Burying Caches

Number 1. it was Hidden: 2/24/2001 - 'grandfathered'

Number 2. it is buried in sand. They allow caches to be buried in sand in certain circumstances.

I agree with 2oldfarts. Here is one more example of a grandfathered buried cache as an illustration, and forgive me for not giving the name or waypoint code for the cache that I will mention; it deserves a bit of anonymity after all this time. There is, in my state, in the midsst an extensive large mountainous wilderness area, an old cache dating back to the very beginnings of geocaching, to early 2001. It is located on a forested hilltop (infested with rattlesnakes and black bear, which makes it even more fun!), and it is a large container, a 5 gallon bucket, buried almost fully in soil, with just the top two inches and lid exposed above ground level. The cache listing page fully describes the container and its placement, and all the local cachers consider it a fine and harmless cache. In any case, its placement, its distance from civilization, and the cache listing description preclude the possibility that anyone might end up digging (and therefore damaging the environment) while looking for the cache. In fact, there is no evidence at and near the cache site that anyone has ever dug in the soil looking for it, and thus it remains a harmless and interesting -- and old -- wilderness cache. It will probably remain there for another ten or twenty years, getting a few visitors per year!