New Old Caches

warthog

Typically, if the cache was moved just a bit (maybe to make it more muggle-proof), then you shouldn't log a second find. If the cache has moved a great deal where the experience hunting it is drastically different than the first time around, ask the cache owner if you can claim a second find.

Personally, I only log one find per cache even if it has moved. Also, if the cache has moved that much it should be archived and resubmitted as a new cache.

I have just done a check on the original cache co-ords and the current cache co-ords for the cache (Johannesburg South 1B) for which I logged a second find.

The current cache is within the minimum 400 metre range for a new cache and thus the cache would not have been accepted as a new cache. I should have checked this before I actually made my second log and will now revert it from a find to just a note.

It was however nice to see where the new cache is.

I had one of my caches muggled. It was moved a short distance, re-hidden in a much better place and the co-ords updated.

The cache page was updated with the new info and all existing logs remained valid. A second "find" on a cache like this would be unacceptable.

I had one of my caches muggled. It was moved a short distance, re-hidden in a much better place and the co-ords updated.

The cache page was updated with the new info and all existing logs remained valid. A second "find" on a cache like this would be unacceptable.

If it was re-hidden in a much better place, wouldn't it be as difficult (if not more so) to find the second time as it was the first? Sounds to me like it would be a second hide, a second search, and a second find. But it's also your cache, so you're the boss. :laughing:

If it was re-hidden in a much better place, wouldn't it be as difficult (if not more so) to find the second time as it was the first? Sounds to me like it would be a second hide, a second search, and a second find. But it's also your cache, so you're the boss. :laughing:

Not really. Difficulty and terrain remained the same, the position was moved about 50m (if that) and the hiding place was more "secure" from muggles.

The cache page description was changed to suit, as were the hints.

Subsequent cache hunters were able to find the cache with no difficulty. In fact, one player went to look for it armed with the old cache page printout, and after a bit of cursing and stumbling around, managed to find it by using "the force".

So no, I don't consider this particular cache worthy of double-logging

Typically, if the cache was moved just a bit (maybe to make it more muggle-proof), then you shouldn't log a second find. If the cache has moved a great deal where the experience hunting it is drastically different than the first time around, ask the cache owner if you can claim a second find.

Personally, I only log one find per cache even if it has moved. Also, if the cache has moved that much it should be archived and resubmitted as a new cache.

Agree 100%

Weird. Just had an offline debate around this one.

There’s nothing in GC.com stopping you. Also, to GC.com it’s not about the numbers, so they will not stop multiple logs.

For me personally, 1 cache, 1 Find. All subsequent finds are Notes, no matter how far the cache has moved, how many times the name has changed etc.!

As a cache owner. If the cache moves a significant amount or it’s a new concept, in my mind a new cache should be created.

That's how I play the game.

There’s plenty of debate around peeps who care or don’t care about stats. In the end, if you want to keep your name on the ranking list I would suggest that you stick to 1 cache 1 find…. Otherwise your stats will always be viewed as "dirty". (And I can hear those that are saying they don't care about the numbers...then I suggest you apply to be removed from the ranking list)

In the end, it’s up to you how you want to play the game… but play it knowing that multiple logs are generally frowned upon :laughing: