Mapsource Auto-routing On Pc

Mapsource w/Canada Topo, on my PC. Options are set to Auto-Route by car.

Trying to do a Route from Calgary to Toronto,

Using Route Tool, clicking on cities along the #1 (TransCanada Hwy). Calgary> Regina > Brandon > Winnipeg all OK. Click the city, the Route follows the hwy. :(

Then Winnipeg > Kenora > Dryden, the Route goes Direct (as crow flies, NOT via the hwy). :anibad: Then, Dryden to Thunder Bay, it is OK again, then TB to SS Marie goes back to Direct. :anibad:

Why? Why does Mapsource not follow the highways (as desired)?

Next question: Caching across the Country - What is the best way to load up geocaches say within 20miles of the highway / route. PQ's? Searches? GSAK? Procedures?

Caching cross country.

Try GSAK and Mapsourse.

Create your route in Mapsourse and then save it as the old MPS format. Then in GSAK and load your GPX files from your PQs and then go to GSAK filter tab and then the Arc box. Load your Mapsource MPS file and then say how far from the highway and go from there.

Should give you what you want. I have tried it a couple times now and it works great.

I just need to buy a license for GSAK still :anibad::anibad:

Mapsource w/Canada Topo, on my PC. Options are set to Auto-Route by car.

Trying to do a Route from Calgary to Toronto,

Using Route Tool, clicking on cities along the #1 (TransCanada Hwy). Calgary> Regina > Brandon > Winnipeg all OK. Click the city, the Route follows the hwy. :D

Then Winnipeg > Kenora > Dryden, the Route goes Direct (as crow flies, NOT via the hwy). :) Then, Dryden to Thunder Bay, it is OK again, then TB to SS Marie goes back to Direct. ;)

Why? Why does Mapsource not follow the highways (as desired)?

Because you are using Topo Canada. In order to get routing, you need a routable software. Metroguide will give routing on the PC but not on the GPS (except for V4), City Select will give routing on the PC and on the GPS.

Because you are using Topo Canada. In order to get routing, you need a routable software. Metroguide will give routing on the PC but not on the GPS (except for V4), City Select will give routing on the PC and on the GPS.

Topo Canada DOES do routing on both the GPS and PC. You just can't put in an address and find it. No problem waypoint to waypoint.

I am REALLY stumped as to why the routing preference (auto-routing / direct) would switch in the middle of creating a single route. ;)

I have closed Mapsource, rebooted, started a new Mapsource file, poked, prodded, still no success.

Topo Canada DOES do routing on both the GPS and PC. You just can't put in an address and find it. No problem waypoint to waypoint.

I am REALLY stumped as to why the routing preference (auto-routing / direct) would switch in the middle of creating a single route. ;)

I have closed Mapsource, rebooted, started a new Mapsource file, poked, prodded, still no success.

Sorry, I stand corrected :)

I looked on Garmin's Website, and they said many routable roads and trails. The only thing I can think is that the section that it draws a straight line is not routable,and the other sections are?

To Clarify .... Are you using MapSource 6.5 which is the latest free download release or the 6.6.2 Beta version?  ImpalaBob

6.5, not the beta. (Beta's scare me. I perfer letting someone else work the bugs out, rather than inflicting them on my system.)

I looked on Garmin's Website, and they said many routable roads and trails. The only thing I can think is that the section that it draws a straight line is not routable,and the other sections are?

I don't think so. We're talking the TransCanada Highway here. See screenshot. Brandon > Winnipeg OK. Winnipeg> Drydon-goes direct, and then Drydon > Thunder Bay OK, Thunder Bay to SS Marie- direct again.

Mapsource_Screenshot.jpg

This type of Routing uses the FOLLOW ROADS between 2 points, and is not full Autorouting. The GPS will draw a route line using FOLLOW ROADS, but you have to watch the road signs so as to know what ramps to take. Full Autorouting, like in City Select will help you better if you get off track, and also helps you know which ramps to take. This is also the problem with Metro Guide Vers. 5 and up. It can only do FOLLOW ROADS, and not true autorouting. When you are missing true Autorouting, you need to have paper maps in the car.

In your case, I believe there are some broken connections in the network of roads, that you can't see on the screen, but these broken connections are there.

In my City Select, there are some invisible broken connections on some of the roads, causing me to wonder why it's trying to route around a perfectly good road.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Next time when you try this Routing on TOPO Canada on the GPS/Laptop, try having several waypoints along the route. A Route is usually made up with alot of waypoints, instead of the 2 waypoints on a shorter trip. Try using several Route waypoints along your proposed trips, but of course leave FOLLOW Roads turned ON.

A route on the GPS can contain up to 50 routing waypoints in it, to help keep you from wanting to drive that straight line aross Lake superior with your car, unless you have a car that floats??

Edited by GOT GPS?