Aargh!!!!

:(

Lovely evening caching spoiled by some lovely person smashing my car window and nicking various stuff from out of my boot. I can claim for camera, GPS (yes, she did say GPS!!) etc on the car insurance, but my bag of caching also contained various TBs. I feel especially gutted that I now have to tell some nice folks that their TBs have prematurely met their maker.

I know I am not the first cacher this has happend to, and will most likely not be the last, but I am not inconsiderably displeased about it all.

:D:D:D:D

I have taken to parking my car in dodgy areas and hiding close by in the bushes with a stick, which in poor light could be mistaken for AK47. It's the only way.

Seriously, I'm very sorry this has happened to you - and every other cacher I've heard of that's been car-fooked. Every time I park on a remote corner I know I'm taking a risk but hearing about it happening again does make me worry.

I hope everyone who lost a TB understands and that the insurance company is both generous and speedy. I know - Like Errol Brown, I believe im miracles.

SP

I was with Ali at the time.......We saw a grey haired man in his fifties buggering off from right by Ali's car...He was driving a dark blue Renault Clio with a purple drivers door...front drivers wing looked poorly painted to, We didnt get the index plate however...

So im asking you all to keep a look out for a dark blue renault clio in the Herts / Beds / Bucks area...it has an obvious purple drivers door...Anybody clocking it drop Ali or myself an email ..thanks

Edited by third-degree-witch
I was with Ali at the time.......We saw a grey haired man in his fifties buggering off from right by Ali's car...He was driving a dark blue Renault Clio with a purple drivers door...front drivers wing looked poorly painted to, We didnt get the index plate however...

So im asking you all to keep a look out for a dark blue renault clio in the Herts / Beds / Bucks area...it has an obvious purple drivers door...Anybody clocking it drop Ali or myself an email ..thanks

I think that enough detail to place a hex, don't you?

I was doing The Watcher Gives series, but that is no reflection on Bekandian, the setters. Cars seem to get broken into with alarming regularity all around the Ivinghoe Beacon, Pitstone Hill, Ashridge Estate area. It could happen at my cache. It happened to House of Boo when they were parked, not to do my cache, but very close by. Nor do I believe that this is confined to this area. I don't suppose there is any way to avoid this, but I would like to think that everybody was now a bit more vigilant, as I know just how easy it is to slip into "it can never happen to me" mentality.

The very nice man is going to come round and put some perspex in my window as a temporary repair, sometime after 1.00 am, deep joy!

Do you think the insurance company will entertain my claim for a bag of a dozen SP 'pink things' which was also taken?

Hi,

Sorry to hear this Ali, I must admit I leave impotant stuff in my car because I cant be bothered to carry them on my long walks ( yes my mobile ) I know this is bad It could be needed if I get into any danger.

I always walk off looking back thinking oh it will be safe. You can be anywhere and if some idiots going to do this they will, dont matter where you are.

I will be more vigilant from now on, I am sure the owners of the TBs will understand, it wasnt anyones fault.

Yorkypudding.

as said by all the others. hold out some hope....these gits often ditch the bag nearby after getting any good stuff out so the bugs might reappear.

make sure police aware. can't be too many car thieves driving such a distinctive car! you wonder how these numb nuts survive really. i mean if you were going to break the law would you make the getaway car so easy to spot?

here's hoping.

Really sorry to hear about your car Ali, but just a thought about the grey haired man-maybe he was just a passing innocent and happened to notice your car had been broken itnto? Usually this sort of thing is done by the younger generation, but I suppose you can never tell these days :D

Our car was also broken into-but not in this area, and all we lost was 2 pairs of trainers!!!!!!(very used ones too :D !!!) so we know about the inconvenience of it all. We never leave anything in the car when we go off walking so you can imagine our surprise when we got back, got 2 Dnf's also which didn't help :D !!!!

We hope your car makes a speedy recovery and we can all live in hope that some of your stuff turns up, AB&LBxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by ANDYBUG&LADYBIRD

Hey People - How many times have you heard the advice to NEVER leave anything valuable in a car? It doesn't matter if it can't be seen, just don't do it...

Our two cars have been vandalised three times at our local nature reserve but nothing was stolen because we never leave anything in them... Do please heed this simple advice..

The chances of recovering the stolen property are less than nil. Our local police told us this - they just log such events for statistical purposes. They just don't have the resources - and you only have to see the little piles of broken glass in almost any open car park you visit to realise this.

Our advise is that if you have an estate,  DONT pull the boot cover over as it only makes the bastards more curious.

Better still, buy an Audi A2. That has a secret boot compartment under the main boot. Leave the cover open and still keep everything out of sight. :D

-

I expect a fair portion of thieves know about that aswell.

:D Sorry to hear that you have now joined us and many others, who have had their cars broken into whilst caching. It seems this 'club' has a growing membership which is unfortunate, as we would like to keep membership down to a minimum (ideally zero). I know the frustration and inconvenience it brings and you have our sympathy. All we can do is to try not to subscribe again and not to donate too much to the a-holes who are always on the prowl. :D Edited by The Ollies

Better still, buy an Audi A2. That has a secret boot compartment under the main boot. Leave the cover open and still keep everything out of sight. :D

-

They might do now - D'oh! Hehe! Jo has an A2 but we try never to leave anything in it but there is always that once.

So sorry this has happened Ali - hope you had that White Jeep safe :D

Our advise is that if you have an estate,  DONT pull the boot cover over as it only makes the bastards more curious.

Better still, buy an Audi A2. That has a secret boot compartment under the main boot. Leave the cover open and still keep everything out of sight. :(

-

They do now.

:( Sorry to hear about his Allie, as I am definitely guilty of leaving things in plain sight while going off to do a 5-10 minute cache that often takes much longer. I also can't be bothered to take the whole rucksack with me on these short jaunts and just take what I need..gps, swops, TB's etc. but often leave the phone, camera etc sitting in plain sight. I will definitely take more care in the future.

Thanks for the wake-up call. I think it needs to be posted as a reminder every 2-3 months or so as I am sure we all get complacent or sloppy after doing several caches in a day. the more tired we get the less we want to tote.

Lynn

To prevent the situation poor Alibags found herself in I like the suggestion that was made a few years ago. Store a v.v big battery in the boot of your car that gives off an electric shock of about 2000V if anyone touches it and prey they don't have a pacemaker! :(

On a serious note, comiserations to Alibags. We did the Liverpool beat series at the weekend and were almost constantly worried that we could have met the same fate. :(

Commiserations Ali...

We did a new cache at the weekend - On the Liverpool Loop, and we had to leave the car in a VV Dodgy area, and the place it was hidden in, I certainly would not have frequented if I wasn't with my 6ft 4" skinhead Phill!!

It's a shame that life has become like that!

Better still, buy an Audi A2.  That has a secret boot compartment under the main boot.  Leave the cover open and still keep everything out of sight.  :(

-

They would have to have bloody long arms to reach into it through a broken rear window though. :(

Put a suitcase full of bricks in the main boot and it would be impossible. :(

-

It’s a shame when this sort of thing happens Spain had the right attitude I saw 3 chaps getting seriously beat up with truncheons just for hanging around cars looking suspicious.

Just a Question though.

If you were doing a cache why were the travel bugs and the GPS in the car.?

We usually take that stuff with us.

Ok none of my business LOL

The reason my GPS was in the car is because I am a lazy g*t and was using another one, which already had the caches programmed into it. :-( I am so glad I didn't sell my Venture as now I can still go caching whilst the insurance is sorted out.

None of the stuff had special sentimental value... with the exception of my 'Pharisee style' leather hat, which is an old friend. It's more of a pain than a great upset.

I have been as guilty as everyone else of feeling indestructible when caching and almost being blasé about leaving stuff in the car. This is not a mistake I will repeat readily. Hope TDW doesn't recount the tale of when I went away for three days leaving my garage wide open, containing motorbike, mountain bike, petrol generator, camping gear, etc etc and NOTHING was touched. I suppose my dumb luck could not last indefinately. :(

Thanks for all your good wishes, but please, take this as a warning, and be careful out there!

We did a new cache at the weekend - On the Liverpool Loop, and we had to leave the car in a VV Dodgy area, and the place it was hidden in

Hey what about we poor beggars who are coming to find it!

Seriously though I am very sorry for Alison having had a similar experience a couple of years ago, also while caching. Its all the nuisance of repairing the car etc which gets you as I must say I came out rather well on the contents having an old laptop replaced by one which cost 10 times more than the one I lost (and the claim was perfectly honest, the old one was a bankrupt clearance). But the moral really was that it should not have been there.

We did a new cache at the weekend - On the Liverpool Loop, and we had to leave the car in a VV Dodgy area, and the place it was hidden in

Sorry John...

Meant to read that we went to FIND a new cache on Sunday!! :(

I have noticed on several occasions recently, jumping out of my car, to the familiar sound of broken windscreen glass underfoot...

I tend to have a good look around now betore leaving my little chariot parked up at the end of a remote bridleway.

I have moved on to park elsewhere a few times before.

I now regularly empty the boot, remove the bootlid cover and open the glove box - such a pain but increasingly necessary these days :(

Jon

[Or I could leave Mrs.D in the car of course - that'll scare 'em off...]

:(:(:(

I'm sorry to hear that - I had the same thing happen last month. I parked at the end of a bridleway to do two caches, and came back to find a rear passenger window had been smashed. Fortunately nothing was taken in my case, but I'm still finding pieces of broken glass.

I thought at the time it might deter me from parking in remote spots again, but it hasn't done.

I hope your insurance company sort things quickly.

Think it is a fact of like now, park your car with anything of value in and some bastard will nick it!!!!!!!!! :(

About three years ago, I stopped in the Little Chef, (Little Thief), on the A5 just North of Dunstable, for a quick pee. Could have only been in the place for 5 minutes and my Notebook/GPS had gone!!!!!

Police said, "what do you expect".

I drive a van, and always but everything in the back of it now, sign of the times I think :(

In the area where you parked, about 6 months ago, the police had a high level check on the car parks. They left "Nothing of Value" signs on the car windscreens, not sure if you can still get them.

Nick

Sorry to hear about it Alison. They culprit would have received a severe kicking if I had come across him attempting it on my car, but it helps being 6'3" and 15 stone.

However a small question to all who have suffered this fate, have your cars been new models and so fitted with the up to date intruder alarms or that of the older variety?

2202 wrote:

However a small question to all who have suffered this fate, have your cars been new models and so fitted with the up to date intruder alarms or that of the older variety?

Mine's old, and has no alarm. However, I think the spot was remote enough that an alarm wouldn't have deterred anyone.

Sorry John...

Meant to read that we went to FIND a new cache on Sunday!! :(

It's me who should be sorry for not spotting that you were not the owners of that cache.

Aw, thanks for the offer Daisy and man, but I still have my Venture and I could always kick TDW until he coughs up an yellow if desperate and there is even the yellow owned by my geomuggle other half that I could swipe, so normal geocaching can go on as usual... although not in my car until I actually get some glass in the door!!