Caches On Mt. Marcy

Czarniecki314

Heading to Lake Placid to do Mt. Marcy. Are there any caches in that area? We don't want to stray to far from the course as we're not camping overnight but instead doing the round trip, so they'd need to be somewhere along the Van H. trail. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I think the closest one would be at the top of Mt. Jo. But of course this cache, GCGNBV, appears to be missing. It would be a good reference point for searching for "nearby caches" though Heart of Joe. That other thread was very interesting. I'd like to offer some suggestions what the hiker found before they started geocaching.com at the top of Mt. Marcy could have been a Navicache only hide or a letterbox (although I can find no evidence of either).

I just went through a whole thread about this. I had gone to the top of Marcy and could have sworn I found a micro cache at the peak(It was before I officially cached). After chatting with other cachers, there was never officially a cache placed there, nor is there expected one to be approved there because of the delicate nature of the vegetation at the top. The best we came up with was that if any were placed, they would have and won't get approval and what I had thought I came across was an unapproved cache. I think I took the same way you are, don't remember, but we left the Loj, went past Marcy Dam and up to the top. I don't recall seeing any official caches posted for that trail. There are a few in the Placid region. As mentioned Heart of Jo, Placid Waters, Sara-Placid-drive-in and away from the crowd. Good Luck and enjoy the hikes.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look at some of the area caches suggested. I haven't taken my boyfriend caching yet... so depending on how much he likes it we may extend our weekend in Placid. We're supposed to drive up on a Friday in Sept. after work and hike Marcy on the Saturday before returning Sunday. If he gets into caching I'd like to stay Sunday to do some caches in the area, as well... of course we may be too tired!

I just went through a whole thread about this. I had gone to the top of Marcy and could have sworn I found a micro cache at the peak(It was before I officially cached). After chatting with other cachers, there was never officially a cache placed there, nor is there expected one to be approved there because of the delicate nature of the vegetation at the top. The best we came up with was that if any were placed, they would have and won't get approval and what I had thought I came across was an unapproved cache.

Oh I see you're the one who started the original thread. Yes, I'd have to go with the unapproved cache theory, especially if it was a nicro, too small to be a letterbox. I believe you said that was a couple of years ago, the current approver, who wasn't around then would never approve a cache on Marcy. This geotrash should have been removed ater rejection :(

As far as the originator of this thread, The Cascade Lakes cache sounds almost like a cache and dash. And climbing Cascade Mountain, if I remember correctly, only takes an hour (each way), and it is a 4,000 footer (just barely). Nice bald peak with a good view. Also Indian Pass lean-too is a 2.5 mile hike (one-way) from the Adirondack Loj (where I have to assume you're attempting Marcy from) on an easy flat trail; cache sounds like an easy find.

Never actually been to the high peaks region since I started caching 2 years ago, just using previously gained knowledge :D

I was in Lake Placid in February and was surprised that there weren't really many caches in the high peaks region. I did a few in town, but didn't really bother with the few others nearby, including Mt. Jo, since I figured the deep snow would be a hinderance. There is one on the road in to Adirondack Loj ("anti-malaria sign")which we also skipped due to the snowy road - if we stopped I'm not sure we would have made it up the hill :blink: I think there may be more caches near Saranac Lake.

I think there may be more caches near Saranac Lake.

There are... :blink:

Also...as has been pointed out, there is no cache on top of Marcy, which is a good thing in my opinion...there's plenty of space in the adks that isn't composed of incredibly fragile and unique ecosystems.

Edited by NFA
I think there may be more caches near Saranac Lake.

There are... :blink:

Also...as has been pointed out, there is no cache on top of Marcy, which is a good thing in my opinion...there's plenty of space in the adks that isn't composed of incredibly fragile and unique ecosystems.

Realistically, with thousands of visitors every year how much of the fragile ecosystem is left on Marcy?

There is a lot of alpine vegetation and it is growing. The primary peaks holding it are Marcy, Algonquin, Dix, Colden, Skylight, and Haystack. The state and Adirondack Mountain Club cooperate in providing a mountain steward on several of the more visited of the fragile mountaintops in the summer months to help teach and enforce good environmental practice. My son was a steward out of Adirondack Loj for a couple years and has gone on to study alpine environments all over the world.

As far as caches in general in the Adirondack Park.. they would be universally banned under state laws which among other things prohibit many man made objects within the boundaries of the park. The 46ers used to have log books in metal canisters on each of the trailless summits and we were forced to remove them a few years ago. Some dams and leantos have been removed under this policy. There is a huge amount of red tape involved in enjoying the park. Mt Jo which is mentioned above is not part of the state land holdings, but is owned by the AMC, so it could have a cache with their permission. There are many other private landholdings within the blue line that could have caches, but I imagine the approver for the Adirondacks would be careful to keep official caches out of the park itself.

As far as caches in general in the Adirondack Park.. they would be universally banned under state laws which among other things prohibit many man made objects within the boundaries of the park.

Actually, the DEC has removed restrictions on geocaching on their lands and I believe that includes the the forest preserves (Adirondack and Catskills).

Edited by briansnat
As far as caches in general in the Adirondack Park.. they would be universally banned under state laws which among other things prohibit many man made objects within the boundaries of the park.

Actually, the DEC has removed restrictions on geocaching on their lands and I believe that includes the the forest preserves (Adirondack and Catskills).

Brian ,

Perhaps NFA would have better knowledge of this situation you mentioned.

Since it's his neck of the woods. :blink:

Brian ,

Perhaps NFA would have better knowledge of this situation you mentioned.

Since it's his neck of the woods. :laughing:

Just going by this old thread.