How Come The Garmin 76c/cs Is Not That Popular ?

genivx

I think size has something to do with it. The 76 series is quite large. Also marketing. Garmin seems to be marketing the 60 series a lot harder.

Personally, I could have bought either and chose the 60CS because I preferred its size and hand feel over the 76.

BTW, I have large hands and like the buttons below the screen.

I know a few folks here with a 76C(S) unit. I have one and get it for the extra memory. It is normally slightly more then the 60C(S) and if you don't need the added memory, then there's not much of a reason. The other difference is a more detailed basemap, but if you have City Select and can load the detailed segments, that becomes irrelevant.

I have both the 76C and 76S. Since I was use to the 76S and wanted the extra memory it was a natural choice. And for me the fact I can jam either of the two

76 series I have with a non-skid pad in between the dash and windshield of either my Roadtrex or Land Cruiser. I find it helpful to use both at the same time in the vehicle. The 76C routing on the map page and the 76S on the compass page. As I have said before, you can't miss using either the 76C, CS or the 60C CS. Dick, W7Wt

I think a lot of people just bought the color 60 before the color 76 came out!

I for one bought the 60C when it first hit the shelves as, I think, a lot of other people did! Had I known at the time that garmin was going to come out with a unit with 112MB of memory shortly after the 60 came out, I would have waited (very impatiently).

I liked the 76S for it's big screen 180x240 pixels, and I think the 76 series was made large to contain a big LCD Display module, so why Garmin made the color series of the 76(76C/CS), is beyond me, because the color module is a bit smaller than in the 76S. I liked the 76S of mine, and it still is a good Boating/hiking GPS, but I really think the 76C/CS,96C housings are much too big for their small color LCD Display modules. Could very well be that Garmin could not get a manufacturer to make a 180x240 Color module for the newer GPS units.

The Grey scale(B&W) LCD module in the map76/76S is wide enough to almost touch the left and right edges of the GPS housing. This GPS housing that was used for several new color units, should have had a bigger higher resolution screen.

The shoe does not fit this foot to well(76c/cs), it falls off the foot with every step taken forward.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Ok, I'm one of the dissenters....I bought my 76c about a month ago, and am very happy with it in all respects. Fast sat lock, smooth autorouting, doesn't boomerang me nearly as bad as my old Maggie 315, and I LOVE that I have my entire home state of AZ in topo and street maps in the thing, with 50 meg left over.

I researched before buying, and this whole size issue confused me from the start. Mine fits my hand comfortably, but then I wear a mens' large glove. I could see where if you have a "small" or "medium" hand, then MAYBE you might find the 76c awkward, but otherwise, it appears (to me anyway...) that the size thing is purely aesthetics. There is the topic that the screen "appears smaller" because of the larger case, but I was comparing apples (76c) to oranges (old 315), and I really liked the new apples I bought! It's all relative, and for me, the 76c appears to be a great blend of usability for the car, around town, vacation, and geocaching.

It seems the size issue gets a lot of play, but remember, it's not the size, it's how you use it that counts! :)

Well, yesterday I placed an order for a 76c. I am really excited about it. I am upgrading from my original GPSr (base-level magellan sportrak), so this is going to be a huge leap. I was struggling with justifying the cost, wrestling with whether I needed the 76 or could just get by with the 60. Wife finally told me to treat myself to the extras. I decided to go with the c as opposed to the cs because I knew I really didn't need the compass or altimeter. It will be arriving tomorrow and I am jazzed.

Well, yesterday I placed an order for a 76c. I am really excited about it. I am upgrading from my original GPSr (base-level magellan sportrak), so this is going to be a huge leap. I was struggling with justifying the cost, wrestling with whether I needed the 76 or could just get by with the 60. Wife finally told me to treat myself to the extras. I decided to go with the c as opposed to the cs because I knew I really didn't need the compass or altimeter. It will be arriving tomorrow and I am jazzed.

Of course the price you quoted her included City Select, didn't it? ;)

Edited by BlueDeuce

The 76C is, and was originally, designed more for Marine application. It floats, has a marine atlas (?), etc. Oh, yeah, it also has the geocaching functions too.

I considered the 76 for the extra memory - it's only a matter of chip(s), wish Garmin would get on-board with that. I also like the slightly larger screen size on the 76.

What I didn't like was how it fit in my hand and that the buttons were on top, which obscured the display for me when I do functions (big-medium/small large hands, inherited wide fingers) and that the buttons were on top. Plus, you can't belt-clip it and I'm not a wrap-around holster nor a wrist-strap fan.

It really comes down to a matter of preference. I like my 60, AtlantaGal has a 76. She likes hers, I like mine, it's all good.

mrmnjewel: Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Don't forget the pocket compass - I use the heck out of the electronic compass on the 60CS. (AG doesn't even carry one; that duty falls to me. Heh)

I would say its the difference between apples and oranges. Some people prefer apples some people prefer oranges. That is not to say either is bad fruit

I personally like the size of the 60's and prefer the button placement to that of the 76's. You cant go wrong with either though as I have heard nothing but good things about both series.

Of course the price you quoted her included City Select, didn't it? :rolleyes:

City Select will be showing up for Christmas (I hope)!

The 76C is, and was originally, designed more for Marine application. It floats, has a marine atlas (?), etc. Oh, yeah, it also has the geocaching functions too.

I considered the 76 for the extra memory - it's only a matter of chip(s), wish Garmin would get on-board with that. I also like the slightly larger screen size on the 76.

What I didn't like was how it fit in my hand and that the buttons were on top, which obscured the display for me when I do functions (big-medium/small large hands, inherited wide fingers) and that the buttons were on top. Plus, you can't belt-clip it and I'm not a wrap-around holster nor a wrist-strap fan.

It really comes down to a matter of preference. I like my 60, AtlantaGal has a 76. She likes hers, I like mine, it's all good.

mrmnjewel: Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Don't forget the pocket compass - I use the heck out of the electronic compass on the 60CS. (AG doesn't even carry one; that duty falls to me. Heh)

Yeah, awhile back when I was researching GPSr's, I posed the question to AG and she raved over her 76. I have a good compass, so I decided to forego the cs. I really wanted the extra memory and such. I am really jazzed about this. Can't wait for it to get here.

The 76 is a bit larger (not so much when you measure it) and it looks a lot larger. Most people decide the 56mb of memory on the 60 is enough.

The 76 has the same size screen as the 60 making the extra size do nothing but make it float better (Lithium batteries in the 60 make it float well enough) than the 60. They should of made the 76 screen larger to match the GPS.

For my purposes the 76 memory and 60 size would be ideal. But that GPS doesn't exist so I keep waiting for the GPS VI.

The 76 is a bit larger (not so much when you measure it) and it looks a lot larger.  Most people decide the 56mb of memory on the 60 is enough.

The 76 has the same size screen as the 60 making the extra size do nothing but make it float better (Lithium batteries in the 60 make it float well enough) than the 60.  They should of made the 76 screen larger to match the GPS.

For my purposes the 76 memory and 60 size would be ideal. But that GPS doesn't exist so I keep waiting for the GPS VI.

Here is the dream GPS:

GarminGPSVIColorwithpreloadedmemory.jpg

Would be cool if Garmin could make this thing with a built in 30 hour Lithium batter plus 2 AA batteries, to give you a total of 60 hours of use, and if this GPS VI could have a full preloaded map memory of USA and Canada.

As far as this thread is concerned, I do have both a map76S and map60C GPS, and find them both good.

Edited by GOT GPS?
My next GPSr will be the 76c. I don't like the 60 because the buttons are below the screen. Not everyone has small hands :rolleyes:

The location of the numbers is why we like the 60C over the 76. When entering while walking it just seems to be easy and you fingers don't cover the screen. Just my opinion.

My next GPSr will be the 76c. I don't like the 60 because the buttons are below the screen. Not everyone has small hands :rolleyes:

The location of the numbers is why we like the 60C over the 76. When entering while walking it just seems to be easy and you fingers don't cover the screen. Just my opinion.

Oddy enough that's exactly why I like the Buttons over the top of the screen like on the 76 and GPS V.

Nice Job on the GPS VI, GOT GPS? It just needs bluetooth and it's a winner.

I think hand size has less to do with the choice than how you hold it (ie, palm or fingers). I wanted the 76 for the extra memory, but went to the store with my wife, and we both agreed that we liked the feel of the 60 and button placement better. I think I have a tendancy to hold it supported on the fingers rather than the palm (but then, I'm not holding it right now, and since it's such a natural thing to do, I honestly can't remember exactly how I hold it). Both are fine units, but I honestly think people should try to look at them and hold them in person before making up their minds. In general, the 60 has "enough" memory, but I sure wouldn't mind it if it had more. And personally, I don't think I'd like the "VI" described earlier either. I do wish they had a compass that didn't have to be held flat.

(For the record I'd say I have large hands, yet still prefer the 60 format).

I've always believed that the 60cs is more rugged than the 76cs. I have smashed my 60cs many times into rocks both from dropping it and from falls...it remains in very good condition. The 76cs just doesn't look as if would have stood up to the unintentional abuse that I gave mine. BTW my daughter has a 76cs on my recommendation. I knew that she just doesn't get into the situations or go into the terrain that I do.

Ya my 76CS is so big I had to get a special trailer to haul it behind my car. Makes it kind of a hassle to get out of the car and run back to the trailer to see where I am at though. Different strokes for different folks.

My 76CS is just as rugged and has taken as much abuse as any 60CS could handle. And there is no exposed antenna to break off and don't tell me they won't break off as I have seen it happen.

Aside from my previous post LOL I love my 76CS and won't trade it for a 60CS

team sidewinder

Before purchasing my 76C, I compared it to Garmin's other color handheld receivers. While the 60C had a similar feature set, I was attracted to the 76C for a number of reasons.

1 - The 76C had DOUBLE the internal memory of the 60C. This is the main reason that I selected it. I use my receiver for street routing as well as geocaching and general outdoor navigation. Although the 115MB is sufficient for my requirements, more memory would be nice to have.

2 - The slightly larger size and rectangular shape of the 76C felt more secure in-hand than the 60C. The buttons-on-top layout was easier for me to operate. My reciever has never slipped from my grasp even though I routinely operate it with one hand. With the palm and four fingers wrapped around the unit [like a .45 pistol], the thumb is free to negotiate the keypad. Regardless of which hand is used, my thumb never obstructs the display.

4 - The marine-grade build-quality with fully enclosed antenna suggested that the 76-series units were designed for use in adverse conditions. The design also allows for easier packing and insulation from impact when not in use.

After a year of use I feel that the 76C was the best choice for me. To date, there is not a product on the market that I would consider as an upgrade. [sensors? No thanks.]

Edited by MLP-76C