on my Garmin eTrex Vista. With USB connectivity, you can change out the maps in just a few seconds.

Why should I spend more money on a memory card/cards if I don't need it.

If I traveled for a living (that would be nice) and if I was going coast-to-coast frequently, then maybe I would need more memory.

Although I still stand by everything I said earlier, "For MOST everyday usage it isn't required...", however I have to agree with the essence of IVxIV's complaint about Garmin. For instance, you pay over $400 for a 60CS and then only get 56Mb!?! Come on! :D

Ok, I can store San Diego and a trip to Reno. That's one metro area and 400 miles of desert. Big whoop. How about a afternoon drive from San Diego to Santa Barbara with all streets, topo, and POI's?

Also, what about saving all the track points of the trip? Can't do it! The great max of 10,000 points gets squished down to 500 when it's saved. Where's that in their brochure? :D

Personally I do not consider taking a few 500+ trips every year as a lot of traveling. Therefore Garmin will never be on my shopping list for the foreseeable future. Why should I pay MORE for less?

Edited by reidster

Yes. Whether the GPSr uses USB or a Serial connection, you can download the tracks you make from the unit to your mapping software. I did that and then uploaded one particularly interesting one to this site.

The waypoints are uploaded to the GPSr from software like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) or EasyGPS.

A Premium Membership in the site allows you to get .gpx files from individual cache pages or in Pocket Queries which really helps organize your cache hunts, and is essential if you want to cache "paperless" using a Palm or Pocket PC.

The thing with expandable memory is.. the technology is DIRT CHEAP :D

Why does Garmin insist of forcing their loyal customers to struggle with paltry thimblefulls of memory (ie, 16mb, 24mb, 56mb) when memory card technology is not a new science and really is CHEAP and can store 1 gigabyte (1024mb to newbies) or more in each card. :D

I can understand loyal Garmin fans need to defend their product(s) by claiming 24mb is "more than enough memory", but come on people.. I'm sure a one seater car with a one cylinder engine wouldl commute you to work and back OK. But wouldn't you rather have a 4 seater with a radio and a trunk and an engine with at least 4/6 cylinders?

Garmin really needs to wake up and smell the technology. It's 2005 for crying out loud :D Go buy an "average home computer" nowdays and it will come with a 60-80Gb hard drive, because memory technology is so cheap nowdays, and it's nice to have that much elbow room.

I do agree that memory technology is cheap enough so that a decent GPSr could have plenty of it. My MP3 player has 1 gig of ram, and it runs on a single AAA NiMH for over 10 hours, so power consumption isn't the problem either. Cool thing, basically a USB2 jumpdrive with builtin player, radio and MP3 voice recorder ... but that's another topic.

Yes, all the GPS manufacturers should wake up and maybe offer their units with different memory sizes. Like MP3 players (why do I keep getting back to that as an example) ... the player I have is offered with 256, 512 and 1G. Same player, different sizes. Price of the 1G model is well over double the 256 version, so memory is a significant cost factor.

However, I just upgraded from a Legend to a Vista C anyway. Loyal? Not that I know of. The fact is that the 8 MB with a serial cable have been inconvenient, but it worked for over 3 years of rustic-camping, hiking, crosscountry skiing and traveling. And with the USB speed and 24 MB the Vista has absolutely enough. What really caused the decision was the rugged design, the handy form factor and the AA battery type of the Vista. Okay, I am farsighted and my glasses are basically magnifying glasses with 2.5 diopters ... helps to read the little eye-dust on tiny displays. So the display works for me. And with a 4-pack of Lithium AA's (10 bucks at Walmart) in your emergency kit, you will never end up without power. The size of this thing is just the killer. It fits into every pocket and that means you will have it on you even if you didn't know for sure that you will need it.

If they would offer a Vista C with 256 MB, you could bet I would have shelled out the extra $100 (as I bet many others would). Garmin, do you hear this? You just missed the oportunity for another $100 revenue!!!

Jan

For instance, you pay over $400 for a 60CS and then only get 56Mb!?! Come on!

Or you could buy a Magellan explorist for about $320.00 and a 512mb SD card for about $60.00=$380.00 total works for me.

Or if you want to really keep the price down the Magellan Meridian Gold $200.00 then add $60.00 for the 512 mb SD card=$260.00

Garmin really needs to wake up and smell the technology. It's 2005 for crying out loud

Garmin would rather sell a GPS with expandable memory that requires a Garmin memory card that they can try to rake their loyal customers over the coals with as they tried to do with the failed e-map, and it wasn't even waterproof.

Sure you may not need 512mb of memory, just like no ones needs a car that will do 150mph, but why not have it if you want it.