Obligatory “what Gps To Buy Post”

Hi guys & girls,

This is my first post and I basically need some help deciding on GPSr's. I got started using a friends’ GPSMap60 ((or 76) can't remember which), now I'm looking for one of my own. I'll try to post as much information As I can... I will use the GPS mainly for Geocaching, but will use it somewhat for driving (I'm sure I'll need an external Antenna). I don't need an electronic compass, barometer, or altimeter. I would like it to run on AA batteries as opposed to a battery pack, and would like one that takes MMC/SD cards for detailed street, and points of interest. A color screen isn't needed (But would be nice). Auto routing isn't needed, but would be nice again. I would like to spend ~$200, and will buy used if need be. Some of the units I'm looking at are the Legend, GPS V, and the I Finder Series. I'm not thrilled on the side buttons on the Legend, and the "V" looks "bulky/awkward" to carry, so I'm more leaning toward the I finder series.

Can I get some opinions, and pro's & con's on the listed devices. Any help is appreciated, as I know you guys gut these questions every other day.

Thanks in Advance

-Brian

The criteria you specified helps narrow it down. If the expandable memory is important to you (I'm one of those who take that feature as a starting point), then it rules out the Legend and the GPS V. Memory is pretty limited in both of those units, too.

The iFinder may be a good contender, but I'm not familiar enough with it to comment much. The Magellan Meridian Gold sounds like it would fit your specifications, too. Neither are color, but I don't think you'll find color in the price range you're looking at--unless you are able to find something used.

Bear in mind that you'll probably have to spring for some more bucks for the detailed map software.

Edited by embra

I think you will be very happy with either an iFinder Pro (water-resistant) or an iFinder H2O (water-proof) unit. Both have a 16-level grayscale display, with dual processors for fast screen refresh, and excellent satellite reception. Both units are available for less than $200, but it's highly recommended that you purchase the "Plus" package. This includes an excellent topo mapping software, card reader, and memory card. The Pro Plus package is around $250.

There are not a lot of GPS's that fit your description.

For memory if you can get the maps you want in the memory the GPS has it's a non issue to have an SD card. If you have to have an SD card you have ruled out some of the Garmins that fit the bill. The GPS V, the GPS60c anc 60cs and 76c and 76cs (there is a Black and white 76 that holds maps, but I'm not sure it supports an external antanea).

Others have spoken to the Magellans and Lawrence that do the job.

Time to look at them and pick one. Welcome to the addiction.

Of the Garmin units listed by RK, only the Garmin V is in your desired price range. This unit used to be the top of the line, selling for abuot $400. Now you can find it bumdled with City Select maps (which themselves sell for $90 to $100) for about $200. Memory is limited (19MB, I think) but it is a real value.

If you insist on a memory card, the iFinder H20 would be a good choice. Speaking from experience though, I've never encountered the NEED for a memory card. The 56 megs in my 60CS provide more than enough map coverage and if I'm going somewhere that I don't have the maps loaded, it takes 2 minutes to load them.

I've never had the need for an external antenna in nearly 4 years of GPS use. You should get reception in most vehicles (except a handful of models that have a a certain coating on the windshield)

The Magellan Meridan gold uses and SD card for it's memory and also uses AA batteries. It sells new for about $200.00. the Map Send direct route software you can find online for less than $100.00 and the best price on the SD card would be at costco for about $60.00 (I think that is a 512mb card)

(I'm sure I'll need an external Antenna).

No you will not need and external antenna, I have had my Meridan gold on my dash board for about 3 years and I have not needed and external antenna, I have one that was given to me but it lives in the box it came in.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Sorry for not responding sooner, been doing 12's at work...

Thanks for all the input guys, after long talks with the wife, we're going with the Ifinder pro plus, I'll let you know how it turns out. (I talked her up from the simple $68 one, so I think this is all I could push it so far... :blink: )

-Brian

SCBrian,

Great choice!

The best price I've seen online is at PageComputers, $222.

Let us know if you find better.

Now you'll need to also get rechargable batteries and charger, 256Mb (min) SD memory card, RAM dash mount, PDA screen protectors, and a 2Ghz+ PC with 200Gb HD. :blink:

BTW, if it arrives with street maps, instead of topo, don't be alarmed. You received an old-stock unit, but Lowrance will send you the topo promptly at no charge.

Also read all the instructions for MC63 before doing anything with it! Most of all, do NOT plug in the LEI card reader before loading all the software and drivers.

reid.

BTW, if it arrives with street maps, instead of topo, don't be alarmed. You received an old-stock unit, but Lowrance will send you the topo promptly at no charge.

Also read all the instructions for MC63 before doing anything with it! Most of all, do NOT plug in the LEI card reader before loading all the software and drivers.

Now THAT's a helpful post. Way to go Reidster.