Automatic Archive Of Events

ODragon

How about something that will automatically archive events after a certain period after the event date?

I have a pq that gives me CITOs and Events and I noticed that a lot of them have been over for months with no activity but no one archives them. There are many that are months old (march/april) but at least one that is from 2004. Some of them don't appear to be reoccurring events but if they were, I could see changing the date would keep them from being archived...

I've got to agree with you here, the UK has a few events that are still listed, this can be annoying for people who didn't attend and have it as their closest unfound.

How about 1 month after the event it automatically gets archived, that is surely enough time for people to log their attendance, even if it wasn't they can still log after it is archived, by going through the owners profile to find it.

It seems like the New England cachers wait until the last travel bug has been retrieved from the event cache before they archive the listing.

Unfortunately, the event caches around here also seem like travel bug black holes, so two years after some of the events, there are STILL travel bugs logged into the event caches.

The one month automatic archival suggestion sounds like a good idea.

Why not just start posting some Needs Archived logs?

You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police, posting needs archiving logs may start to upset people. If we have something that is mandatory and happens automatically people will accept that is how it happens.

This has happened to a cache in our area (it doesn't have to be an event). I start with a friendly email to the cache owner. If I see no response, I enter an SBA. The approver will generally then also send a friendly email to the owner, and archive it in a few weeks (giving them time to respond) if they don't respond. If the approver doesn't handle it themselves (rare), then I follow up to the approver.

But I only do this on caches in my own 25mi area so that our area remains attractive to visiting cachers. I don't go policing other areas - they have their own local cachers who should do the same. The problem is just people who lose interest in the game/sport/hobby/activity - it's pretty obvious when they don't sign on to the site and don't reply to repeated emails - we just have to clean up a little after them to keep the neighborhood nice.

I agree that auto-archiving events after a month is a good feature, but IMHO development time doesn't need to be prioritized on this while tons more people are still waiting for the new locationless game.

Why not just start posting some Needs Archived logs?

You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police, posting needs archiving logs may start to upset people. If we have something that is mandatory and happens automatically people will accept that is how it happens.

I guess it bugs me to see pages of chronically disabled caches and I will go threw and flag them to be checked time to time. If it upsets people to be asked if the cache will be like that for much longer (after months!), or for getting an SBA weeks after that, so be it. (you want me to post these things for you?)

An automatic system is ok, its just I think their will be people who complain that it archived their cache before ______ happened. Personally, I don't run any reoccuring events, or keep past events till every person has log in, or every TB logged out. The couple events i've done I've left it open for 2-3 weeks then archived it, so this won't affect me at all anyway.

People can still log on an expired cache, it just isn't as easy to find. So an organizer archiving the event even a few days after the event has occurred still only incurs a minor inconvenience. I think I archived my event cache about a week afterwards.

You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police, posting needs archiving logs may start to upset people.

Well golly. We don't want to start upsetting people, do we?

By Gosh!! :laughing: I may just keep a copy of your comment Jeremy, so that the next time I am told off for upsetting someone on the forums, I can quote that you think it is alright to do so.

That is what your statement means isn't it, that it is ok to upset someone because you are poking your nose into there business.

Just for the record I have posted Needs Archiving logs on caches, but this is because I have either got other information at hand or like the one I done just a fortnight ago, I was with the land manager and I was asked to do it by him ( who is still very much on side).

So I am not afraid to police if I have to, I just don't think the paying members should have to as a matter of course. Which appears to be what is suggested and approved by yourself Jeremy. :laughing::laughing:

Does any group still recycle the cache pages for an event? I seem to remember once that some group had a recurring event (monthly) and they just used the same cache page over and over and over and over.

Something like this would mandate having to have the page approved each time (which might not be a bad thing).

No vote either way, just comment.

Does any group still recycle the cache pages for an event?  I seem to remember once that some group had a recurring event (monthly) and they just used the same cache page over and over and over and over.

Yes, there are. I've been to one of these events.

Something like this would mandate having to have the page approved each time (which might not be a bad thing).

Well, there are two ways to look at this. If it's an automatic archive after 1 month, I would see that it would be based on date placed (which is when the event is) so if you change that date for whatever the next one is, it would keep it from being deleted. (Sort of like if you changed the placed date, it will show up as new even if it was really placed a long time ago).

As to the other comment, having a monthly gathering approved each time is sort of annoying and time consuming but for those number junkies, it is annoying to go to multiple events and not be able to log them (as that's what the one I've been to said).

That is what your statement means isn't it, that it is ok to upset someone because you are poking your nose into there business.

Yes. It is ok to poke your nose into there (sic) business. If the listing hasn't been archived and it annoys you, there are quick ways of notifying the owner of the listing that they should archive it. There may be legitimate reasons why it is still listed.

By Gosh!! I may just keep a copy of your comment Jeremy, so that the next time I am told off for upsetting someone on the forums, I can quote that you think it is alright to do so.

You should work on your interpretation skills.

By Gosh!! I may just keep a copy of your comment Jeremy, so that the next time I am told off for upsetting someone on the forums, I can quote that you think it is alright to do so.

You should work on your interpretation skills.

You should work on your CUSTOMER* feedback skills. Thankyou for answering my email which I sent you regarding your sarcastic comment. It must have got lost in the post!!

*Yes a customer is what I am, I pay for a service by buying premium membership and supporting the site by buying things such as TB's. So I expect some sort of civility and at least an answer to my complaint.

It says for this forum to make suggestions. Now I know that time and money constraints mean that you just can't give everyone what they want, but you can certainly give a decent answer to the suggestion. Slagging your customers off just isn't good enough.

:(:D:D

Why not use the 'Ignore' feature for those events. Works nicely for me.

I don't believe that basic members have the ignore feature. As we would like to keep them as members and hopefully they will subscribe for pemium membership. Leaving caches live that they simply won't be able to do, may put them off. Remembering that not all members come onto the forums so won't know all the in & outs.

Why not use the 'Ignore' feature for those events. Works nicely for me.

For one if it is reactivated for another event, you wouldn't be notified since it was ignored.

I don't think its a big deal to notify the owner and ask them to archieve it. Iit has just about become electronic geolitter at the point of a month or so after an event. Policing your home area is always a good thing. Maybe we could organize a CITO Event to SBA all these expired events! Of course we would have to find someone who would be willing to archieve the CITO when its done.

It says for this forum to make suggestions. Now I know that time and money constraints mean that you just can't give everyone what they want, but you can certainly give a decent answer to the suggestion. Slagging your customers off just isn't good enough.

Kissing your butt wasn't part of the service contract. I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic. I figured if you could dish it you could take it. Sorry if I was mistaken (and here's a few kissy poos for you then).

This site is built as a community site and as such requires the feedback from the community to a ) sort out whether caches go missing or need work and b ) let cachers know when a listing needs attention.

There's not lot of effort into automating everything but I posit that not everything needs automated. If someone who owns a listing doesn't understand that they need to clicky the archive button after the meeting is long past it only takes a quick email to let them know, or file a SBA and we'll take care of it.

This forum stuff is awfully fun. Don't you think?

Why not use the 'Ignore' feature for those events.  Works nicely for me.

I don't believe that basic members have the ignore feature. color]

My kids' accounts are not Premium, and they have the Ignore feature.

[Edit: sorry about the color=navy stuff, I've never quoted before...]

Edited by salpal

Kissing your butt wasn't part of the service contract. I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic. I figured if you could dish it you could take it. Sorry if I was mistaken (and here's a few kissy poos for you then).

This site is built as a community site and as such requires the feedback from the community to a ) sort out whether caches go missing or need work and b ) let cachers know when a listing needs attention.

There's not lot of effort into automating everything but I posit that not everything needs automated. If someone who owns a listing doesn't understand that they need to clicky the archive button after the meeting is long past it only takes a quick email to let them know, or file a SBA and we'll take care of it.

This forum stuff is awfully fun. Don't you think?

You know Jeremy, I really only have one word to describe what I actually think about you as a person. The only problem is that if I write it on here your autobot system will put asterix's in and spoil the moment.

Deeply dissapointed that the owner of an international revenue seeking company speaks to his customers in such a way. Perhaps you should find out about other peoples cultures, we don't all follow the American way, Ya Know!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think I will now stick with the UK forums, were our moderators know how to speak to you, and correct you politely if you are rude or wrong.

Thank you, it's nice to have an actual answer (vs. a 'I think I should do this'). I will post SBA notes when I see things still active after a long time. If I get grief, I will point to this topic.

I posted a couple yesterday and already got one note: "This cache is being archived, under protest." Its been disabled since the end of Jan.

Edited by odragon