To You Desert Cachers...

Ok, I live in Missouri, and I have been coming in sight of snakes here while caching....albeit, non venomous ones, but not my favorite site. I have been known to leave a cache area with hopes of returning to it in winter time.

I am leaving in a few days for the Grand Canyon and all the desert lands. So many of the cache descriptions warn of rattle snakes...this is starting to wig me out. Does one come in contact with them often?

Is there a primer on how to contend with one? My knowledge of rattle snakes is that what television and such have taught me.....and fear of the unknown.

Just watch were you are going and if you have to reach under a rock or into some other dark space it is a good idea to use some kind of a walking stick to check the spot first.

Rattle snakes are not just in the desert, I saw one in the way back from cache number 100, now I carry a small camera in case I see anoher one.

BTW some rattle snakes walk on two legs :(

No need to panic about snakes when traveling ---After all, you obviously have been cautious but not terrified about the venomous snakes in MO:

Osage Copperhead

Western Cottonmouth

Timber Rattlesnake

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake

Western Pygmy Rattlesnake

The best advice has already been given--Avoid the snake (and most of them will avoid you too!) by not poking your hands into places you can't see --that's good advice for avoiding any wild creatures.

More info in this primer on snakes, treatment options, and a avoiding being bitten.

Most of the rattlers I saw out west were either sunning themselves on rocks on cool days, or cooling off in the shade on hot days.

Although I lived in the desert for several years, I never actually saw one there (guess I got lucky). I've seen quite a few rattlers in the chaparral areas--which I consider more dangerous because there's going to be a lot more brush and ground cover, which will make a snake harder to see.

My suggestions are simple:

1. Be alert for snakes on (and off) the trail ahead of you. If you see one, just give it plenty of room. It won't bother you as long as you don't bother it. If you're out with kids, make sure they know that too.

2. If you're going to stick your hands anywhere, give the area a good pokin' with a long stick beforehand.

3. If you're caching with a dog, keep the dog leashed. I've seen a couple dogs nearly get attacked when they hurry over to the snake to check it out.

If you should walk up close to a snake before seeing it, TRY not to move quickly. It can cause a reflex reaction from the snake. Also, you may want to look around before you move just to make sure there is only one there. Only once have I encountered more than one snake at a time.

I have spent hundreds of hours hiking this area (about 145 miles from the Grand Canyon) looking for snakes and critters and have seen very few. I have actually seen more dead snakes on the road than when hiking!

I think you will have a better chance of finding a small tan scorpion than you will have of finding a snake.

If you need to turn over a rock or log, you may want to tap on it first and listen. Then when you actually turn over the rock or log just grab it by the edges and move it. If there are any scorpions your fingers will be far enough away so as not to get stung. Don't forget to use the zoom on the camera for a good shot!

Then there are these....f1ef52a0-7016-43c7-8e62-0bd0b013e2b3.jpg

This guy was seen on the way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at a scenic pull out.

Feeling all creepy & crawly now? :(

You have a better chance at being a First Finder for a cache in your home town than finding a rattlesnake.

Enjoy the beauty of the area and have fun,

John

I do most of my caching in the Mojave desert home of the Mojave Green Rattlesnake about the worse there is.

How to avoid being bitten? NEVER put your hands where you can't see. Look under bushes as you walk to avoid surprises. If you do come upon a snake leave it alone if possible. :( Turn over rocks etc from the far side, thus the rock will be between you and whatever is under it.

Snake train your dog, not only will it keep the dog safer but the dog will alert you to the presents of a snake.

I have yet to be bit and I have found lots of snakes. My dog has yet to be bit and she has alerted me three times to snakes by blocking my progress. :(

I have lived in Tucson for 25 years and have yet to see a rattlesnake out in the wild. I have, however, seen a half dozen in my back yard!

Anytime you are trekking through the wilds, DO NOT be quiet. Make a little noise, scuff your feet a little. This alerts the wildlife you are coming and 99% of the time they will get out of your way. For the most part, they do not want to see you anymore than you want to see them! Let common sense prevail, if you see a critter, remember who's home you are in and give it lots of room. Don't get your nose stuck in your GPSr. Look around you, especially look down at the ground in fornt of you and off to the sides of the trail. Never place parts of your anatomy where you cannot see! Probe with your walking stick first. If you decide to sit down on a rock or log, carefully examine the area first.

The Sonoran desert is a beautiful place. It does have a few unpleasant denizens, but they are incredibly easy to avoid. Come on out and enjoy the area. I think you will find it rewarding! Confucious say "Cache ON!"

All of the above advice is good for rattle snakes. Stomp around and use your hiking stick instead of your hands. They will make noise and usually move away from you, but sometimes coil and stand still. Often times they are sunning on the trails and by the time you see them, they are headed off. Here in southern California along the coast, they said there would be more snakes this year and they are right. I have never seen so many, usually king and gopher, but plenty of rattlers. The reason: the most rain in over 100 years. This caused the weeds/grasses to produce more seeds, eaten by the mice and other rodents that reproduce quickly and are snake food. Am also seeing more hawks and owls which also like rodents.

The advice about scorpions is also good to follow. I now use a stick and leather glove....the pain is not pleasant......

Prairie Rattlers are common out here in Western Nebraska. Many of my caches have warnings. See log by 4bows Here. I have seen 7 or 8 since I started caching. Most were just sunning themselves on the trail and moved away as I approached. We starteled one near the trail a year ago and it hissed loudly and coiled up - scary enough. I carry a walking stick with me but have only used it once to "nudge" one out of the way. I always use the walking stick to probe areas before reaching in.

Best advice, stay calm and slowly back away. Look where you are going. Blindly running away is a good way to find another one. Snakes won't hunt you down - they are scared and, given the opportuity, will move away. Carry a long walking stick to check uncertain areas. Travel in groups and make a bit of noise.

I have been told that 80% of all rattlesnake bites are to males aged 16 - 28. Mostly because they were messing around with the snake. Respect them and be careful and you should be fine.

I lived in Tucson for nearly 20 years, played in the desert as a child, built forts, tromped through the mountains, etc. and never saw a rattlesnake except in the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Tarantulas, centipedes and scorpions on the other hand . . .

Now I tromp through the Sam Houston National Forest near Houston and have seen a number of copperhead and other creepy crawlers. I'm pretty sure that at least 20 times more snakes have seen me than I have seen.

Wear boots, and as has been said, never put your hand someplace you haven't looked into first. If you see a snake, stay calm and move slowly away from it.

From last New Year's event:

7edd5357-e942-4739-bba2-7b45470d26a5.jpg

0254235f-30b2-4c10-85aa-6ed7b4bd3219.jpg

Edited by Sputnik 57

Lots of good advice from the persons above.

I am not in heavy rattlesnake country now but I grew up in San Diego county with lots of snakes.

I used a .22 pistol and one summer bagged ovr 200.

I am not advocating that anyone else commit wholesale mayhem on rattlers but I would wager that few people go into the field without some type of firearm except where it is not legal.

The mention of a stick was an excellant idea especially if it has a "Y" or fork on the end because if you do get too close you can pin the rattler down just behind it's head and then the best thing is probably to kill it as it will be very agitated.

Best to not climb over rocks without thick boots.

And watch out for babies because they don't rattle!

Lots of good advice from the persons above.

I am not in heavy rattlesnake country now but I grew up in San Diego county with lots of snakes.

I am not advocating that anyone else commit wholesale mayhem on rattlers but I would wager that few people go into the field without some type of firearm except where it is not legal.

The mention of a stick was an excellant idea especially if it has a "Y" or fork on the end because if you do get too close you can pin the rattler down just behind it's head and then the best thing is probably to kill it as it will be very agitated.

Best to not climb over rocks without thick boots.

And watch out for babies because they don't rattle!

:lol::) Killing or shooting snakes that are just trying to live in their natural habitat is just plain ignorant . . . :laughing: Geocachers are supposed to be protective of the environment!

The snakes keep down the rodent population and are very necessary to the environment. Just ask a friend who keeps getting rats and mice in her truck and RV where they live in the chapparel.

The snakes are more afraid of you. Just be cautious, use a walking stick, and take a camera with a telephoto lens. You could get lucky and come back with a great photographs.

SitAwhileSnake2.jpg

Several years ago I was hiking in Canyonlands National Park. I heard the rattlesnake before I ever saw it. In fact, I didn't see it until I landed about eight feet away after my involuntary leap . . . :)

I told the Ranger about it that evening when he came to collect the camping fee. In his nine years at the park, he had never seen a rattlesnake. He said I should consider myself lucky to have had that experience.

Anytime you are trekking through the wilds, DO NOT be quiet. Make a little noise, scuff your feet a little. This alerts the wildlife you are coming and 99% of the time they will get out of your way.

Snakes can't here, so the noise won't affect them. Vibration does.

I live smack dab in the heart of the Mojave Desert, and have yet to se a Rattlesnake, while geocaching. I have seen then plenty of times "pre-geocaching" days but none while caching.

Right now the heat is very extreme, so you won't find many snakes out during the day. If you decide to hunt caches at night, watch your step.

Every thing I have read is the snake population will soar next year, in California. Due to to the heavy rains (2nd best in over 100 years) the rodent population has increased. Next year, the number of reptiles will grow, not this year.

killing or shooting snakes that are just trying to live in their natural habitat is just plain ignorant . . . :lol: Geocachers are supposed to be protective of the environment!

The snakes keep down the rodent population and are very necessary to the environment. Just ask a friend who keeps getting rats and mice in her truck and RV where they live in the chapparel.

The snakes are more afraid of you. Just be cautious, use a walking stick, and take a camera with a telephoto lens. You could get lucky and come back with a great photographs.

SitAwhileSnake2.jpg

:laughing: Hard cheese mate. :)

I am not advocating killing a snake except as a last resort.

Perhaps some practice in linguistic understanding would be appropriate.

Anyone who is aware of reptilian behavior would know that an agitated rattlesnake will strike repeatedly in darn near any direction when confronted.

I have seen what a poisonous snake bite can do to a person.

Would you rather a friend or yourself be bitten or a snake to die?

killing or shooting snakes that are just trying to live in their natural habitat is just plain ignorant . . . :lol: Geocachers are supposed to be protective of the environment!

SitAwhileSnake2.jpg

:lol: Hard cheese mate. :lol:

I am not advocating killing a snake except as a last resort.

Perhaps some practice in linguistic understanding would be appropriate.

Anyone who is aware of reptilian behavior would know that an agitated rattlesnake will strike repeatedly in darn near any direction when confronted.

I have seen what a poisonous snake bite can do to a person.

Would you rather a friend or yourself be bitten or a snake to die?

Uh . . . you left off your own quote bragging about killing 200 snakes.

. . .

. . .

Was your life, or the life of a friend, in danger in all those encounters? :) Sounds like the only life in danger when you were around was the life of an innocent snake.

If you don't want to get bitten, don't get the snake agitated in the first place. :laughing:

. . .

. . .

Was your life, or the life of a friend, in danger in all those encounters? :) Sounds like the only life in danger when you were around was the life of an innocent snake.

If you don't want to get bitten, don't get the snake agitated in the first place. :laughing:

:lol:

This was in the 1960s when there were so many rattlesnakes around that they were an extreme menace to the community.

There was, in fact, a bounty on rattlesnakes.

Yes, several people had been bitten and at least one child died.

After my experiences in Vietnan as an Air Rescue Medic I no longer hunt or kill anything which is not actively attempting to kill me.

Have you considered anger management? :lol: