Explorist 500 Questions

Is the eXplorist 500 base map burned onto the internal memory? I was looking at the remaining room in the internal memory and it shows only 44 percent. I have no other POIs, caches or logs saved to the internal memory. I have not received my map software as of yet, but all that I will use will be put on a SD card(s). Should the base map always remain in the internal memory? Or could that room be used for POIs, caches or logs.

:rolleyes:

I’m really enjoying my 500. Just a little concern about a 9-day canoe trip a few weeks away. I have purchased that “Boxwave” item that will allow me to recharge the 500s’ battery or power the unit while in use. Using the “Boxwave” as a power source for the 500 is a little cumbersome in a canoe. I’m testing how many charges to the 500 I can get out of the “Boxwave”. I hope to get 2 to 3 out of a set of 4 batteries. I’m thinking this way about the trip, start with a full charge each day then if I’m lucky charge the 500 at night. I’m not sure if the 500 power will last all day though. Does anyone have a fill for this?

If you put the backlight on low and set it on a timer so that it turns off after 30 seconds or a minute, you should get somewhere between 12 and 16 hours on a full charge. If the Li-Ion is close to fully depleted, it may take a good while to charge it up at USB power rates...like all night. So it will be good to do a few dry runs to see what you will need in terms of time and batteries to make it work.

Let us know what your tests and experience turn out to be...I don't think we have much in the way of actual numbers to describe how well (or poorly) this approach works.

Here is where the recharge issue stands as of now. Starting with a full charge. First day the 500 remained on all day (14 +/- hours) with little use, battery charge remaining showed more than a quarter. First night with a fresh set of alkaline batteries the 500 had a full charge by morning.

Second day 500 on all day (14 +/- hours) more use, battery charge remaining showed a little less than quarter. Second night with the first set of alkaline batteries the 500 had a full charge by morning.

Third day 500 on all day (14 +/- hours) much much more use, battery charge remaining showed close to being drained. Third night with the first set of alkaline batteries the 500 had about a third of charge by morning.

This next round I will try to let the 500 remaining charge level fall closer to empty before recharging the 500. I’m confident that I will get 2 full recharges from a fresh set of alkalines. The first set of alkalines still have some power left. They would power a clock for a while or something like that that’s not real power hungry.

Why does everyone always diss the Explorist with its Rechargeable Batteries? You can buy extra rechargeable batteries off Ebay, or off Internet shops. I understand that these may be more expensive initially than AA batters or AAA batteries, but the option of having 2 or 3 rechargeable lithium batteries is very comforting to me. Lithium Batteries normally have a 10 year shelf life (non rechargeable ones), with the rechargeable ones varying by maker. Now I know that I would, on a cost basis, rather have multiple rechargeable batteries, than to keep buying Non Rechargeable batteries every time I drain the unit. I mean is it that hard to plug the batteries in and let them charge once a week?

I might just be missing the issue, but I think its pretty stupid to have the rechargeable issue be a main factor in not picking up this unit.

I drove from WV to KY today, and had no less than 8 satellite acquisition the entire time, with the unit sitting in a cup holder that was not in direct view of the windshield in my car, and was it was able to direct me to within 20 feet of my final destination.

Another nice feature with it is if you would happen to get a very large SD card, you could theoretically transfer files Detailed Auto routable Maps for each state to the Explorist and then switch states as needed. I currently have 6 states (WV, KY, TN, SC,NC, VA) loaded onto my 256mb Card, with room to spare.

Exactly why I would never consider an eXplorist, no matter how good it is otherwise.

Agreed. I was going to get one, but the battery was a deal breaker. The hassle of having to lug around a charger and cable is bad enough, but what if you forget to charge the battery at night?

As far as I'm concerned, any GPSr used for trips away from civilization must use AA batteries. Now, if only Garmin would add SD capability to the Legend C, I'd be one happy camper.

Why does everyone always diss the Explorist with its Rechargeable Batteries?

Did you notice how long the canoe trip was in the launch post? Unless one is prepared to do the charging bit out in the field, a 9-day trip means buying 8 more LiI batteries. That's a bit spendy, wouldn't you say?

an option is to not leave the thing on constantly - do you really need to know where you are every second of the 9 days?

Each day we will be moving around a lot, with some portages. Sometime we leave camp in the morning and not get back until after dark.The back track feature is why the unit will stay on for the time we are out in the canoe. Plus marking position where fishing was good, without waiting to power on the unit.

Now, as for recharging the 500. It looks as if I can get 2 full charges out of 1 set of alkakines. I can accept that. 16 AA batteries for 9 days of use will not add a lot of weight or bulk. Now I need to learn how to save and upload maps to the 500.

Can the cord that came with the 500 be purchased separately yet? A person could modify that a little.

Did a little Goecaching over the weekend. First experience for that really enjoyed it.

Overall, I’m very happy with my 500.

I guess the silver lining is that you're canoeing, which lessons the need for traveling light. I'd have to admit that this is one of those situations where the explorist is not the best solution. Still, even with my Meridian which got about 12 hours on a set of AAs, you would need 16-18 batts to get through this trip. The better solution for someone who ran into this frequently would be something like the Garmin 60cs, which I think is able to operate for a longer time on a set of AAs (though you would still need multiple sets).

As an infrequent need, well, one finds workarounds and puts up with the inconvenience...or spends the bucks for a better alternative if the inconvenience reaches critical mass.

To my knowledge, Magellan has not yet started making cables available. However, PC-Mobile has begun offering several solutions of their own.

Edit: spellig ;)

Edited by embra