.loc Files Into Garmin?

ColdZeroWV

OK, I'm not the most technical in the world, but I do know my way around a few electronics. I'm a newbie, and got a GPS 76CS. The Software that came with it to transfer waypoints won't allow me to transfer the .loc files that I use to download the caches off this site. I'm sure it's probably simple, but if someone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Stay Safe.

GSAK is great, but it might be a bit much for a novice. EasyGPS is free and very easy to use.

Also, since you have a 76CS, use GPX files instead of LOC. GPX files will value the comment field with the name and owner of the cache. A helpful little feature.

The problem I'm trying to solve, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong forum, is why does my pocket queries always come out in .loc format, there's no place to change it to .gpx I am a premium member, which it says is a requirement, but everytime I go to download it, it comes out in .loc format.

GSAK is great, but it might be a bit much for a novice.  EasyGPS is free and very easy to use.

Also, since you have a 76CS, use GPX files instead of LOC.  GPX files will value the comment field with the name and owner of the cache. A helpful little feature.

The problem I'm trying to solve, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong forum, is why does my pocket queries always come out in .loc format, there's no place to change it to .gpx I am a premium member, which it says is a requirement, but everytime I go to download it, it comes out in .loc format.

About halfway down the PQ page there is a dropdown box that says "In The Format". You can use this to select GPX files. See below:

392361fd-5381-4b54-8850-ecf00a1f39eb.jpg

See, that's where I'm confused, I did it exactly that way, and when I get to the query page, I click on download, and I get:

File Name: geocaching.loc

File Type: gsak

SO, if I'm reading it right, it's still downloading the filename as a .loc file? Right? or do I just download it, and change it to .gpx with GSAK?

See, that's where I'm confused, I did it exactly that way, and when I get to the query page, I click on download, and  I get:

File Name: geocaching.loc

File Type: gsak

SO, if I'm reading it right, it's still downloading the filename as a .loc file? Right? or do I just download it, and change it to .gpx with GSAK?

I'm not sure what you mean by "clicking on dowload". All you have to do is click on Submit Information (see pic above).

Edited by briansnat

When I runthe pocket query and it takes me to the query page results, don't I check them all, and download into a file to transfer into the GPS? OR are you guys saying to download each individual cache into .gpx from the individual cache's page? I was thinking you can check all the caches on the box at the right of the search results, and download them all at once. When I click on "Download Waypoints" at the bottom of the page, I get the above message. I think I may have confused myself.

When I runthe pocket query and it takes me to the query page results, don't I check them all, and download into a file to transfer into the GPS? OR are you guys saying to download each individual cache into .gpx from the individual cache's page? I was thinking you can check all the caches on the box at the right of the search results, and download them all at once. When I click on "Download Waypoints" at the bottom of the page, I get the above message. I think I may have confused myself.

No need to check any dowload boxes. You run the PQ and a file is sent to your e-mail address. Save it to your disk, then send it to your GPS using whatever program you prefer.

You seem to be clicking on the "you can run the search on the nearest page" message after submitting your PQ. That will give you a list of caches similar to what you see from a regular search and yes, on those pages you can only get LOC files.

Thanks, got it figured out, i was doing exactly that. Thanks for answering dumb questions.

BTW if you are not getting your PQ files, make sure you zip them first. Some ISPs flag them as spam, or as containing a virus.

I just discovered the strangest thing. Creating a zip file from a PQ seems to be the default action. Additionally this zip file which is created automatically unless you take a specific action to prevent it from being created, is also created as a .GPX file by default. I think that they are trying to make it relatively gorilla proof, thank goodness fer that, eh? And even though you might make the mistake of clicking on "you can run the search on the nearest page", you still get the zipped file sent to you in .GPX format. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati