Is There A Need To Be So Rude?

Having just started caching, I've been very excited and have been reading the forums a great deal to learn as much as I can about this fantastic hobby. Imagine my surprise when I read the condescending and rude comments by the founder of this website in this thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

I'm appalled and disgusted that the owner of this website finds it amusing to berate and belittle the very people who support this site and the activity. I also find it very childish that he decides to close the thread after the discussion turns to one about his rude manners. A little bit of searching the forums shows that this is not the first instance of his arrogant demeanor. It certainly is not the demeanor that someone in his position should be taking.

This attitude has left me feeling repulsed towards the owner of the site (and towards geocaching).

Sorry for the rant, I just felt that something needs to be said.

Again, it bears repeating that written communication via these forums are oft misinterpreted.

We all have our own ways of communicating. I have found that Jeremy is generally a hard-hitter and doesn't play around when he has a strong opinion on something. You seem to be of the same ilk. One would think that two communicators with common styles would be clear in their exchanges. Alas, it is not so.

There are some who come to the forums with chips on their shoulders; some come to the forums eating chips. Others come simply to watch the bottom feeders scarf up the crumbs left over after the chips.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everything that is said, take with a grain of salt and unless someone comes right out and calls you one of those (expletive deleted) - don't assume they are doing so by their tone.

All this analyzing has hurt my head. I think it's nappy time now!

Happy caching!

Momma Marauder

Not that one. This one.

(Haggis Hunter @ Jul 26 2005, 12:30 PM)

It says for this forum to make suggestions. Now I know that time and money constraints mean that you just can't give everyone what they want, but you can certainly give a decent answer to the suggestion. Slagging your customers off just isn't good enough.

(Jeremy)

Kissing your butt wasn't part of the service contract. I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic. I figured if you could dish it you could take it. Sorry if I was mistaken (and here's a few kissy poos for you then).

This site is built as a community site and as such requires the feedback from the community to a ) sort out whether caches go missing or need work and b ) let cachers know when a listing needs attention.

There's not lot of effort into automating everything but I posit that not everything needs automated. If someone who owns a listing doesn't understand that they need to clicky the archive button after the meeting is long past it only takes a quick email to let them know, or file a SBA and we'll take care of it.

This forum stuff is awfully fun. Don't you think?

Edited by Gecko1
He made it rather clear...

I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic.

Haggis's post was not combative or sarcastic. It was a reasonable observation.

Even if Haggis's post was rude (which it wasn't), it is still not an excuse for the owner of this site to belittle. I would suggest that Jeremy enroll in a customer relations course. His attitude is simply not a good one.

I didn't find Jeremy's reply all that rude, but then again I've read enough posts by him to have an appriciation for his snarky sense of humor. I can very well see though how someone unfamiliar with him can get the impression that he is beeing an a**.

Of course, it could also be that I've mis-applied humor, and that he's just been being an a** the whole time :(

Hmm, there is no chip eating emoticon, i guess I'll just use this one and sit back and watch :(

I would suggest that Jeremy enroll in a customer relations course. His attitude is simply not a good one.

You already said that, Defender of the Downtrodden. There's no need to be redundant.

(bump so folks see how awful I am. Oh the humanity!)

Not that one. This one.
(Haggis Hunter @ Jul 26 2005, 12:30 PM)

It says for this forum to make suggestions. Now I know that time and money constraints mean that you just can't give everyone what they want, but you can certainly give a decent answer to the suggestion. Slagging your customers off just isn't good enough.

(Jeremy)

Kissing your butt wasn't part of the service contract. I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic. I figured if you could dish it you could take it. Sorry if I was mistaken (and here's a few kissy poos for you then).

This site is built as a community site and as such requires the feedback from the community to a ) sort out whether caches go missing or need work and b ) let cachers know when a listing needs attention.

There's not lot of effort into automating everything but I posit that not everything needs automated. If someone who owns a listing doesn't understand that they need to clicky the archive button after the meeting is long past it only takes a quick email to let them know, or file a SBA and we'll take care of it.

This forum stuff is awfully fun. Don't you think?

I fail to see where Haggis was rude there either.

Jeremy's reply certainly was though.

I didn't find Jeremy's reply all that rude, but then again I've read enough posts by him to have an appriciation for his snarky sense of humor. I can very well see though how someone unfamiliar with him can get the impression that he is beeing an a**.

Of course, it could also be that I've mis-applied humor, and that he's just been being an a** the whole time :(

Hmm, there is no chip eating emoticon, i guess I'll just use this one and sit back and watch :(

Yes. Most of us have gotten used to his style.

Why don't you explain?

Sure. From Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing

swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive

power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some

farcical aquatic ceremony.

ARTHUR: Be quiet!

DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power

just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just

because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd

put me away!

ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!

DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!

DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear

that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing

me, you saw it didn't you?

Help help! I'm being repressed!

Jeremy, you make me laugh! I would LOVE to meet you one day at an event cache. Your sense of humor is a hoot.

And who knows, someday you may tick me off,too. But hey, we're all one big happy family! Mad Marty, come back into the fold. We love you, brother.

See, you all need to stop responding to this thread. It's time for Momma's nap!

Jeremy, you can laugh it off all you want, and your blind supporters can continue supporting your antics, but the truth of the matter is that you are rude. And there is no good reason to be so. You should be ashamed of the way that you conduct yourself.

Edited by MadMarty
I'm appalled and disgusted that the owner of this website finds it amusing to berate and belittle the very people who support this site and the activity. I also find it very childish that he decides to close the thread after the discussion turns to one about his rude manners. A little bit of searching the forums shows that this is not the first instance of his arrogant demeanor. It certainly is not the demeanor that someone in his position should be taking.

and what are you doing?

Okay, the DramaFrogs have started, next I predict "In Before the Lock" posts :(

Ya know what? Maybe the guy who runs this site is a jerk. Its his site, its his business, if he wants to run it in a way that drives off poeple, that is his perogative. There are other websites out there. In fact, rumors tell of some competing websites where those that are displeased have found a safe haven from the oppressive tyranny. :(

I doubt you are going to get much sympathy here, as I'd guess that all this will turn into is a bunch of people who have been posting here for sometime will defend Jeremy and the site (which, BTW, should say someting about the way he treats 'customers'), and the longer this goes on, the more it will anger you. My advice is to let it drop, go calm down, and see that in general, we all just want to have fun and find a good cache ot two (or two thousand, whatever your speed). Well, there are a few in here that thrive on creating angst, but we'll ignore them for now.

If you do choose to debate this, I'd suggest doing a search in the forums for the term "Geocide" so you can best choose the style that fits you.

Jeremy, you can laugh it off all you want, and your blind supporters can continue supporting your antics, but the truth of the matter is that you are rude.

Yes. I am aware that I do not respond diplomatically. That is my style. I shoot from the hip and tell it how it is.

And there is no good reason to be so. You should be ashamed of the way that you conduct yourself.

I'm not. Every heard of tough love? Hate the player not the game.

This is not about humor. It's about someone being rude when there is absolutely no good reason for it.

Jeremy, you need to grow up. Just because you own this site does not justify your attitude towards others. You're really not as smart as you and your followers would like to think.

Jeremy, you can laugh it off all you want, and your blind supporters can continue supporting your antics, but the truth of the matter is that you are rude.

Yes. I am aware that I do not respond diplomatically. That is my style. I shoot from the hip and tell it how it is.

That's a pretty lame excuse for being rude.

Jeremy, you need to grow up.

You need to realize and accept when your words are falling on deaf ears.

I doubt that very much. It's obvious from reading past posts that many others feel that you are rude as well.

Edited by MadMarty

MadMarty, stick around here long enough and you will find that as soon as ANY thread turns into a personal attack against ANY cacher, it quickly becomes closed or posts mysteriously disappear, not just when someone has a little tiff with Jeremy.

And, from my viewpoint, having been here long enough to know Jeremy's style, the rudeness did NOT originate with him, rather with "someone's" failure to close the window and walk away for a few minutes before actually posting a reply. It's obvious posts were created in the heat of a moment while tempers were escalating, which is NOT time to submit. Cool down a bit and chill out.

And let me further say that even with his sometimes heavy sarcasm (which I rather enjoy, honestly) it is very nice to take part in a forum where the owner is actively a participant. One other board I post to, you only see posts from the site designer when the bickering and fighting gets too bad. Heck, we don't even know who (if anyone) else the moderators are there. So just be glad he's an active part of this community--and next time, take a few deep breaths before you hit 'reply'

Jeremy, I suggest that you finish you're argument and close the topic before people start throwing knives here.

Well, I'd be accused of repressing him, now wouldn't I?

Feel free to continue bumping the thread and saying how awful, childish and unacceptably rude I am. I'll close the thread later in the afternoon after you get all of your aggressions out on me. I won't learn anything so I doubt it will be fruitful, so whatever floats your boat.

yes, but just because Jeremy makes me laugh, I shouldn't encourage his rudeness by laughing.....what we really need is not a chip-eating emoticon, but a good "spanking" emoticon, to keep wiseguys like Jeremy in line.....

naughty Jeremy, wicked Jeremy!

(do it again Lucky Charm, do it again....)

:(

I won't learn anything so I doubt it will be fruitful...

That's already abundantly apparent. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would take this as something to be learned.

But I doubt that your arrogant attitude allows you to look inward. :(

Jeremy, I suggest that you finish you're argument and close the topic before people start throwing knives here.

Feel free to continue bumping the thread and saying how awful, childish and unacceptably rude I am. I'll close the thread later in the afternoon after you get all of your aggressions out on me. I won't learn anything so I doubt it will be fruitful, so whatever floats your boat.

Thats an awfully childish and rude way to handle things, and I for one will not accept it!

:(

Jeremy is awful, childish and unacceptably rude

and I wanna be just like him :(

Feel free to continue bumping the thread and saying how awful, childish and unacceptably rude I am. I'll close the thread later in the afternoon after you get all of your aggressions out on me.

I suspect that as soon as others chime in to agree with me that this thread will be closed.

Feel free to continue bumping the thread and saying how awful, childish and unacceptably rude I am. I'll close the thread later in the afternoon after you get all of your aggressions out on me.

I suspect that as soon as others chime in to agree with me that this thread will be closed.

Well, first lets find some more people to chime in.............

.......I'm waiting.......

Oh yeah, all those that would chime in have already left in a huff :(

This attitude has left me feeling repulsed towards the owner of the site (and towards geocaching).

You're making the common mistake of confusing what goes on in the forums here with the sport of geocaching.

No, actually I'm not.

As the owner of this website Jeremy is an embassador to the activity. Is rudeness the order of the day here? Is that what geocaching is all about? Someone needs to learn about customer relations.

You're making the common mistake of confusing what goes on in the forums here with the sport of geocaching.

No, actually I'm not.

As the owner of this website Jeremy is an embassador to the activity. Is rudeness the order of the day here? Is that what geocaching is all about? Someone needs to learn about customer relations.

I wouldn't like to see you run it.

Oh yeah, all those that would chime in have already left in a huff :(

So what you're confirming is that there are already those before this who have been disgusted enough with Jeremy's rudeness to leave?

Your statement speaks volumes.

Oh yeah, all those that would chime in have already left in a huff  :(

So what you're confirming is that there are already those before this who have been disgusted enough with Jeremy's rudeness to leave?

Your statement speaks volumes.

People who would support you have already left this thread.