Questions For Parents Of Small Kids

miles58

How far can 4-8 yo kids go without getting done. I am going to place a multi that has a couple of clue micros and a couple of ammo boxes before you get to the big cache. Can I get away with stringing it out over a little more than a half mile one way if the clues and the ammo boxes are kind of evenly spaced?

I have done much longer with my 4 y/o, half a mile would be ok I think. All the multi's I have done have been all micro containers until the final, so several large ones would really thrill my little girl. But some days it doesnt take long for the dreaded words "my feet are tired" to be uttered. She is perfectly happy to cache all day atop daddies shoulders.

Edited by Gozz

Easy! When my boys were just 5 years we did a cache that we thought was 1/2 mile each way - and should've been. But the route we took was 2 miles in, and 1/2 mile out. As long as there were sticks to find and rocks to throw they were happy. Oh, and water and food [:(]

Edited by pdxmarathonman

It really depends on the kid. I know parents who have taken 5 and 6 year olds on 6+ miles hikes. My step daughter on the other hand would start whining about 5 minutes into a hike when she was that age.

You know your kids better than anyone. Watch the signals they give. When their enthusiasm starts to wane, it might be a good time to turn around. If you wait until they whine, its been too long. You're better off leaving them wanting more than going too far.

On average I'd say 3/4 to 1 mile round trip (on fairly even ground).

Can I get away with stringing it out over a little more than a half mile one way if the clues and the ammo boxes are kind of evenly spaced?

Yes. How interesting the surroundings and the clues make a difference.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I cache mostly with my 3 and 5 year old (my 3 year old is only 26 pounds --not on the large side). As long as the terrain is not too dramatic with elevation changes or steep inclines they have done a 2 mile in and 2 mile out that I am sure of. We may have down longer but I am not sure. My main things is that they have mini back packs with water, easy snacks (fruit bars, granola bars and raisins) that we stop on occasion to rest and enjoy. I make sure they have gone to the bathroom so we do not need to stop in the woods too soon. I also let them know if it will be "a long walk" or not. http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/9c339...9de766cf674.jpg. I am not sure if the picture worked.

Edit to state my 7 year old went to with us to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d3-a9de766cf674. GCKAMZ. She can read and would be offended to be left out.

Edited by 1BuzyMom
last summer our 3 yo did several 3-6 mile hikes with us goign after caches. some with 1000+ feet of elevation gain. He walked the whole way by himself. Just go slow and have lots of snacks water.

And now many weeks did that take! :D

I get annoyed just waiting for them to walk from the car to the house!

When our son was 4, he went on a 4 mile hike. When he was 5, he went on an eight mile hike, when he was 8, he went on an eighteen mile hike. All of those were also with his sister, who is 3 years older than him.

I think it just depends on your lifestyle, and how much excersize your child gets. If they are not used to more physical activity, it can be hard on them, just like for adults. I have always found that the kids usually have more energy and interest than us adults. :D

My 3 year old daughter is content to walk the half mile each way, as long as I don't mind her slow pace and her willingness to investigate every possible distraction along the way. If I fear poison ivy or nettles, I just carry her on my shoulders. It gives me a good workout and keeps the itchiness away from her wandering arms and legs.

How far can 4-8 yo kids go without getting done.

That's a good question, it kind of depends on their size. Probably about 20-25 minutes per side if you're grilling them over high heat. If you want to barbecue them, though, I would recommend slow roasting them over low coals for about 4 hours with some mesquite smoke and a Kansas-City type tomato based barbecue sauce.

Edited by ParrotRob
How far can 4-8 yo kids go without getting done.

That's a good question, it kind of depends on their size. Probably about 20-25 minutes per side if you're grilling them over high heat. If you want to barbecue them, though, I would recommend slow roasting them over low coals for about 4 hours with some mesquite smoke and a Kansas-City type tomato based barbecue sauce.

Thank you, WC.

:D

last summer our 3 yo did several 3-6 mile hikes with us goign after caches.  some with 1000+ feet of elevation gain.  He walked the whole way by himself.  Just go slow and have lots of snacks water.

And now many weeks did that take! :D

I get annoyed just waiting for them to walk from the car to the house!

I think much of it has to do with what activity level the children are used to regardless of age. I refuse to carry my kids..I prefer taking a break instead. As long as it is not a rapid change in elevation they thinks it is a kid's hike not a "grown-up" hike. We have now doe over a 4 mile hike. me and 3,5,7 year olds. All girls for you sexists out there. I know I should not have added that but...Oh well.

dinger jr. has gone on VERY long hikes with me. This cache required a hike of just over 2.5 miles from where we parked, and I never had to carry him at all. Did I mention he was still 2 months shy of his 3rd birthday at the time? :D

I have put nearly 4 miles on his legs in a single hike, usually with me carrying him at times. Then there are THOSE days when he will refuse to take another step after we reach a cache and insist on riding my shoulders the entire way back.

I think you're much more likely to wear the parents out than the kids with that hike.