How Much Memory?

geckoboy49

I'm new at geocaching and am using an antediluvian Magellan, but have been doing the D&D and plan on buying a more suitable GPSr......Pretty much narrowed it down to either the Garmin 60Cs or the 76CS.......only main diff being the considerably more memory in the latter. Is it worth the $$ to have the 115 Mb of the 76 versus the 56 Mb of the 60 or is this overkill? I wil use the unit primarily for wilderness nav but also some road trip use.

It depends on where you live and how much travelling you're going to do. If you are using City Select on your unit, if you live in a high population area it chews up memory.

I run Topo and City Select on my 60CS and live in northern NJ. I have City Select maps for all of northern NJ, NYC, Long Island, the Albany area and southern Vt and Topo for muchl of NJ, about 1/4 of NY, some of CT, MA and VT.

I like that I'm able to switch between Topo and City Select depending on whether I'm hiking or driving.

Here maps of my coverage with Topo and City Select on my 60CS. Of course if I used only one, or the other, the coverage would be considerably more. I know Topo alone will cover nearly the entire northeast in a 60CS. Also, in less populated areas City Select will provide way more coverage.

A map of my Topo coverage

18889401-bab5-4526-8fec-a4a3379d9be0.jpg

A map of my City Select coverage

eb4cb9eb-6d58-4f19-ac9a-4bb3dd3550e4.jpg

Edited by briansnat
It depends on where you live and how much travelling you're going to do.  If you are using City Select on your unit, if you live in a high population area it chews up memory.

I run Topo and City Select on my 60CS ...

I like that I'm able to switch between Topo and City Select depending on whether I'm hiking or driving.

I'd like to ask a little more about this...(thinking about Christmas presents for the Honey. Shhh, don't let him know)...

If you lived in Louisville, KY and traveled --usually---only as far as Chicago, IL and Cincinatti, OH on a regular basis, would you say that the 60CS was enough---to be able to switch between Topo and City Select when ever

or should I just go ahead and plan on getting him the 76CS?

Edited by Team Neos

Memory usually isn't an issue, you can change maps out and I put on TOPO for 3 states with my Vista C. We have a 60CS and the memory is good enough to put on the City Select maps for a 1,000 mile trip. The 60CS has a whole lot better quad-helix antenna than the 76CS.

Another deterent (Spell Check?) of the 76CS is how BIG it is. I saw one in the store and I felt like I was holding a light saber. Portability should be a factor inthe decision.

Or you could buy a magellan with a 1GB SD card and pack the whole USA on there. <_<

Hey, it's an option

The SD card is why I went with the Magellen, good decision IMHO. The 56mb will be more than enough if you load the map segments that are appropriate for where you plan to go. The disadvantage is that you can't just load everything and forget about it (if you travel far).