Midwest Geobash Coins

pghlooking

Just looked at that site. That is interesting that they are activated that way.

I am just starting to get into the coins and hope to pick up one of these MidWest Geobash coins at some point.

Currently I only have some 2004 California, Bronze German, and GeoWoodstockIII coins. I have Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio and 2005 California coins on order.

I'm looking forward to starting to collect many of the various coins.

Edited by f0t0m0m
Just looked at that site. That is interesting that they are activated that way.

I am just starting to get into the coins and hope to pick up one of these MidWest Geobash coins at some point.

Currently I only have some 2004 California, Bronze German, and GeoWoodstockIII coins. I have Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio and 2005 California coins on order.

I'm looking forward to starting to collect many of the various coins.

PM sent....

Very weird way of doing it instead of just including the activation number with it.

From what I've seen it's a different way, with pros and cons.

As a state geocoin distributor I really like the idea of an automated system.

Plus how do those little activation stickers get on the geocoins anyway? :ph34r::rolleyes:

Plus how do those little activation stickers get on the geocoins anyway? :ph34r::rolleyes:

I assumed that the coin manufactor did this when they sleeved the coin. I am probably wrong though and based on the rolled eyes, I now assume it is who distributes the coins.

The biggest downside I see is if this coin site goes belly up, then I have no activation code for a coin I paid for. Yea I can get one through GC probably but why should I have to go through that when I already paid for it once. I can't get the codes for all the coins I bought since I plan on trading one away. I prefer to have all the info I pay for upfront and not have to do additional things to gain it. Another downside is you have to give your email address to a site to activate or just get your code. For alot of people this is something they do not wish to do. This isn't GC's site which already has the info. This is, to the best of my knowledge, a for profit company making coins at a higher price on a monthly basis. Personally i don't care about it, but there is a privacy issue there for some. I think the cons outweigh the pros for the consumers, and the pros outwigh the cons for the coin producers. Just like everything, including coins, there are 2 sides.

All in all its no big deal to me, just weird.

Very weird way of doing it instead of just including the activation number with it.

Plus how do those little activation stickers get on the geocoins anyway? :unsure::rolleyes:

It's one thing to put the activation stickers on travellertag coins that are sequentially numbered, my hat is off to anybody that does it for 1500 non-sequential alpha numeric bug numbers that you go blind reading off a 1.5 inch coin. :unsure: It's a whole lot easier and more accurate to just import a file into a database. :lol:

I think he meant on the stats page. I don't care for it not spelled out as some people will have no clue what it means, but I will stick with getting a new forum for coins as well as better icons for the related coins, first.

Yep. Sorry about that. It is a little odd that it just says GB. Heck, that could be for that group of islands over near France. Do they have a geocoin :D

Why did they go with the GB Geocoin I.D when you log the coin, whats wrong with Midwest Geobash Geocoin?, As they spelled out Geowoodstock Coins rather than GWS geocoins or something like that.

just wondering.

Actually, we didn't know there was an option for the text that displays next to the icon... that's just what we got assigned I guess.

RE: the code retrieval system - that's freely available to anyone who is getting TB numbered coins and wishes to use it vs. re-inventing the wheel. The information you submit is just your email address and is used only to provide you with the code. Nothing more.

It was built after consulting with some PTB types and discussing the challenge of affixing the activation code stickers to such a large number of coins. There are several safeguards built into the system to prevent abuse as well.