Gpsmap 60 Vs. Etrex Legend C

herbk

I had almost made up my mind to by a gpsmap 60 when I noticed the new etrex legend c. A direct comparison of features shows that in most respects the two units are identical. Here are the major differences: The etrex has color, but has a slightly smaller screen; the gpsmap has gray scale. The gpsmap can be plugged into a car's cigarette lighter socket; the etrex can't, but to compensate, the etrex has a considerably longer battery life. All of these sort of balance in my mind, so the deciding factor should be the antenna efficiency.

I now use a GPS 12, my caching buddy has a GPS V. Time after time, when we get under tree cover, he loses lock and I still have a usable signal. So, if any one has any idea how these units might compare in sensitivity, I'd love to hear from them.

Hello Herb,

I was given a Garming GPSmap60 by my wife and son this past Father's day. I have been very pleased with it. Although it is only "grey scale" I have no complaints. As for sensitivity, I have been using inin my car for the past few weeks while traveling during my vacation. I had it on the seat beside me or straped to my thigh. I had very few instances of signal loss during 700-800 miles of traveling. Most of this through the mountains in north central Pennsylvania. Ii have been using Easy GPS (free edition) to download GC waypoints in to the MAP60. I would highly recommend the GPSMAP60. I will be using it to find my first caches today. I will let you know how it works out under those conditions.

Happy Caching :anibad: Gregg_pa, Linwood, PA

The gpsmap can be plugged into a car's cigarette lighter socket; the etrex can't, ...

I now use a GPS 12, my caching buddy has a GPS V. Time after time, when we get under tree cover, he loses lock and I still have a usable signal. So, if any one has any idea how these units might compare in sensitivity, I'd love to hear from them.

The LegendC can be powered from the USB connection and car cigarette-lighter to USB power adapters are readily available for only a few dollars.

As to the sensitivity, the experience of you and your friend illustrates the problem since I've more frequently heard the opposite experience - i.e. somewhat better performance of the III+/V series compared to the 12. I also have had a 12 and still have a V and in my case the V appears to be slightly more sensitive under marginal conditions but the difference is very small. From what I've observed, sample-to-sample variations in the same model can be just as large (or even larger) than variations between fairly similar models. So a comparison between two pariticular units ends up not meaning very much.

The 60 series does have the plus point that it accepts an external antenna and that can improve reception primarily by letting you always keep the antenna in an optimum location and orientation without needing to worry about how to carry the receiver. Another plus for the 60 models is that they support RS-232 in addition to the USB serial interface. There's still some software that doesn't work properly with USB and the RS-232 interface also allows connection to other NMEA equipment like auto-pilots, radar, chartplotters, EPIRBs, VHF radios, etc. if you ever have a use for that capability.

I'd go with the Legend C because of its compact size. I upgraded from a regular eTrex Vista to a 60CS and I still miss the small size of the eTrex. I would take the eTrex everywhere, even to the mall to mark my car in the lot. It fit in my pocket. The 60 series are great units, but they are quite a bit bigger than the eTrex.

Also, the Legend C seems to have better reception than the 60's. A side by side comparison at an event this weekend showed the Legend C to consistently have more sats and stronger signals.

Thanks to all for your replies. Incidentally, I did discover that the Legend C can be plugged into a car's 12 V supply; Garmin apparently sells a cable that must have a voltage dropping resistor.

I finally decided on the Etrex Legend C. I think the small size, which I originally held against it, was a major factor when I realized that I could put it in a pocket and have it with me at times and places when I wouldn't have a larger unit.

Also, the Legend C seems to have better reception than the 60's. A side by side comparison at an event this weekend showed the Legend C to consistently have more sats and stronger signals.

just becasue it showed higher signal doesn't mean it is better.... a better way to compare would be a closest to pin contest. I say this because having Two meridian golds, one always would show higher signal that the other(by far). yet when caching the one with higher signal would over shoot cache(gotta love the boomerang effect) and the one showing lower signal would walk right to it. also note the one showing lower siganl always shows closer to the waypoint than the other one.

finally decided on the Etrex Legend C. I think the small size, which I originally held against it, was a major factor when I realized that I could put it in a pocket and have it with me at times and places when I wouldn't have a larger unit.

The compact size is nice. You can take the thing pretty much everywhere.

I have had the eTrex (yellow), the Legend, the Legend C and now the Map 60 C. If I could trade the 60 C for the Legend C I would do it in a heart beat. The Map 60 does not hold a signal as well as the Legend C or any of the other Garmins we have had. I know of another cacher that would go back to his previous Garmin to get away from the bad reception in tree cover. Just my 2 cents worth.