Deleting Logs On Virtual Caches

I think not only did you have the right to delete the log, you had to delete it.

That said, it seems (to me) that all you were seeking here in posting was confirmation from others that it was right to do. Well, surprise, different people have different opinions. Some people have opinions you might not like. If you don't want to hear them, don't ask for them. And if you ask for opinions, expect some of them to be not as well worded and polished as you would like them to be. In other words, grow thicker skin. :(

Jan

There has to be some way to get this topic locked, no?

Jan

JanniCash:

Thank you for your honest opinion and your support of my action to delete the log in question.

I took your advice and now am rather enjoying everyone's comments. I'll let the moderators close the thread if they think it's getting too bad. Or if my skin starts getting rubbed a little too raw, maybe I'll do it myself. . . :(

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

Edited by Daphne of Mysteries Inc.

I took your advice and now am rather enjoying everyone's comments. I'll let the moderators close the thread if they think it's getting too bad. Or if my skin starts getting rubbed a little too raw, maybe I'll do it myself. . . :(

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

:( Go Girl :(

( no sexism intended )

Thats a nice waterfall, it reminds me of one in WesternNC called Dry falls that you could walk behind. If that person said that the cache wasnt that interesting, that would be a signal to me that they werent there, or were trying to log it based on a visit some time ago. Also, using an old postcard image also makes the page a little more interesting - anyone can upload their own photo, but using a old postcard image makes you see it as it was presented long ago.

Thats a nice waterfall, it reminds me of one in WesternNC called Dry falls that you could walk behind.

Thanks!

Dry Falls is a really neat place. I've been there twice. There are several nice waterfalls in western North Carolina.

Right down the road from Dry Falls is Bridal Veil Falls, which is a lot like Hanging Rock. Both are right besides the highway, and you can drive behind both of them.

17fb8338-0033-4290-a76e-e6308aa2f40d.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls

Alright - let's heat up the thread a little bit:

The former owner of this cache and I did delete during the last 5 month about 200 logs

Mailboxes (1 of a kind)

Any comments?

sig_popcorn.gif

My log wasn't deleted, but I nearly did post one before reading the rules. On our way back from another cache we spotted a cool mailbox and I remembered there was a locationless for unique mailboxes. So we pulled over, marked the waypoint, and took a few pictures of the box alone and with my GPS (and arm). However, I did not get one with my face. I pulled up the cache listing to log it and saw that. So a week or so later we made the trip again, just to get a picture with a person in it, too.

The ripping you're probably expecting to get is about the face requirement. I almost didn't do this because of that. Personally I wouldn't require a face shot. Some people are very uncomfortable about posting their picture on the web. But it's your rules, so we did it. Ours was only about 15 miles away, but I can imagine that some people who are farther away from home when they find one and snap a picture of it, not realizing the face rule, could get pretty bent out of shape if their log is deleted.

I was tempted to put a blackbox over the faces of the kids just to see what would happen, but I didn't.

Well in my case (and I'm sure many others) I didn't have art supplies in the car. The location we found was 15 miles from our home and almost as many to the nearest store. I do applaud that logger for their creativity and getting around your rules. Maybe I should edit the photos on my log and cover the faces.

I don't care one way or the other about having my face in the picture, but if I happen to be caching alone it is a real pain to try to do the stretched out arm shot and get a good shot.

With the digital camera, I can keep taking pictures until I get a good one (or get tired of trying and give up!)--but what about the folks that use a regular camera and get the film developed to find out that they have one good shot of their forehead with a blurry thing behind it, and a second shot that has the mailbox halfway in view and focus and a great shot of their left shoulder?

It is possible to take a great shot of my hand holding the GPS with a lovely view in the background however. That also appeases the folks that don't want their face in the shot, and proves that it wasn't a vacation shot as well.

My reaction would be, "hmm kayy"

And I'd get a beer from the fridge.

The sage has spoken.

I don't know about "sage," but I'd do the same thing.

...on either side of the issue.

I'm not a fan of additional logging requirements and this doesn't seem to fit that. I am a fan of verifying visits. Not everyone has a digital camera, nor do they want to go through the hassle of developing a disposable. The problem is until there is another "difficult to spoof" method a photo will have to do and if it's not posted, then the log is deleted.

On the other side of the fence, I will post a log even without the requirements. I know we were there, I log it. If the owner has a problem with that, then he can delete it. I don't care. I'll just put it on my ignore list and move on.

There are much more important things to worry about than fussing over a find.

Thats a nice waterfall, it reminds me of one in WesternNC called Dry falls that you could walk behind.

Thanks!

Dry Falls is a really neat place. I've been there twice. There are several nice waterfalls in western North Carolina.

Right down the road from Dry Falls is Bridal Veil Falls, which is a lot like Hanging Rock. Both are right besides the highway, and you can drive behind both of them.

17fb8338-0033-4290-a76e-e6308aa2f40d.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls

YES ! That area is awesome. Down the street from both those falls is cullasaja falls(mispelled) which is HUGE. There are literally hundereds of waterfalls around that area. I have seen people rappel down the middle of Glen falls, which is nearby. My first find was at a cache called Devils Courthouse which is close by and is breathtaking. I noticed that someone placed a cache on the trail to that by a tiny waterfall now.

DANG ! WHY am I in New Jersey now?

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I own two earthcaches and Im pretty strict about people logging them. I made it easy for people who dont have a camera they can simply email me the answer to a question on the cache page, "the answer can be found at the cache site" so far I think 1 or two people havent posted a photo. They just email the answers. I know that they were there because I ran into them at an Event and they were agervating me about the long hike to one of them. I say suit yourself, I've only deleted 1 log and that was because the finder had an attitude in one of his logs, I told him to re log.