Linux Gps Software

I'd love to be able to manage the waypoints using some sort of friendly list view. I tried gpsman, but the interface has a number of atrocious problems.

I would guess I'm looking for something akin to GSAK, but as I don't really have any experience with that software (I tested it out on another computer, but just once), I'm not entirely sure!

Using gpsbabel for PocketQueries should work nicely, I suppose. A visual tool would just be icing on the cake :rolleyes:

I would guess I'm looking for something akin to GSAK, but as I don't really have any experience with that software (I tested it out on another computer, but just once), I'm not entirely sure!

I am a computer systems admin working with Linux and other flavors of UNIX for more years than I want to admit. I have pondered this same question, but was going to search the archives before posting the question myself. I am very interested in seeing what responses come in.

I don't like M$ Windows. Never have. Never will. Can't say that strong enough. When my employer got me a new laptop, the first thing I did was wipe Windows and install Linux. But I just can't win the battle to keep M$ Windows out of my house. We use it for Quicken and for the family tree program that my wife has several years of work into.

NOTE: I do not want to start or participate in a Windows vs. anything else debate. I just want to be clear about my perspective / bias going into this discussion of GPS software on Linux.

So I wanted to see what the software that came with my Garmin GPS Map60C can do. Then I would be able to have a reference point for comparison when looking at software offered for Linux. I loaded the Garmin Waypoint Manager onto my wife's windows system. It's Okay, but it is not enough to make me want to use Windows for GPS stuff.

Then I checked out GSAK. This program is everything one could want for Geocaching. I have seen lots of software in my many years in this business and I will say this is one of the best and most useful programs I have used. I have registered my copy. I run that package on the Windows box at home regularly. Oh how I wish this same package would run on my Linux Laptop. It would be so helpful to be able to carry GSAK and the data I have loaded into it out in the field when I am geocaching.

GSAK is now the yardstick that I will measure all other such software against. GSAK is exactly the functionality that I would like to have available to me under Linux. I have even considered contacting Clyde to see if he would consider a compile of his code with the WINE libraries. WINE is package that let's one run compatible programs that were written for Windows under Linux. I have tried to install the standard GSAK distribution under generic WINE but it does not work.

I find that trying to be different and use software that is better for your needs often comes at a price. As everyone here knows I LOVE my iBook. I had nothing but problems with our windows laptops.

I just got my Ubuntu (linux distro) cd's last night and spent a few hours playing with it live cd. I was rather impressed with only two major flaws.

1. It won't work with my built in wireless card. I may buy a wi-fi dongle.

2. No geocaching software.

As people debate the benefits of other operating systems, one thing is clear. Mac users are a very small bunch of people compared to windows users. People who run linux are much more rare, and that much geekier. If you make the switch to open source software it comes with the heavy realization that you must give up the use of some good programs written for other os's. The best way to overcome this is to make one for open source that is better than what is out there already.

Joe Smith

2. (Ubutnu has) No geocaching software.

I haven't actually used that strain, but I have strong reason to believe that Ubuntu includes GPSBabel. No, it's not GSAK but it'll get your PQ into a GPS a form ready for a PDA.

Mac users are a very small bunch of people compared to windows users. People who run linux are much more rare, and that much geekier.

That very much matches my impressions in GPSBabel-land. The Linux crowd is much more self-serving. I've had exactly zero takers on my

request for help in Mac .