No Photos Permitted - Burlington Cty Times

NorStar

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/112...005-516270.html

The article says that the Burlington County Bridge Commission has a new policy that forbids people from taking photographs of bridges while on commission owned land (the article also states that the commission can't enforce the policy off commission property, but you may still be stopped and questioned). :(

I Found this article from an online newsletter that I get. Also, announced a couple days ago, photography is now not permitted at any MBTA station platform.

By the way, are any of the spires on the bridge a benchmark??? :(

0719james.jpg

It seem's Ironic they can place a picture of the bridge in the article,but you can't photograph it.

I had a run in with Burlington(Railroad) in Montana last month.

The Questioned me and followed me the whole time I was in the area of an overpass with a benchmark an their rail line,fooled them on the CORS station though.

They caught back up to me at Pompey's Pillar via the Local Sheriff.

But when I showed I>D> things changed.

I did not post the picture though.

Yes Security levels are up,but...............

A policy that only impinges freedom and liberty, but doesn't do anything real insofar as the terrorism they are using to justify it.

I wonder why people don't solve the real problme and instead just focus on the worthless feel good measures that just create work, problems, and strife while not actualy solving a thing?

Exactly.

When 9/11 happened I was flying aerial advertising for a living. After the attacks the TSA imposed heavy restrictions on where aerial advertisers could fly their banners. In the spring of 2002 my then boss and I flew to DC for a meeting at TSA headquarters. The purpose of the meeting was to allow the TSA to hear public comments regarding their policies dealing with flying over stadiums. While attending this meeting I got to ride in an elevator with one the top level TSA officials and I spoke to her about how the restrictions the TSA were imposing were causing many aerial advertisers to lose not only their businesses but also their homes and life savings and how pointless it was because the imposed restrictions did absolutely nothing to increase anyone’s safety. I still remember her response word for word. She said 'we know these rules don't make anyone any safer but we had to do something.' Nice. If you can't make the people safe (and you can't), you have to make the people think they're safe.

BTW of the 45 or so people who spoke that day exactly one of them was in favor of the stadium restrictions. The result? Three years later the restrictions are still in place. Nice to know they were listening.

A reminder for those who have not seen them before.

ACLU Bust Card information on your rights if you are detained and/or arrested.

The Photographers Right information about your right to take pictures in most locations.

Model trains and railfanning are another hobby of mine. Taking pictures of trains near DC will get someone to talk to you quickly, fortunately most of the police around here know the law and do just that, some talking.

Note, in Virginia it is illegal to "loiter on a bridge", which has been used to harass some rail fans standing on sidewalks on bridges to take pictures of trains. Since some benchmarks are on bridges keep that in mind. I believe it is a $500 fine.

A policy that only impinges freedom and liberty, but doesn't do anything real insofar as the terrorism they are using to justify it.

I wonder why people don't solve the real problme and instead just focus on the worthless feel good measures that just create work, problems, and strife while not actualy solving a thing?

Solving the real problem involves terminating the services of many "public" servants.....

Don't get the dolphin started again! It is, of course, strictly forbidden to take pictures On New York/New Jersey Port Authority Bridges, or in their tunnels. No restrictions (that I have heard of) of taking pictures of their tunnels or bridges. Unfortunately, Joe Gremiln's explanation makes the most sense.

So, in my continuing effort to show the world pictures OF Port Authority bridges, here is a shot of the George Washington Bridge, taken from Fort Lee Historic Park, Fort Lee, New Jersey. By George! What a bridge.

The Jeffrey's Point Lighthouse cab be seen at the bae of the Bridge, at Fort Washington, on the other side of the river.

It is nice to know that we are so much safer, since photography has been banned from Port Authority bridges and tunnels.

Not to defend the port authorty, but many locations ban photos from bridges because many were designed years ago for pedistrian standards which are now, frankly, a liability. Narrow walkways, sometimes not separated from traffic by a barrier and photographers setting up tripods and the like don't mix well. I can more or less understand.

However, those trying to prevent you from taking a picture of a bridge, which some are trying to do, that's just stupid.

Dunno, Bicknell. "Photography Strictly Forbidden". The George Washington Bridge has a very nice pedestrian walkway. Bicyclists are welcomed. There are even races run across the bridge. The tunnels, on the other hand, have absolutely no pedestrian walkways. Same sign is posted there.

Incidentally, the photo is of a very nice pedestrian vertical lift bridge! Someone should log it for the locationless cache! :)

A reminder for those who have not seen them before.

ACLU Bust Card information on your rights if you are detained and/or arrested.

The Photographers Right information about your right to take pictures in most locations.

Model trains and railfanning are another hobby of mine. Taking pictures of trains near DC will get someone to talk to you quickly, fortunately most of the police around here know the law and do just that, some talking.

Note, in Virginia it is illegal to "loiter on a bridge", which has been used to harass some rail fans standing on sidewalks on bridges to take pictures of trains. Since some benchmarks are on bridges keep that in mind. I believe it is a $500 fine.

There was just an article in the paper about New Jersey Transit, requiring a permit to take pictures of trains. I think the bill was going throught the legislature.

I myself was recently questioned by police for taking pictures of power lines near a railroad while trying to test the autofocus on my digital camera.