City Select V7 Available!

If you look on the Garmin site you will see that the release date is 6/1/2005. That means if you just bought v6, you should be entitled to a free update.

Aw, man- youve got to be kidding me!

I just checked the properties on my v6:

Created: Monday, May 30, 2005, 9:52:29 PM

26 hours!!! :rolleyes:

If you look on the Garmin site you will see that the release date is 6/1/2005. That means if you just bought v6, you should be entitled to a free update.

Aw, man- youve got to be kidding me!

I just checked the properties on my v6:

Created: Monday, May 30, 2005, 9:52:29 PM

26 hours!!! :rolleyes:

Contact Garmin. You could probably get a free upgrade.

Depends on when you bought/unlocked V6. If it was after the release date, then yes. If it was before the release date then not, but if you unlocked in May you might be able to get it for a reduced rate.

How do can you tell when you unlocked??

Only City Select EUROPE has been upgradeded to 7!!! NOT USA.

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsour...CD=190-10018-08

It's available for ordering/shipping and there's no charge for that. You pay when you unlock it.

The above link to ordering is off the page at http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp and the update is titled City Select North America DVD

Don't know if you can order it as a CD or not.

Only City Select EUROPE has been upgradeded to 7!!! NOT USA.

Garmin City Select *Europe v7* is older product, shipped since 12/31/2004.

The *new product* version is City Select *North America DVD v7*, released 06/01/2005 and shipped 08/15/2005, which the update.jsp link lists.

Depends on when you bought/unlocked V6. If it was after the release date, then yes. If it was before the release date then not, but if you unlocked in May you might be able to get it for a reduced rate.

How do can you tell when you unlocked??

They should have sent you an e-mail with the unlock code. Check the date on the e-mail.

Is it just me, or did they change the name?

It is now called City Navigator, not cityselect. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, you are missing something, and so is the Garmin website :rolleyes: . I just checked and the pulled City Select from the list. Keep checking back, it is probably just a technical glitch on the Garmin site.

City Navigator is the product that is for the Streetpilots. There are some differences between it and city Select.

Edited by CenTexDodger
Is it just me, or did they change the name?

It is now called City Navigator, not cityselect. Or am I missing something?

I think they are different map products targeted for different GPS units. Navigator is (I guess) more detailed, for use with dashboard navigation units (StreetPilots) with more internal memory and/or memory card interface. CitySelect works with e.g. hiking map products.

See the 'Which mapping works with which GPS units?' link in http://www.garmin.com/cartography.

Just talked to my friend at Garmin.

City Navigator doesn't work on my units, Vista and GPSMAP60CS. It only works on Streetpilots.

According to people who got CityNavigator with their Street Pilots it also works fine with other Garmin models such as the eTrex Legend/Vista series and the 60/76c/cs using the free second unlock.

But it's much more expensive and is not much different functionally from CitySelect so it wouldn't be the preferred choice for those buying street maps for those GPS models. Map details and POIs are identical but there are slight differences in the routing and turn directions.

Its a glitch, apparently. Here is my order which does state City Select NA:

Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:42 PM

To: Frank Castro

Subject: GARMIN MapSource Unlock Update CD

Thank you, Frank Castro, for completing GARMIN's MapSource update CD order process!

Your order ID is: ######

Your CD should ship after 8/15/2005 via First Class Mail.

Information about the CD you ordered:

MapSource Product:: City Select North America v7 - Deluxe Unlock

Version #:: 7.00

Release Date:: 6/1/2005

City Navigator doesn't auto-route on the Legend C, but it will on a PC running it in Mapsource.

I've never heard that before but don't have a LegendC to do a test. Are you sure the box to select sending of auto-route information was checked when the maps were loaded to the LegendC?

The difference between City Select and Navigator is pretty small.

Basically Navigator holds a tiny bit more information on each road - things like restricted access times.

For those few additional data fields, Navteq take more royalties for sales of City Navigator.

I'm sure a more detailed answer could be found on garmin.com - but I can't seem to find it right now.

City Navigator doesn't auto-route on the Legend C, but it will on a PC running it in Mapsource.

I've never heard that before but don't have a LegendC to do a test. Are you sure the box to select sending of auto-route information was checked when the maps were loaded to the LegendC?

Oopps my bad, I meant MetroGuide not Navigator. I've never tried City Navigator on the Legend.

Edited by maingray

Has anyone checked to see what changes were made between City Select 6 and 7. I have version 5 and 6, and from I can tell the only difference is that 6 has updated points of interest, and they are not all that new.

It might not be worth the money to upgrade. I was figuring on upgrading every 2nd or 3rd upgrade. :rolleyes:

Has anyone checked to see what changes were made between City Select 6 and 7. I have version 5 and 6, and from I can tell the only difference is that 6 has updated points of interest, and they are not all that new.

It might not be worth the money to upgrade. I was figuring on upgrading every 2nd or 3rd upgrade. :rolleyes:

All it says on the Update page:

Update Details: Now with verifed data for Alaska!

Nearly 6 Million updated Points of Interest!

Full Coverage of the US, Canada and Puerto Rico!

I was recently out doing some forest service roads with a group of cachers. I have version 5 on my unit and the others had version 6. They had good access to forest service roads that I did not have. Their 60's were doing auto routing while mine was way off the roads. That was in the Snoqualmie National Forest for those keeping score.

Perhaps someone could help me clarify my thinking regarding the new City Select V7 software which I would like to purchase for my Garmin 60 CS. I just received my new 60CS and I would like to add City Select software. It appears Amazon has a good price on V6 CD, and I understand from reading the threads that Garmin will send you a free update to V7 CD when it is released on 8-15. Does it make any sense to make that move at this time or should I just wait for release date of the new software? Thanks for your help! ;)

Perhaps someone could help me clarify my thinking regarding the new City Select V7 software which I would like to purchase for my Garmin 60 CS. I just received my new 60CS and I would like to add City Select software. It appears Amazon has a good price on V6 CD, and I understand from reading the threads that Garmin will send you a free update to V7 CD when it is released on 8-15. Does it make any sense to make that move at this time or should I just wait for release date of the new software? Thanks for your help! :)

Well, seeing as Garmin pulled the update from the website nothing is certain, however, generally speaking, if you unlock your current version after the release date of the new version, you will be entitled to an upgrade for free. When City Select V7 was up, it had a release date of 6/15/05. therefore if you bought V6 from Amazon now, you would be entitled to a free upgrade.

Release date is the key, not ship date

If we assume that when they put V7 back up it will still have the 6/15 release date, then you would be fine to go ahead and get v6. ;)

I know that was clear as mud...

Thanks everyone for your help. It appears if I purchased the software now, I would have the benefit of using V6 until the new release of V7. How does the price of $116.00 sound for the software from Amazon. Then with credit card application it will be another $30 off, $86.00!! :laughing:

Sounds good. I was going to tell you to go to gpsdiscount to get it for $105, but it sounds like you found the better deal!