Hand Held Unit For Car

I use a Magellan meridian gold in my truck withmap Send Direct software. The only probem I have seen when using a hand held unit in a car or truck is that the street names car be hard to read with the GPS up on a dash board. The screens are a little on the small size for use in a car but they will get you to you destination.

There are several GPS units that will work from Garmin, Magellan and Lowarnce.

There are several units that fill the bill. The key is to look for one that features "autorouting." Among Garmin units, that would include the Legend C, Vista C, 60C, 60CS, 76C and 76CS. The Legend C is the least expensive of this group. With higher prices comes increased memory to load Garmin's detailed maps (which are extra). For autorouting, City Select is the software of choice. Version 6 is the current release. Rumor has it that updated maps will be released in version 7 in the next month or so, if you can wait.

If you're on a budget, the Garmin GPS V is a great value. Its selling for as little as $150 now and it comes with the mapping software, which is $120 by itself. The V will change the screen orientation so its landscape while on your dashboard and it switches for portrait for handheld use. It is older technology however. I'm sure Garmin will be sunsetting the model soon.

On the high end consider the Garmin Map 60C and Map 76C. Both are excellent units and when loaded with City Select, work great for routing in the car.

There is also the Garmin Quest which is very good. The Quest is more an auto navigation unit that can be used as a handheld. The others are more a handheld that can also be used for auto navigation.

Best bang for the buck is the Garmin GPS V. For 250 or less it comes with the City Select software you will need to add to the GPS's (all nice ones) that Sputnik 57 pointed out.

The drawback of the V is that it's black and white and the serial interface to your computer will take longer to load maps in it's 19mb of Memory.

If I get it right memory is as follows.

19 MB GPS V

24MB Legend C, Vista C

56mb 60C and 60CS

115mb 76c and 76cs.

More memory is more maps on the GPS.

There are several units that fill the bill. The key is to look for one that features "autorouting." Among Garmin units, that would include the Legend C, Vista C, 60C, 60CS, 76C and 76CS. The Legend C is the least expensive of this group. With higher prices comes increased memory to load Garmin's detailed maps (which are extra). For autorouting, City Select is the software of choice. Version 6 is the current release. Rumor has it that updated maps will be released in version 7 in the next month or so, if you can wait.

did i get beat, i just got the 2610 three weeks ago with version 6, and now version 7 is coming out? i assume that is the map sourse that came with this unit. will i be able to use this software on any of the units you mentioned? and would this work on my tungsten c pda? thanks in advance :lol:

did i get beat, i just got the 2610 three weeks ago with version 6, and now version 7 is coming out? i assume that is the map sourse that came with this unit. will i be able to use this software on any of the units you mentioned? and would this work on my tungsten c pda? thanks in advance :rolleyes:

It appears that Version 7has just been released, with a release date of 6/1/05. That means that if you unlocked your version 6 software after that date, you will be able to upgrade for free. Per Garmin:

If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

You must order a free Update CD for that particular MapSource product. Do that on the Garmin website, starting at: MapSource Updates

Find the link to the specific MapSource product you have, and click it. You will find a page asking if you live in the United States or outside the United States. Click the appropriate link, and you will find instructions on getting an Update CD.

The Update CDs are free of charge

The 60CS can mount with the belt clip on your dashboard on a cell phone clip and we have a suction cup mount. When you get close to an interection it beeps, zooms in really close to it, shows you where to turn, and tells you the name of the street to turn on to. Granted it has MapSource Topo and City Select, but it's great for handheld and in-car navigation.

would city navigation work on the 60cs? i have the 2610, would the included map software load onto the 60cs?

You Mean City Navigator? From What I have been told City Navigator will work on the 60 series, but the route descriptions will sometimes be cut off or something like that.

But yes, the maps will load and it will autoroute.