Wsga Cache Of The Month

WeightMan

Just a note that nominations will close on Thursday.  Voting will start then and will conclude on August 5.

Errr... I know the rules for this fine idea are still a work in progress WM, but...

Why (arbitrarily?) Thursday the 28th for the end of nominations and beginning of voting? And... are you saying that one can start voting on the 28th (say in the morning) and yet - new nominations will still be accepted the night of the 28th?

I suggest we just make it simple. As you've already established a "found by" window (i.e. the 25th - 25th of each consecutive month), then why not...

Nominations will be accepted from midnight PST on the 25th til midnight PST on the 25th of the following month.

Voting will commence at 12:01 am PST on the 26th of each month and close at midnight PST on the 5th of the following month.

Though I know this isn't exactly a vote on U.N. sanctions against Tulavu < :anibad: >, I do think it doesn't hurt to have finite parameters for the rules (especially when there's a bronze AK geocoin at stake!) :anibad:

This is probably best done in the rules thread on the WSGA forum, but Ray and I discussed this last month and since the found by date was the 25th, we thought it best to leave a few days after that to allow people to post their logs and decide on a nomination. The 28th was the date that Ray chose last month and so I continued the precedent. This is subject to change based on discussion.

I might add that I was not involved in the decision as to when to close nominations last month since I wound up with two entries. One as nominator and one as cache owner. Ray and I did discuss the closing of voting. We chose the 5th since that is five days after the start of the month and the 25th is, nominally, the 5th day before the end of the month.

Edit: formatting

Edited by WeightMan
This is probably best done in the rules thread on the WSGA forum,

Indeed WM, I agree. I just thought it best to question the details here 'cuz you posted the notice of the dates here. Makes no difference to me personally, just think when it comes to contests, best to define the details and be consistent at least within each month's contest.

(personally, I'm voting for Tuvalu...) :anibad:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find a link to the WSGA forums from the WSGA site....I looked all over, cos I didn't have the direct link handy and wanted to get into the forums and vote for cache of the month....it would seem logical to link to the club forums from the club site. Or am I the only one confused? If traffic's low to the new forums, the difficulty finding a link to them could be part of the problem.

Edited by hydnsek
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find a link to the WSGA forums from the WSGA site....I looked all over, cos I didn't have the direct link handy and wanted to get into the forums and vote for cache of the month....it would seem logical to link to the club forums from the club site. Or am I the only one confused? If traffic's low to the new forums, the difficulty finding a link to them could be part of the problem.

I noticed the same thing quite a while ago. In fact I have a post about it under (I think) the general area of the forums there. no one could explain to me why a link hadn't been added yet.

Argh! I just tried to log on in order to vote and... The site tells me my username and/or password is wrong. Double-checked each and still no joy. Doesn't seem to be any link to "Forgot Password" (not that it would seem the problem 'cuz my computer "remembers" it), nor even a "contact us" or "help" for such dilemmas. Could someone (RWW?) let me know what I may be doing wrong???

(btw, I agree a forum link on the WSGA site would surely prove handy, and... curiously, that site recognizes my username and password so I'm bewildered why the forums don't likewise like me...)

Argh! I just tried to log on in order to vote and... The site tells me my username and/or password is wrong. Double-checked each and still no joy. Doesn't seem to be any link to "Forgot Password" (not that it would seem the problem 'cuz my computer "remembers" it), nor even a "contact us" or "help" for such dilemmas. Could someone (RWW?) let me know what I may be doing wrong???

(btw, I agree a forum link on the WSGA site would surely prove handy, and... curiously, that site recognizes my username and password so I'm bewildered why the forums don't likewise like me...)

If I remember correctly you have to sign up to use the forums on top of the fact that you signed up on the WSGA page.

Argh!  I just tried to log on in order to vote and... The site tells me my username and/or password is wrong.  Double-checked each and still no joy.  Doesn't seem to be any link to "Forgot Password" (not that it would seem the problem 'cuz my computer "remembers" it), nor even a "contact us" or "help" for such dilemmas.  Could someone (RWW?) let me know what I may be doing wrong???

If I remember correctly you have to sign up to use the forums on top of the fact that you signed up on the WSGA page.

Yes, the forums are on a totally different computer in a different county than the Web Site. We WILL be merging them before year end which should make things a bit easy.

I cannot lookup passwords on the Forum computer, they are stored in an encrypted file similar to windows passwords. Email me and I can reset your password to whatever you want it to be

Yes, the forums are on a totally different computer in a different county than the Web Site. We WILL be merging them before year end which should make things a bit easy.

I cannot lookup passwords on the Forum computer, they are stored in an encrypted file similar to windows passwords. Email me and I can reset your password to whatever you want it to be

Well I was just in the WSGA forums the other day and nominated CENT5's fine "Pocket Park Pool Parlor" cache for COTM so... I presume that means I've registered for the forums too. Indeed, come to think of it - I emailed Sir Wacko to please add my avatar...

O.k. I just tried again and still no dice. So I tried registering anew but am told there's "already a user with that time" so...

o.k. thanks RWW - will shoot you my password privately shortly.

We are fast approaching the dead lines for nomination for the August Cache of the Month. The last day to find a cache to nominate is Aug. 25 and the last day to submit a nomination is Aug. 28. It is time to start deciding which cache you found this month to nominate.

The prize this month is a Santa Cruz Geo Coin.

bc09863e-7663-4a03-ad70-30cd23d2176f.jpg

Because people had a difficult time accessing the WSGA forum server this last weekend, we will be extending the nomination time until Tuesday. Voting will also be allowed for two additional days. The server went down just after RightWingWacko left town for a camping trip on Friday and was not back up again until this afternoon.

Because people had a difficult time accessing the WSGA forum server this last weekend, we will be extending the nomination time until Tuesday.  Voting will also be allowed for two additional days.  The server went down just after RightWingWacko left town for a camping trip on Friday and was not back up again until this afternoon.

site seem to STILL be down... :P

Because people had a difficult time accessing the WSGA forum server this last weekend, we will be extending the nomination time until Tuesday.  Voting will also be allowed for two additional days.  The server went down just after RightWingWacko left town for a camping trip on Friday and was not back up again until this afternoon.

site seem to STILL be down... :P

I just checked and I'm not having any trouble getting in from my office. I'll take a closer look at it in a couple hours when I get home but....

It's time to make your September Entry in the WSGA Cache of the Month Contest.

WSGA Forums

The prize this month that goes to both the Cache Owner and the person that nominates the cache will be a Colorado Geocoin!

BTW: A special thanks to both Square Bear (Ray) and WeightMan for moderating this contest and putting up the monthly prizes.

EDIT: add forums link

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Seems like in order to win the prize, you need to nominate a cache that the majority votes for. There's a cache I'd like to nominate, but so far I am the only finder, therefore it would get no votes (besides mine). Guess that means if I nominate it, no coin for me. Just thinking the process through. :cry:

Edited by The Navigatorz

Just a quick bump. The nominations will close at the end of the day tomorrow. Any caches listed after September 25, 2004 that you have found between September 25, 2005 and October 31, 2004 are eligible. There are nine nominations to this point. Any more out there?

Edit to note that the cache must be located in Washington.

Edited by WeightMan

Just a quick reminder that the December nominations are open. Caches must have been found by the nominator during the month of December. Nominations will close at the end of the day on January 2. Voting will start on the third.

There is a thread on rules here, with an open question as to whether voting should be delayed each month to allow cachers to find the nominees before they vote. If you have an opinion on that matter, be sure to post to that thread.