Reradiating Antennas

I was expecting "external antenna" results for my eTrex and was pretty disappointed. It now sits in a basket on my desk and I upgraded to the 60cs instead.

VW

It's my understanding that you have to "connect" the re-radiating loop to the unit making physical contact - like wrap a rubber band around it to hold it in place.

Ayep. I did such. I followed the directions as explicitly as possible.

I rubber banded the loop to the bottom of the eTrex Vista. I got about half a satellite extra on 2-3 satellites at the time. This was no where near enough to break through the heavy foliage I encounter in Japan. Meanwhile, the Gilsson attached to my 60cs perdy much makes pretend like the trees aren't there in most areas. (some areas not so much.. the forest... or jungle... gets pretty thick in these parts).

It might be better in a less dense hardwood forest or something, maybe okay in some of the canyons where a lock is "just off" the reception ability.

VW

I rubber banded the loop to the bottom of the eTrex Vista.

I'm surprised the directions said to put it near the bottom of the unit, given that the antenna is at the top. Have you tried it near the top, or as their web site suggests, experimenting with the best location?

I am using a PC Mobile attached on the top of my truck with velcro and I am looking for some recent feedback on how this is working for other folks.

I have already looked at previous posts so we can put that to rest.

Just curious about why you used Velcro to attach the antenna...doesn't it have a mag mount?

What are you talking about. I have a RERADIATING ANTENNA that I use with my cab over camper. It has an external antenna that I sit on the front fender, it has a very strong magnet. Then I plugin the anntenna into the readiating antenna in the car and this into the cigarette lighter. The reradiator then broadcast a GPS signal in the cab of the truck and it works great. That is what your topic title made referance to but most the other post I don't know.

cheers

I have a PC Mobile reradiating antenna and I attach the sensor to the top of my pickup with velcro tape.

The radiating portion I attach to the upper front region of my Etrex Legend directly over it's sensor.

Per the manufacturers directions.

My question about the magnet is whether it's field interrupts the signal.

Does you GPSr show what the radius of reception is in feet?

If so, I am wondering how it compares to the steady 16 to 20 foot radius I am experiencing.