60cs Bearing Question

SixTen

I recently purchased a 60CS...and I love it! However, I am trying to do a cache that requires you to proceed x feet, bearing x degrees from the posted coordinates to arrive at the next clue...from there you need to proceed y feet, bearing y degrees to the next step...etc etc.

I am not sure how to get the 60Cs to display the bearing in degrees...I have "Bearing" chosen as one of the data fields, but it shows the direction as N, or SW...not as a degree...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Six

If you wanted the project waypoint, be aware that the distance must be in hundredths of a mile. If the distance is less than 500 feet or so, it might be easier to leave the waypoint in and use the reverse bearing. Add or subtract 180 from the given heading to get that. You would need to do what gps_mountainbiker said to be able to do that. If you are using meters, I'm not sure what the cut off would be for one method to be better than the other.

If you wanted the project waypoint, be aware that the distance must be in hundredths of a mile.  If the distance is less than 500 feet or so, it might be easier to leave the waypoint in and use the reverse bearing.  Add or subtract 180 from the given heading to get that.  You would need to do what gps_mountainbiker said to be able to do that.  If you are using meters, I'm not sure what the cut off would be for one method to be better than the other.

I used to think this too, but you can change the units. Cursor over to the little 'mi' in the lower right corner and hit ENTR. A hidden menu pops up right there and lets you change the projection units to mi, ft, yd, km, m, nm. From there, you can select miles, feet, yards, kilometers, meters or nautical miles. A link with more details is in question 8 of the waypoints section of the FAQ.

Edit: screen shot.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Hey sputnik57, thanks for that. Amazing the things they don't tell you in the manual. I don't think I had ever looked at the contextual menu for the waypoint screen except once when I had to project a waypoint. That one turned out to be 0.21 miles or something like that so I didn't need to change the units.