Pda And Etrex Legend

Hi,

This may have been brought up before, but a search didn't find it. So sorry if this is a repeat.

I have just bought a eTREX Legend C and was wondering if you can attach it to a PDA.

I know its USB only, but can you get a USB bridge or something like that to attach it to USB PDA??

It would handy for long trips, the PDA can stored more Waypoints than the GPS (500 only)

Anyone had any luck joining these two beast together?

By the way the PDA is a Palm M500 series (M515), but I guess this applies to any USB PDA.

Thanks in advance

KiwiGary

Yes, there are programs that should get the PDA and GPSr to talk to each other:

Check out CacheMate and CacheNav here.

Also, I was using a very cool mapping program with GPSr specifically made for my PDA. Check out Mapopolis here I was very happily using this hardware/software combo until, sigh, the GPSr for my PDA was stolen out of my trunk. That's why I'm attempting the PDA to eTrex Vista link - I loved having my PDA talk to a GPSr but I'm not sure I want to replace the $$$$ GPSr if I can get my eTrex to talk to my PDA. If it works, it will be a $30 solution.

My PDA to eTrex comunication problem might be due to something I haven't tweaked correctly. I did read something that suggested deleting "AvantGo." I just haven't decided if I want to go there or not.....

Good luck!

I agree you need to get a device to act as a USB host, so you can plug in the PDA and GPS.

Now I don't know if such a device exists and if so, would it work for this setup??

You could carry a laptop around with you, but then why bother having a PDA??? :laughing:

Gary

So if my eTrex Vista is a "slave" it won't talk with my Tungsten C PDA? (My PDA worked with a GPSr specifically designed for the Tugnsen C.) And how do I find out if my eTrex Vista is a slave? Is there a technical term I should look for in the eTrex Vista manual that will indicate whether its a slave or emancipated? :laughing:

So if my eTrex Vista is a "slave" it won't talk with my Tungsten C PDA? (My PDA worked with a GPSr specifically designed for the Tugnsen C.) And how do I find out if my eTrex Vista is a slave? Is there a technical term I should look for in the eTrex Vista manual that will indicate whether its a slave or emancipated? :)

The Useless Serial Bus (USB) is a star architecture with exactly one host, 1-n hub(s) and 0-n functions (or nodes). Both, your PDA and your GPSr are nodes. Neither of them can act as a USB host. So they will not connect in that way.

USB was not designed as a general replacement for RS232. It was designed as a cheap PC expansion solution. It works well (enough) for what it was supposed, but thats it.

Jan