City Select V7 Available!

I didn't notice the City Select V7 returning to the update page until Friday night. So, I'll have to wait till Monday to call Garmin.

I was just curious if anyone has called Garmin to see if they will give you a free or discounted update if you loaded close to the 6/1 date. I loaded around 5/20, so I'm not guaranteed a free update. But I'm hoping I can get a break. Anyone have any luck with this?

Thanks

I unlocked my City Select v6 in March, so I would have to pay for version 7.

v6 points are out of date by several years on some lodging, shopping centers and restaurants in my area (Southern California). For example, there is an Ikea store that's been around for years that's not on v6. Even the street it is on does not show up on the map. Some hotels in the Disneyland area are shown with wrong names and phone numbers. And so on.

Buying v7 will be worth it to me if its maps and POIs are really up to date.

How can I tell what has been updated in v7 before I shell out $75?

Everything I see there is for an "update" and is either free or $75.00. I don't seem to find a place to purchase v7 as a new product. I'd like to see a page where they are selling version 7 and see what the price is. It might be cheaper for me to get version 6 somewhere else and then get the free upgrade than to purchase version 7 directly from Garmin.

Everything I see there is for an "update" and is either free or $75.00. I don't seem to find a place to purchase v7 as a new product. I'd like to see a page where they are selling version 7 and see what the price is. It might be cheaper for me to get version 6 somewhere else and then get the free upgrade than to purchase version 7 directly from Garmin.

Garmin typically lists City Select for $150. I think you can get V6 from several online retailers for around 100, then, as you say, you would have a free upgrade to V7.

I unlocked my City Select v6 in March, so I would have to pay for version 7.

v6 points are out of date by several years on some lodging, shopping centers and restaurants in my area (Southern California). For example, there is an Ikea store that's been around for years that's not on v6. Even the street it is on does not show up on the map. Some hotels in the Disneyland area are shown with wrong names and phone numbers. And so on.

Buying v7 will be worth it to me if its maps and POIs are really up to date.

How can I tell what has been updated in v7 before I shell out $75?

At some point Garmin will post a map viewer for V7 on its website. Then you can see if it is worth it to you to upgrade. You might also call them, since you only upgraded a few months ago, they may knock some off the price of the upgrade. Last year, I got V5 in April or May, and they gave me the V6 upgrade for half price--37.50.

You are always going to have some of it be out of date. Navteq has to compile the data, and someone (Navteq or Garmin) has to compile the data in a form that you can use. Bear in mind that we are talking about every hotel, motel, quick stop and store in the US and Canada, that is a lot of data. Garmin has a error report form so if you find an error, you can send it in and the will get it fixed on the next upgrade. We, the users, help make the product better.

I didn't notice the City Select V7 returning to the update page until Friday night.  So, I'll have to wait till Monday to call Garmin. 

I was just curious if anyone has called Garmin to see if they will give you a free or discounted update if you loaded close to the 6/1 date.  I loaded around 5/20, so I'm not guaranteed a free update.  But I'm hoping I can get a break.  Anyone have any luck with this?

Thanks

I e-mailed customer service, since I had unlocked mine on May 30- 2 days before the release date. They mailed me back and told me that I would get the upgrade for free.

Edited by Docapi

I contacted Garmin several weeks ago about missing the cutoff for a free upgrade by a few days, and they said I was all set with an override. So I received my DVD today, and went thru the unlock process. And the wizard informed me that I was entitled to an upgrade, for the upgrade price of $75. What happened to my free upgrade?

It's after hours at Garmin, so this will have to wait till tomorrow sometime. Until then, anyone have a similar experience?

I didn't register my v.6 until 8/1; ordered the upgrade DVD which came today and also couldn't find any way through the unlock wizard that would get me there without paying $75. My presumption is that we'll have to talk to someone during business hours on the phone.

My presumption is that we'll have to talk to someone during business hours on the phone.

That was what I was thinking as well. Requires a person to override; still needs those final set of eyes to approve it. Hopefully I get someone who is as "forgiving" as the first person who approved it.

I tried repeatedly to get through on the customer support line but just got busy signals. I have an email as of noon EDT.

Edit: I just tried a couple times again and got through! However, the recorded voice advised that the wait was about 30 minutes. I'll wait and see if the email gets answered before trying again. So far I'm not much more impressed that the Magellan response capability.

BTW, kudos to the program designers that allow one to toggle between my unlocked v.6 and unlocked v.7

Edited by embra
I tried repeatedly to get through on the customer support line but just got busy signals. I have an email as of noon EDT.

Edit: I just tried a couple times again and got through! However, the recorded voice advised that the wait was about 30 minutes. I'll wait and see if the email gets answered before trying again. So far I'm not much more impressed that the Magellan response capability.

BTW, kudos to the program designers that allow one to toggle between my unlocked v.6 and unlocked v.7

Thanks for update.

Toggle sounds neat!

I wish there was a way to delete specific map sets. After I installed 7 I have no need for 6 anymore but there's no way of getting rid of it short of uninstalling everything and then reinstalling.

I remember complaining to the tech person at Garmin about it and he replied that that would indeed be a useful feature, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. Now, still no way to delete specific map sets.

I wish there was a way to delete specific map sets. After I installed 7 I have no need for 6 anymore but there's no way of getting rid of it short of uninstalling everything and then reinstalling.

I remember complaining to the tech person at Garmin about it and he replied that that would indeed be a useful feature, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. Now, still no way to delete specific map sets.

You can delete it... it's just files. Deleting the appropriate Registry settings will remove it from the drop-down list.

If that wasn't possible, I'd have v4, v5 & v6 all installed (with v7 as soon as I get the CD) and that would be nuts.

I contacted Garmin several weeks ago about missing the cutoff for a free upgrade by a few days, and they said I was all set with an override.  So I received my DVD today, and went thru the unlock process.  And the wizard informed me that I was entitled to an upgrade, for the upgrade price of $75.  What happened to my free upgrade?

It's after hours at Garmin, so this will have to wait till tomorrow sometime.  Until then, anyone have a similar experience?

I finally got thru to Garmin, after one unsuccessful 30+ minute hold (had to leave) and then another successful 30 minute hold. The rep gave me the unlock code with no hassle; said that the initial rep should have just generated the code for me back then instead of putting a comment on my record that I was entitled to the upgrade (maybe they did not have unlock codes for Version 7 back then?)

Anyway, no problem with the unlock, other than a long wait time.

Concerning uninstalling version 6, the rep told me that it needed to stay out there for version 7 to work. Sounds like he may have been incorrect based on some prior posts, so I'll be looking at that in the coming days.

Concerning uninstalling version 6, the rep told me that it needed to stay out there for version 7 to work. Sounds like he may have been incorrect based on some prior posts, so I'll be looking at that in the coming days.

Hmmm...they may have been referring to the apparent need for v6 (or older) to be installed to allow the installation of the v.7 upgrade. Ah well, if anyone is brave enough to experiment a little, do share.

You can delete it... it's just files. Deleting the appropriate Registry settings will remove it from the drop-down list.

If that wasn't possible, I'd have v4, v5 & v6 all installed (with v7 as soon as I get the CD) and that would be nuts.

Ok, so are you saying that instead of removing the program via the add/remove programs option in control panel, that you just delete the files under the C:\Program Files\Garmin\CSNA6 folder? And, if you get tired of the dropdown for V6 showing up in Mapsource, that you can just remove the Registry Entries?

Next question - is there any reason to keep the 1.2 GB of version 6 maps? I guess if you have a lot of stuff saved, based on the old maps then it might be worth saving - but if not, why save it?

Thanks

I don't think you should go deleting stuff like that. The upgrade will only work according to the previous post with 6 installed. That seems to make sense because the upgrade is only to upgrade to the next version and not someone who had v4 or v5? They do have to make money from this you know...

Also, anyone could go deleting stuff and messing around the registry but that's not the point. The point is that GARMIN should make it easy for user to do so and not through unofficial means.

Anyone who calls in please ask Garmin to add this into their next Mapsource. It's really annoying. Perhaps with more people requesting it they will finally do it.

I might recommend to those who want to get rid of their old versions, that instead of deleting registry keys or files(which are needed to be able to install newer versions of the software), that you simply modify the installation of the original version. If you attempt a reinstall of the old version with the old discs, one of the options will be modify. You can select to modify by removing some of the regions of the old version, but keeping enough of the files and registry keys to be functional for updates.

Can the update to Ver 7 be used on 2 GPS units (yes, I have Ver6 unlock codes for both units) . . .

I rec'd my disk yesterday, installed it on my PC tonite, and when I tried to get unlock codes it looks like they only will generate an unlock code for 1 of my 2 registered units.

Back in July '05 I bought an iQue3600 (which came w/ CitySelect Ver 6). I bought a GPS60c soon afterward and used the same software on that unit (Garmin lets you unlock 2 units on a single copy of CitySelect)

My assumption was that since I had CitySelect Ver 6 unlock codes for 2 GPS units, that the update Ver 7 could also be unlocked for these same 2 units.

Maybe it is a bug on the Garmin website and in the Wizard. or maybe there are some undisclosed details that restrict unlocking a 2nd unit a second time, or maybe if I call them tomorrow they will just give me unlock codes for the 2 units, or maybe they will charge me half price for half of an update . . ..

Anyone had a similar experience?

d.b

Yep, ran into the same question. I checked the unlock FAQ page:

"Q. What if I have more than two units?

A. We allow you to unlock up to two of your own personal units. Separate unlock codes are required for each unit, so you will need to complete the unlock process twice. We do allow transfer of data when you upgrade your unit. You may unlock up to two units with one coupon code."

Edit: make sure the second unit is plugged into the PC and turned on.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ok, so are you saying that instead of removing the program via the add/remove programs option in control panel, that you just delete the files under the C:\Program Files\Garmin\CSNA6 folder? 

Well. I experimented with deleting the files from the version 6 folder, and so far so good. I haven't tried downloading to the unit and using the V7 maps, but my trial delete (actually just moved the files in the V6 folder to a backup folder) worked OK when I went into Mapsource - I just clicked on the V7 dropdown, and the maps were there. Next I'll just delete the renamed version 6 folder. Worst case is if I have to re-install version 6 and version 7, but well worth it if I can get back 1.2 GB.

Blue Deuce -

I read that on the unlock pFAQ page- which is why I was surprised that I did not have the option to unlock that second unit.

I went ahead and went through the unlock process on the one unit that DID show up, and when I was done, then the other untoi showed up as availabel for unlocking the CitySelect upgrade.

I guess Garmin uses that primary unit (the first one unlocked originally) first, and then once that one is unlocked, they let you unockl the auxiliary/secondary unit.

Seems to be working fine at this point.

Thanks for response.

d.b

Yeah, I had tried to unlock my second just after my first and it told me I had already used the coupon. It seems that you have to close that 'session' and go through it again. (yes like it says) but it just seems silly to me that you can't just unlock both right then and there.

Probably some technical requirement. (Translation: that's how it got built and they aren't going to change it.)

BD said :

Probably some technical requirement. (Translation: that's how it got built and they aren't going to change it.)

db replies:

Or maybe it has to do with the way they protect their assets, i.e make their money. Garmin seems to have quite the business model to keep you interested in the product, while periodically getting you to spend more $$$.

I'm just happy at this point that I was able to unlock both of my units with the updated version of CitySelect.

Being able to use CitySelect on 2 units played no small part in my decision to buy a 2nd Garmin unit.

d.b

Update on my update: They got an email with the unlock code back to me within 24 hours of my sending my request. Satisfactory in my book.