Vista Usb Cable

Alan2

I just replaced my computer. No serial jack. Where do I buy a USB cable that connects to the GPS so I can use Mapsourse, National Geographic, GSAK, etc to transfer data? Any "heads up" problems I should be aware of? tks Alan.

If your present cable is for SERIAL RS-232 connection.... Get a USB to SERIAL converter at local computer store....

Usual procedure is to load USB/SERIAL drivers from CD before plugging in converter...

Only problem may be port number assignment for USB/Serial converter may be different than port number used in normal serial communications.

More information in SOFTWARE forum....

Dale

I just replaced my computer.  No serial jack.  Where do I buy a USB cable that connects to the GPS so I can use Mapsourse, National Geographic, GSAK, etc to transfer data?  Any "heads up" problems I should be aware of?  tks  Alan.

If your present cable is for SERIAL RS-232 connection.... Get a USB to SERIAL converter at local computer store....

Usual procedure is to load USB/SERIAL drivers from CD before plugging in converter...

Only problem may be port number assignment for USB/Serial converter may be different than port number used in normal serial communications.

More information in SOFTWARE forum....

Dale

BestBuy carries them, and I'm pretty sure CompUSA does too.

You can also add another I/O card to your computer if you care to take a trip into geek land. I needed more serial ports on my computer and ordered THIS multi I/O card which works flawlessly with everything I have tried. (Sorry, I have never bothered to hook my Legend up to a computer.) It cost $17.25 delivered to my door via Fed-Ex.

I also have THIS USB-to-Serial converter which did not work flawlwssly with everything I tried on it. It cost $21.98 delivered to my door via Fed-Ex. USB-to -Serial converters have a reputation of being more troublesome the I/O cards, and that has been my experience.

You can also add another I/O card to your computer if you care to take a trip into geek land. I needed more serial ports on my computer and ordered THIS multi I/O card which works flawlessly with everything I have tried. (Sorry, I have never bothered to hook my Legend up to a computer.) It cost $17.25 delivered to my door via Fed-Ex.

I also have THIS USB-to-Serial converter which did not work flawlwssly with everything I tried on it. It cost $21.98 delivered to my door via Fed-Ex. USB-to -Serial converters have a reputation of being more troublesome the I/O cards, and that has been my experience.

What??? Add a card for a dying interface.... RS232 is a dying interface that is not even supported on most new computer hardware.... I vove for USB/Serial converter... Ironically the one you link to is the one I have .... It has worked flawlesly with my Meridian and some old serial modems and obsolete devices I have around here that I tested it with...

One mans problems may be another mans successes...

Dale