Upgrading From My Basic Gecko 101...

So about 8 months ago I really wanted to get into Geocaching so I bought a very inexpensive Gecko 101 and got started. While I haven't found many I still have a binder full of caches I want to hunt (will be going paperless). I even sold my very loved 99 Honda and built a very capable Jeep to help explore the caches more off road.

Well, I have had trouble with my Gecko in the past in tree cover trying to find a couple different caches. Tonight was no different, headed up the mountain and up a less traveled road just to get within atleast 50 feet of the cache and have the GPS give up cause of tree cover.

So I'm looking at a slight upgrade on a super tight budget. I have no problem going used and have been looking in the "garage sale" section here some. I'm personally a fan of Garmin as some things about others scare me away a bit. So far with my research it seems the best bet is to find a used Etrex Legend. Two of the most important features I want in an upgrade is improved reception and the ability to upload waypoints via data cable. I've seen a few units that allow the upload of maps and while thats a feature that would be nice, and I would play with, I think I can live without it.

So what is everyone's opinion? Is there a better option? I'm trying to stay around $100 as I can't really spend more at this time and I've seen some legends for around that price range.

I also started out with a Geko 101. When it came time for me to upgrade, I had learned some things I wanted:

1) a rocker pad for inputing data

2) connectivity for loading waypoints

3) buttons below the screen instead of above them

4) mapping capabilities

I ended up getting a Garmin GSMap 60 ($230) because I wasn't concerned about color. I know that it is more than you want to pay right now, but honestly, I would wait until I could get something on the 60 line.

If you don't really care about mapping, I would buy a Garmin GPS 60. You can find it on-line for about $149. It has all the power of the 60 series.

Go to Garmin and compare the features of all of them at:

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp

For $100.00 you are not going to have much of a choice, You can get the Garmin basic e-trex yellow but is not much of a jump from the Geko. You would be adding a data interface, but you would still have to buy the cable as it is not included. By the time you buy a yellow e-trex and a cable for it you could buy the Garmin E-trex legend that will include the data cable for a few dollars more.

AS far as tree cover, this is going to be a problem with just about any GPS you buy.

For $100, check out either the iFinder Go or Go2.

iFinder Go

Go2

Both have WAAS, a basemap of the entire US, are waterproof and have some of the best antennas on the market for satellite reception. $68 for the GO, $90 for the Go2.

For just $20 more, you could get the regular ifinder which has a basemap of the entire world, detailed mapping, and computer connection.

Ok look, no disrespect to Garmin (really!), but if one of the reasons you're looking to upgrade your GPSr equipment is for improved performance under tree cover, do not, I repeat, do not! get one of the black&white screen etrexes (yellow, legend, vista, etc) ,., they have by far the worst track record for signal performance especially under heavy tree cover. If you're very lucky you might get a unit that behaves itself in those conditions, but ONLY if you hold it absolutely level the entire time you're cache seeking ..

Do a search of this forum and you'll see what I mean. Again. no disrespect towards Garmin, but facts are facts.

Ok look, no disrespect to Garmin (really!), but if one of the reasons you're looking to upgrade your GPSr equipment is for improved performance under tree cover, do not, I repeat, do not! get one of the black&white screen etrexes (yellow, legend, vista, etc) ,., they have by far the worst track record for signal performance especially under heavy tree cover. If you're very lucky you might get a unit that behaves itself in those conditions, but ONLY if you hold it absolutely level the entire time you're cache seeking ..

Do a search of this forum and you'll see what I mean. Again. no disrespect towards Garmin, but facts are facts.

Sad, but true.

For an unbiased opinion about which unit has the best reception, review this post...Best reception is...

Sad, but true.

For an unbiased opinion about which unit has the best reception, review this post...Best reception is...

You might want to redo that link.

All eTrex units work just fine under trees. I've owned several and I have no problems with them even under the heaviest tree cover. The negative comments stem from people who don't use them properly. I was one and was ready to throw the unit off a cliff until I learned to ALWAYS hold it flat, face up to the sky (and no it doesn't have to be "absolutely level"). That being said, to upgrade from a Geko to an eTrex (B/w) for improved reception isn't advisable as they perform similarly.

Perhaps one one of the 60 series might be in your price range if you can find one used. The Garmin Map60 and GPS 60 both have pretty solid reception and aren't going to cost a bundle. Also, if you are looking for bang for the buck the Garmin GPS V is a good choice. I've seen them for as low as $150 and they come with the City Select mapping software included in the price. Its $120 extra for most other units. So you're getting a GPS unit and software for a bit more than just the sofware would cost. The GPS V sold for almost $500 not too long ago and until the latest generation of units came along, was pretty much the cream of consumer grade handhelds.

Another option is the Lowrance iFinder H20. It also delivers good bang for the buck and has the best reception of any GPS I've ever used (by far). You can get the Plus package which includes mapping software, card reader and a memory card for under $280. I know its more than you want to pay, but it is a bargain as GPS units go. The unit is a bit more difficult to learn than the Garmin units, but unless you're one of those people who can't even program the clock on their VCR, you should be fine.

The iFinder GOs mentioned earlier might also be an option, but if you're upgrading, you probably should upgrade to a unit that has PC connectivity. They don't.

You can also try to make sure you hold your Geko flat, face up to the sky when under trees. As long as you keep it in that position you should get reception (my wife has one and it works fine under trees). If you put it in your pocket, clip it to your belt or hold it in your hand dangling at your side, you will lose reception under trees. Hold it like a waiter carrying a tray of beer. Also, make sure its turned on well before entering the woods. It might be that you don't need a new GPS if you do this.

Edited by briansnat