Spot The Mistake & Win An El Diablo Hiking Staff

CYBret

Top Story from the Benton Evening News

I found a mistake...can you find ONE?

Bret

* Contest rules prohibit entry from anyone in the continental United States, Guam, Hawaii or any place that used to be known as "Pangaea." Employees of Groundspeak and family members, forum participants, cache owners, cache finders are also prohibited from entry. If you breath air, have fur and reproduce sexually (even in theory) you're prohibited from entering this contest. Get your own dang stick, for cryin' out loud.

* Contest rules prohibit entry from anyone in the continental United States, Guam, Hawaii or any place that used to be known as "Pangaea." Employees of Groundspeak and family members, forum participants, cache owners, cache finders are also prohibited from entry. If you breath air, have fur and reproduce sexually (even in theory) you're prohibited from entering this contest. Get your own dang stick, for cryin' out loud.

:(

Edited by Gecko1
Holman said caches might be hidden on land, both above and below ground, or under water.

Dang, and here I just put away my commemorative CSI Trowel. :(

Satellites do not see through trees, which may throw the finder a little off course, noted Holman.

Please everyone, archive any of your caches that are near trees. Do it for the sake of the children. :(

How about this for a mistake:

Holman said caches might be hidden on land, both above and below ground, or under water.

If by below ground he means buried - oops

edit: darn I type too slow how about this one -

In order to participate, a GPS unit is required, and Holman said you get what you pay for, adding the higher priced models produce better results.

I thought GPSr's were created equal except the bells and whistles would cost more money from one to the other.

edit #2: Nutz I just can't win. I didn't even notice the contest rulz! Boy I never win anything. :(

Edited by Team Red Oak

Let's see...

"The satellites send signals in sound and light waves to five machines located around the earth," Holman said. "You can use these signals to find and relocate spots you have marked."

and

"The GPS is connected to the Internet through the Global Positioning Information System. This is a worldwide scavenger hunt."

and

By using simple GPS location longitude and latitude, the satellites track your position and lead you to the cache, Holman said.

hmm, so that's what the satellites do!

and

Holman said rules of geocaching require that you put something into the hidden spot, or cache, before you remove something from a secret location.

RULZ?

and

Satellites do not see through trees, which may throw the finder a little off course, noted Holman.

and

"All you really need to know is to turn the GPS unit on, push 'go to' and a compass will appear," Holman said. "Then follow the arrow and the unit will tell you when you are approaching a landmark. If the arrow is not moving, you need to walk around a bit so the satellite will pick you up."

yep - that's all you need to do - push "GOTO" and go... :(

Thanks for the distraction.

Edited by Be-a-Jayhawk
Get your own dang stick, for cryin' out loud.

OHHHHHH...I wanted so bad to order a staff from El Diablo I think I would have paid almost anything. By the time I got involved in geocaching I read somewhere that he was not taking orders any more? Is this not true???? My inquiring mind would certainly want to know :(

That's what you get when you have a high school intern write an article for the paper. Just about every sentence had "Holman said " in it. A sentence does not make a paragraph.

Yeah, but I wonder how much of what was in quotes is what Hollman actually said, I hope not much.

Get your own dang stick, for cryin' out loud.

OHHHHHH...I wanted so bad to order a staff from El Diablo I think I would have paid almost anything. By the time I got involved in geocaching I read somewhere that he was not taking orders any more? Is this not true???? My inquiring mind would certainly want to know :(

I keep trying to retire but people wont' let me. Especially those that will almost anything!

El Diablo

In the part of my brain that has not undergone atrphy, I seem to remember that the Navy and Air Force were developing GPS systems (incompatible, of course) and they were ordered to converge their efforts just before the responsibility was given to the Air Force. Seems to me there was a big order for shipboard ground-to-air missles just after that happened. :(

Edited by TucsonBill
In the part of my brain that has not undergone atrphy, I seem to remember that the Navy and Air Force were developing GPS systems (incompatible, of course) and they were ordered to converge their efforts just before the responsibility was given to the Air Force. Seems to me there was a big order for shipboard ground-to-air missles just after that happened. :(

So, was the Navy's version of the system a bunch of floating bouys? :(

Ben's Lawn Service is really located at the corner of South Main and Ruth? :(

Since he is holding the unit upside down in the picture, I didn't expect much to begin with. Maybe that's how they lead you right to the ones under the ground? :(

There are more than 24 satellites beaming soundwaves down to earth? :(

I was born in Alaska, do I qualify to win? :(

Holman explained that 24 satellites situated in space operate the Global Positioning System.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I would substitute the word "comprise" for "operate" in this sentence. There are probably real people that "operate" the system.

"The satellites send signals in sound and light waves to five machines located around the earth," Holman said.

Putting aside the "sound and light waves" issue....I'm just glad I have one of those five machines. Which of the other four of you out there are also getting these signals? I feel bad for all you others who don't realize that your GPSr isn't actually getting anything from space. Maybe if you move around a bit, the satellites will find you again (as opposed to the other way around).

Geez...and this guy is a science teacher? I really really hope someone who knows him can straighten him out. I also hope that the reporter was taking atrocious notes and that resulted in half of the comments being screwed up in writing the article.

I've seen things get misquoted when a reporter's trying to keep up with a subject they know nothing about. But this is just awful in total.

In order to participate, a GPS unit is required, and Holman said you get what you pay for, adding the higher priced models produce better results.

GPS units are NOT required. I know of a few people who go caching without them.

Higher price units do not give better results. You can find caches just as effectively with a $100 unit as you can with a $500 unit.

More elaborate caches may contain treasure hunt items such as maps, books, CDs, jewelry, and tickets, held in sealed plastic bags and nestled inside a plastic bucket concealed within the cache.

So the toys go in bags, the bags go in a plastic bucket, and then the bucket goes in the cache? :(

demonstrates using a Global Positioning System unit to find geocaches –
It helps if the GPS is on.
The satellites send signals in sound and light waves to five machines located around the earth
Sound waves, through space? 5 Machines? WAAS uses ground stations to provide a differential correction, but the standard GPS system doesn’t use ground machines that I know of.
the satellites track your position,
Nope, The GPS tracks your positions, the Satellites just send a signal.
held in sealed plastic bags and nestled inside a plastic bucket concealed within the cache.
That’s a lot of work. Find the cache, find the hidden bucket, then un-nestle the plastic bag.
Satellites do not see through trees,
Heck did they ever see at all? I thought the signal they send was blocked by trees…
Holman said GPS technology was developed by the U.S. Navy as a way to home in on sites for defense.

Gore also invented the internet. Unlike Gore I'll be the Navy helped.

In order to participate, a GPS unit is required,
The GPS just makes it easier, but it’s not requied.
All you really need to know is to turn the GPS unit on, push 'go to' and a compass will appear,"
You have to goto a waypoint. The missing step is important.
"Then follow the arrow and the unit will tell you when you are approaching a landmark
We have landmark proximity alarms now? The arrow should take you to the vicinity of the cache (or the landmark if that’s your destination.
If the arrow is not moving, you need to walk around a bit so the satellite will pick you up."
Usually that means your GPS has locked up, but if the meaning is really that the arrow is flipping about you need to move so the GPS can ‘get it’s bearings”. Then again the satellite doesn’t track you, the GPS does. If the satellite did pick me up that would be a form of Celestial Hitchhiking which does have a certain appeal.

I failed. I could not find just ONE.

In spite of the errors, this article was positive, and the presenter was doing a good job promoting geocaching. It still gets a thumbs up, and that’s no mistake.

Top Story from the Benton Evening News

I found a mistake...can you find ONE?

Bret

I think I found it.

Is it this paragraph?

"The satellites send signals in sound and light waves to five machines located around the earth," Holman said. "You can use these signals to find and relocate spots you have marked."

So the new, clueless people can see the rules.

Edited by Gecko1