1 Week To Choose...60cs Or 76cs

OK….long story short:

I bought an Etrex Vista a little over a month ago. I took it out for the first time with a friend and HATED every second of it. I lost satellites every time I got under the slightest of cover. His Magellan was working fine and my new gps kept failing.

I did some additional research and decide to swap it for the Gamin 60cs (just a small upgrade, I told my wife…). When I got to the store, they gladly took the vista back, but were out of the 60cs’s. Since the electronic compass is very important to me, the gentleman talked me into the 76cs (as opposed to the 60c they had).

Fast forward to today….I have not had a chance to get outside and use my new 76cs yet (sad, I know, but I have been traveling for work). I have read other post debating between the 76 series and the 60 series (size and memory seem to always come up)

My question:

I have about a one week window to take my 76cs back and exchange it for the 60cs that I was originally going to get. The store manager said that since I asked for the 60cs and they were out, he would allow me to do that. “However, I geocache myself, and I love my 76cs. I would never step in the woods with anything else since I upgraded to it.” [words quoted from the store manager]

My biggest concern would be loosing satellites. Everyone says the 76 series was geared toward marine and not so much hiking. Has anyone had any experience between the two and how they compare under tree cover?

Please advise 

First of all, some of the Magellan units will assume you continue moving at the same velocity and direction even if they actually loose reception. This was part of the reason that they have a better reputation for better reception.

Getting back to your question. I have a 60CS and feel that it's a little on the big side, I would feel like a 76CS would be a little too big.

I don't have a problem with the memory in the 60CS but seldom travel more than about 200 miles from my home.

I'm new into GeoCaching and now addicted. I too have been bouncing back and forth over the 60cs and 76cs. I was wondering if the 60cs would have better reception over the 76cs in heavy cover, just due to twhat appears to be an external antenna.

Either way, I will have to make up my mind in the next couple of days. I will continue to read what others on this forum have to say, then make my decision.

Good luck

Edited by 01ramoffroad
I was wondering if the 60cs would have better reception over the 76cs in heavy cover, just due to twhat appears to be an external antenna.

it's the exact same antenna in the 2 units. The 60CS is covered in rubber and the 76CS is covered by the case. No difference I've ever noticed while a bunch of us with both units are together. In fact, if anything, I'd recall a caching partner with a 60CS that would lose reception more then me, but I think that's just where he might of clipped his unit while I hold mine in my hand.

My biggest concern would be loosing satellites. Everyone says the 76 series was geared toward marine and not so much hiking. Has anyone had any experience between the two and how they compare under tree cover?

The differences between the 60CS and 76CS are usually cited as:

76 is bigger

76 floats

76 has more memory (115MB vs. 56MB)

76 has better base map (13MB vs. 8 MB)

76 has buttons placed above the screen

The antennas and reception are identical except the housing aroung it. The larger case covering the antenna just gives the 76CS more boyancy.

Incidentally, if it matters, the 60CS will also float if you use lithium batteries.

First off, the Vista works fine under trees if you use it correctly. It has to be held flat, face up to the sky. If you hold it any other way it will lose reception under difficult conditions. I've used my Vista under heavy tree cover for years without a problem.

Also, Rubberhead is right about the Magellans. They do an averaging thing and will try to figure out your route if it loses a lock. It will assume you are moving in the same direction and speed. In other words it won't tell you right away if it doesn't have sats. The Garmin units just throw up their hands and say "no sats".

If reception is your most important criterion, consider the Legend C or Vista C. Though they are visually similar to the older eTrex units, their reception is vastly better. Even better than the 60x units.

Between the 76CS and 60CS, I chose the 60CS because of its size and feel. I preferred it over the 76CS. If you don't mind the larger size and need the extra memory, the 76CS would be an excellent choice.

As has already been mentioned, the two are identical with respect to firmware, antennas, processors. Just the case and memory is different.

FWIW, this past weekend I had my 76C inside an army ammo pouch that was attached to the strap on my backpack. It was basically in front of my left shoulder with the top of the GPS about level with the top of my shoulder. I also had my 2yr old on my shoulders. We went on many a tree-covered trail (we were exploring a southwestern BC island) and never lost signal.

British Columbia has lots and lots of heavily forested trails and I've never had a problem with my 76C. There have been one or two areas where signal lock was impossible but those are very rare and have never impeded my 'caching.

GeoBC

i HAVE HAD MY 60CS FOR A WEEK AND LOGGED THREE CACHES. TWO OF MY CACHES HAVE BEEN OVER TREE COVER AND I HAD ACCURATE RATE OF 25 FEET. BEFORE I HAD THE GARMIN LEGAND AND I HAD TROUBLE WITH LOSING RECEPTION, ESPECIALLY UNDER TREE COVER. sO FAR I MUST SAY AM PLEASED WITH THE RECEPTION. THE ONE I HAVE NOTICED WITH MY 60CS IS THAT THE RECEPTION SEEMS TO BE A LOT MORE SENSITIVE THEN MY LEGAND, THAT IS THE ACCCURATCY RATE SEEMS TO CHANCE A LOT MORE. jUST MY 2 CENTS

GREG

Wow, I did not expect this many responses to my questions. Thank you very much!

I have had several people say the same thing to me about my Vista “If you use it correctly you will never loose reception. You must have it level (face up).”….I guess the problem I have with that would be the type of Geocaching I love to do. I love hard terrain. The day I took my Vista out with my friend who had the Magellan, we were crossing rivers on logs, ducking through thickets and climbing some fairly steep river beds. It’s hard to keep your GPS perfectly horizontal all the time. (Just my opinion).

I can’t believe the Magellan looses satellite reception and still calculates. I guess that would be why my friend always passes by an area and has to walk back….

And the verdict is…..I will stick with my 76cs. It sounds like a solid upgrade from the 60cs except for the size. I know it is bulky, but I think I can live with that. I imagine that someday (in the very near future) they will have GPSs so small that I will want to upgrade anyway. I’m certain they are working on powerful units that will make the 60 series look like a “brick”. Besides….now I can talk my wife into a boat!

Thanks for all the responses. I will let everyone one know how it goes when I take it out!!

Edited by Lost In Michigan