Used Ebay Gps No Pc Drivers

Doc&Jo

I just bought a Garmin etrax Vista off Ebay :D . It works excellent now that I figured it out but I don't have any drivers or software to link to my Windows XP PC. I have the serial cable but that is all. I want to start geocacheing but I need to link it to my pc. Any help would be appreciated.

skittelsmanandchocolady :D

Geocaching swiss army knife

GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, conversion to many mapping formats, HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more.

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

I'm new to this, too. I have an eTrex Legend, and I just go to the "mark" section, name the cache, and enter the coordinates using the mini-joystick. I don't link to my computer at all. Works fine. I'm not saying there are no advantages to computer linkage, I just don't know what they are.

Connecting the GPSr to the computer and downloading the .loc or preferably, the .gpx files, allows you to get hundreds of waypoints into the GPSr very quickly . . .

and most importantly, there won't be any errors. I made a six-mile error entering the waypoints by hand for one of the earliest caches I was searching for. :laughing:

It is nice to know how to enter a waypoint by hand, but I can't imagine living without Pocket Queries, .gpx files, GSAK, and Cachemate on my Palm M500.

Saves trees this way because I don't print anything out on paper. :)

I have an etrex vista c. I originally used the trip and waypoint manager software that came with the unit. You can get it from Garmin for about $30. It will allow you to download mapping and routing to your GPS. However, it is not a detailed map. I bought the more detailed City Select v. 6 and am very happy with it. If you also want to download cache coordinates from geocaching.com then you can download Easy GPS for free.