Aargh!!!!

In the area where you parked, about 6 months ago, the police had a high level check on the car parks. They left "Nothing of Value" signs on the car windscreens, not sure if you can still get them.

The latest government campaign is worth a look, I've seen a new version of those signs that are a "do not disturb"-type hook for your rear-view mirror that says "NO VALUABLES IN GLOVEBOX, NO VALUABLES IN BOOT", etc. etc.

Website's worth a look, got some eye-opening video footage and stats on there.

PS - As someone said earlier, thanks for the reminder. Complacency is the enemy!

James

I could always kick TDW until he coughs up an yellow

now there's an image

oh shush! :laughing:

So, it was nice to have the chance to vent, and I appreciate the good wishes I have had as a result of this thread, but I think that the popularity of this topic has got nothing to do with me, but has more to do with the fact that this is a subject that can affect us all, and has affected quite a few of us.

Following on from some recent threads, regarding personal safety, I wonder if we should have a pinned topic where people can post handy hints and tips and perhaps just reminders about car security, personal security, and health and safety matters relating to being in the great outdoors?

... please tell me it wasn't at about 8:30 on tuesday night?

... please tell me you don't own a white car?

... and please tell me you weren't parked up on the grass on the right hand side (if driving away from the beacon toward Ashridge?)

I was out for a bit of a hoon on my bike and had stopped in the main carpark for a break but decided not to stop too long as there were way to many groups of kids in cars hanging around (hate to sterotype but I was concerned about getting the bike pushed off the stand whilst I stretched my legs) as I rode toward Ashridge I was vaguely aware of a couple of cars parked up on the right ... one white and the other blue ... not sure of the makes ... wish I could have paid a bit more attention to what they were but was watching the road/cattle grid ... sorry.

M

Yup that's my car (white) and the one we saw speeding away (blue). Don't feel bad, unless he actually had a stripey sweater on and a bag marked 'swag' over his shoulder, I doubt that he would have been very noticable, and I may well not have stopped myself in your situation!

Edited by Alibags
You might have useful information Choccy whatever the colour of the cars.

... I really wish I did have more info, the simple fact is I don't :D all I can say is what is written above.

The only reason I glanced a look was because there's a cache up there! Not sure about the rest of you but it's one of those "caching things" ... you know where the cache is and you know where the parking place is, as you drive past you give it more than a casual glance in case there's someone there you recognise (or might recognise when met at a later date?) Had I not been on the bike I would have probably seen more and taken in more.

I have taken to leaving spent shotgun shells on the dash and floor of my landrover in the hope that a would be thief may reconsider if they think the owner might be nearby with a shotgun.

I do not actually own a shotgun mind you.... just collect the shells whilst out geocaching.

I have taken to leaving spent shotgun shells on the dash and floor of my landrover in the hope that a would be thief may reconsider if they think the owner might be nearby with a shotgun.

I do not actually own a shotgun mind you.... just collect the shells whilst out geocaching.

Good approach......i DO own shotguns.. :rolleyes: .Anyone who wants fresh USED shells just ask. i only shoot car thieves :laughing: