Rupert's Revenge

nfa

Hi,

For those people who were/are perplexed by Rupert's Cash Cache, there is a new cache in town. Constance's Cache is a similar cache, but with a different twist and cryptography methodology. Like Rupert's, there are some serious prizes for finders. While Rupert's was based on a cash theft, Constance's is based on the theft of a private, museum quality, collection.

There are all sorts of cool stuff contained in the loot, but the prize of the collection was, and is, the Van De Kamp Meteorite, an actual meteorite that travelled the universe before landing on earth and eventually ending up in a private collection in Harpswell, Maine. The meteorite, and other valuable objects are contained in this cache hidden in the adks...waiting for the geocacher clever enough to unravel the mystery.

Good Luck!!!

NFA-Jamie

ps - I just listed this thing, so don't assume I know about the cache location, I'm just working for Rupert.

Rupert told me that the Alphabet is as follows:

a thru z, comma, period, 1 thru 9

...and Rupert told me to pass on an apology to Theragleb, prison has made him cranky, and he was just so amazed that someone without the insider's knowledge that Rupert and Zach had could figure out the cryptogram...I'm amazed also, I don't get these crypto-thingies at all :)

nfa-jamie

ps - I just went and checked, and it's not in the garage

Edited by NFA
Rupert told me that the Alphabet is as follows:

a thru z, comma, period, 1 thru 9

...and Rupert told me to pass on an apology to Theragleb, prison has made him cranky, and he was just so amazed that someone without the insider's knowledge that Rupert and Zach had could figure out the cryptogram...I'm amazed also, I don't get these crypto-thingies at all :laughing:

nfa-jamie

ps - I just went and checked, and it's not in the garage

My favorite thing to post now is the phrase "apology accepted" (see the long, locked thread from yesterday).

So Rupert: Apology accepted. :)

Thanks for the alphabet too!

While seeing this new puzzle come out, I revisited Rupert's first cache... and actually managed to crack it. I'm visiting Jersey in September, but the first cache is probably too far away to justify hitting for the short time I'll be there...

... unless I can crack Constance's at the same time. :rolleyes:

What I need:

1) Alphabet - check. (Truly no zeros in alphabet???)

2) Ciphertext - check. (Or has this been monkeyed with?)

3) Encryption method. Straight Vigenere - check?

(or is Vigenere "Modified" beyond the alphabet change?)

4) Key (or hint for it) - Nope/maybe

5) Crib - Nope.

6) Length of key - Nope.

7) Ideas - Nope. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty hopeless right now.

What I need:

1) Alphabet - check. (Truly no zeros in alphabet???) Check...truly

2) Ciphertext - check. (Or has this been monkeyed with?) Check...no monkey

3) Encryption method. Straight Vigenere - check?

(or is Vigenere "Modified" beyond the alphabet change?) Check...no modified

4) Key (or hint for it) - Nope/maybe ...see #7 below

5) Crib - Nope. ...nope

6) Length of key - Nope....as long as needed

7) Ideas - Nope. :D...Rupert told me that Constance should be able to solve the puzzle using her knowledge of vigenere encryption, a pad of graph-paper, and a printout of the cache listing...no square root of 13 derivation, no 2nd paragraph on page 17 of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" required, and while solving Fermat's Final Puzzle on the Pythagorean theorem might be fun...it is not necessary in this case.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, as long as you can accept that my answer might be "no comment" from time to time.

Jamie-nfa

Edited by NFA

I've been in touch with Rupert and some other sharp cryptgraphers, and have altered the listing to address a potential problem with the cryptogram. there are also a few additional hints added as Rupert got a message from Constance saying, "HUH?".

nfa-jamie