Show Off Your Geocoin Collection!

ghostwriter13

I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how  many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen?  Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. :rolleyes:

I've purchased nearly all my metal geocoins. Most geocoin collectors trade with other collectors or buy the coins. We don't take coins that are owned by others and meant to be treated as TBs. Check out some of the threads in this forum and you'll see what I mean.

I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen? Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. :rolleyes:

I am going to take it as your not joking and your new to geocoins. Those coins are personal collections that the person has built up by paying for them or trading other geocoin collectors. They are not activated, stolen, etc.

Hope that answers your question(s).

I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen? Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. :rolleyes:

Probably a lot of them, how else do you get a 'complete' collection? Its not like you can get random shuffle packs of geocoins with a stick of gum :ph34r:

The idea is to either buy them outright, or trade them from someone,(or maybe on occasion find one in a cache) but not steal them.

Possiable, but probably not. What is things goal/mission is whatever the owner wanted. Many signature items / geocoins are merely left as trinkets. Whoever wants them can take them. As you can imagine many of them get picked up, especially the really nice ones. Its why some groups/people have had coins made up don't bother to do any sort of tracking, figuring the coins either go directly into a collection, or are quickly picked up from whereever they go and are then kept.

I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how  many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen?  Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. :rolleyes:

I am going to take it as your not joking and your new to geocoins. Those coins are personal collections that the person has built up by paying for them or trading other geocoin collectors. They are not activated, stolen, etc.

Unfortunately, that's not 100% accurate. There are many who hijack coins and bugs that are supposed to travel for the 'collections'. For instance, in the above referenced thread there is a picture of a coin collection and right on top is a yellow jeep. Those were meant to travel like any other TB but some have decided to keep them as personal mementos. The same is happening with the white jeeps.

If someone buys, is given, or is the initial owner of a coin and then puts it in the trade market, fine. But hijacking a coin or bug that is traveling between caches for one's own collection, IMO, is just wrong.

Thats a really naive stance to take and very unfair to those of us who have worked hard at building any size collection. I have either bought or traded for every coin I have. There is not a single one that was stolen from a cache, or is activated by another, or has a mission or goal other than to remain in my possession. You should really educate yourself about this before making a blanket statement about all coin collectors and basically referring to us as thieves.

The Jeeps are a whole other issue and I agree with you there. They are not mine so I will not keep one for my personal colection. I have said it before and will say it again, they have an owner and a mission and are travel bugs. This means they are to travel forever or until Jeep decides differently. I wish something was done to the people who kept them since it is stealing, but its unenforceable and i doubt you would get much support for this anyhow.

I really hope you realize how offbase your statements about the coins were.

Unfortunately, that's not 100% accurate. There are many who hijack coins and bugs that are supposed to travel for the 'collections'. For instance, in the above referenced thread there is a picture of a coin collection and right on top is a yellow jeep. Those were meant to travel like any other TB but some have decided to keep them as personal mementos. The same is happening with the white jeeps.

If someone buys, is given, or is the initial owner of a coin and then puts it in the trade market, fine. But hijacking a coin or bug that is traveling between caches for one's own collection, IMO, is just wrong.

HI dad. I know some people have stolen coins, but I for one have not. I guess I worded that staement alittle wrong, but I got defensive as a collector that has not stolen one. I have either paid for my coins or traded them for someone elses. I have also released coins into the Geocache wild.

Edited by ladycacher

I don't feel that his questions were off base at all but valid. I have been collecting coins for a little while and I have paid quite a bit of money for them. In building up my coin collection I have looked for those coins that are hard to get and reviewed the pages listing those coins, not to keep one but rather to find one and add a picture to my collection. Many have been "picked" up by cachers who have never released them again. Is that stealing? I guess it is up to the owner of the coin. Just like the white jeep travel bug, many individuals have thought of themselves as the guardian of those travel bugs and take them from cache to cache or event to event. Now many people have traded up for coins that do belong to them and are their personal property but how many didn't trade up or did not purchase them?

There's always what "should" happen, what "could" happen and what "does" happen.

I only trade or buy coins and choose not to keep them from Caches, unless the coin owner allows me to, or if the coin is nontrackable In which case _ is it supposed to go from cache-to-cache?)

However, of the 12 trackable coins I purchased and activated there are only ZERO! still traveling So, what do I do? Nada. I don't use coins as Travel Bugs anymore.

The problem with rules is that unless they are enforced -they really only end-up being guidelines . I think most folks tend to set their own behavior for this activity. this is why there are so many discussions about stats, travel bugs, cache placement, etc, etc(edit) Forgot to add the discussions on Trade Fair: Trade Even, Trade up.

Personally, I just try to have fun and respect other folks property and rights as I would want them to respect mine. (for example, I would never "collect"a Jeep.)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

As others have said here, 100% of my coin collection is purchased or traded, except for one coin where the owner placed in cache as a trade item. They are all new, uncirculated.

Also, as others have said, I have put out several as travelers and they quickly disappeared. I will not do this again. I have put some out as trade items, and have 2 coins currently in my own caches as trade items.... with the note that the trader place in trade, an item worth $4 to $5.

I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how  many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen?  Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. <_<

HI dad. I know some people have stolen coins, but I for one have not. I guess I worded that staement alittle wrong, but I got defensive as a collector that has not stolen one. I have either paid for my coins or traded them for someone elses. I have also released coins into the Geocache wild.

Howdy, Brother and Niece.

Colorado Cacher, how dare you blindly accuse everyone that has a GeoCoin collection of stealing the coins that they have?

Like ladycacher, and others, every coin in my collection was bought, traded, ar given to me as a gift. (Thanks, TSQ). I take great personal offense at your tone, your attitude, and your assumptions. I think that you owe the coin collectors that you have insulted an apology.

Assuming you have any coins, I'm sure that you were the only one on this thread that got them "honestly", aren't you?

Well as a collector of coins I don't take offense to Colorado Cacher's questions. I think they are legitimate questions. I have a collection of several coins that I have purchased or traded but I do believe that people take coins that they have not traded for or purchased. I take offense that someone would slam someone for merely asking questions about the collections.

Since when does someone have to apology for stating their opinions?

I have not stolen any of the coins I have but I don't take offense at Colorado Cacher's statements nor do I take offense at Ladycacher's statement that some of the coins in people's collections have been stolen. I wonder why you didn't take offense to Ladycacher's statements?

Since when does someone have to apology for stating their opinions?

I wonder why you didn't take offense to Ladycacher's statements?

Quoting Colorado Cacher here "I don't mean to be a butthead, but after reviewing the enclosed pictures how many people paid for the coins in these pictures? Are the coins presently being held as stolen? Are their owners expecting these to be floating around from cache to cache as thier Geocoins? Come on. "

These are not opinions. These are question, that are, at best accusatory. Opinions usually don't end with a "?"

As for ladycacher, I have known her for her entire life. I'll bet I know more about her than you do.

I agree with that below, but let me add to it:

If someone buys, is given, trades for, or is the initial owner of a coin. It's not wrong if the coin owner knows what is happening to the coin. In fact, the coin collecting is a thriving "sub-culture" of geocaching.

In fact, I'm about to throw a big monkey wrench towards the market! <_<

It's a tough question to ask if anything taken flom a cache is stolen. Can something left in the woods or city park for anyone to find be considered "stealable" ?

<edit> I think it would be better to state "the cacher is not following the wishes of the Travel Bugs owner." rather than "stealing"

The "spirit" of the game dictates that we move travel bugs - which I personally do. However, is a geocoin which is non-trackable even a travel bug?

For myself, again - I adopt the rule of move travel bugs (dog tag or coin) -specifically, to the wishes of the owner. For coins I place _ they are trade items. Trade 'em keep 'em, or leave them.

I do get upset if my $6 coin gets traded for a $0.20 whistle, but whatever.

The only thing I wish for is if I could specify the coin as a gift for the cache-owner - that would be nice. Sort of the ultimate "Thanks for the cache" gift.

Depends. If you leave the keys in the car, leave a note saying "take car, leave something else behind," publish the location on a website...

(edit) did you know they did this with bicycles is Europe? I think Amsterdam) They had blue bikes that anyone could take and ride. The city kept them tuned-up.

Depends. If you leave the keys in the car, leave a note saying "take car, leave something else behind," publish the location on a website...

(edit) did you know they did this with bicycles is Europe? I think Amsterdam) They had blue bikes that anyone could take and ride. The city kept them tuned-up.

what if the note said "Please do not move or vandalize" or had DO NOT DISTURB stenciled on the side? Trading things in and out is not the same as taking the whole thing.

Yes I'd heard of that before. Its sounds like a very excellent idea.

Did you happen to notice that the biggest problem they have (and why other cities cut the plans) is that it got too costly to fix/replace 'stolen' and vandilized bikes!

Edited by welch

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm not advocating that folks should remove caches! I think that if you leave something that says "Geocache, Please do not disturb" then decency says -- leave it.

The thread seems to be discussing whether taking a geocoin and adding it to a collection is okay or not. My view is that the answer is yes and no. Yes, if the coin is a non-trackable trade item (please trade even or trade up) and no if the coin is a trackable item that is intended to move (in which case it is not a trade item, but a travel bug).

In no circumstances is a travel bug an item that can be kept (unless for some bizarre reason the owner states that it is)

I guess my point is that the entire activity of geocaching involves some "risk" in the items we leave behind. Risk that it may be traded for and kept, risk that an inferior item might be left in its place, risk that the entire cache may disapear (I've had a run of bad luck lately on my caches!).

We need to not hold these items too dear in our minds -- otherwise the activity becomes more fristrating than fun as coins disapear, cache's deteriorate, etc.

There is not way to control peoples behaviour in this activity. Hence my initial post of rules not being rules unless they are enforced -- they become guidelines that not everyone will follow. Whether through community pressure, or even through attempts and enforcing the rules.

How do I enforce someone that has taken my trackable geocoin with a mission to visit all 7 continents to move it? I can't -- so I have to let it go.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm not advocating that folks should remove caches! I think that if you leave something that says "Geocache, Please do not disturb" then decency says -- leave it.

The thread seems to be discussing whether taking a geocoin and adding it to a collection is okay or not. My view is that the answer is yes and no. Yes, if the coin is a non-trackable trade item (please trade even or trade up) and no if the coin is a trackable item that is intended to move (in which case it is not a trade item, but a travel bug).

Yea we got side tracked about stolen cars and bicycles...

My point is, even if something would be easy to steal (and geocaching is a very open activaty. Anyone that finds there way to this site is freely given all the info they can handle), its not right. Don't steal someone's caches, or keep their travelers, or taking something out a cache that was traded in, without trading it back out again!

I guess my point is that the entire activity of geocaching involves some "risk" in the items we leave behind.  Risk that it may be traded for and kept, risk that an inferior item might be left in its place, risk that the entire cache may disapear (I've had a run of bad luck lately on my caches!).

We need to not hold these items too dear in our minds -- otherwise the activity becomes more fristrating than fun as coins disapear, cache's deteriorate, etc.

There is not way to control peoples behaviour in this activity.  Hence my initial post of rules not being rules unless they are enforced -- they become guidelines that not everyone will follow. Whether through community pressure, or even through attempts and enforcing the rules.

yes :)

Where soes one get those cool coin display racks? I have a bunch of coins, but I cannot display them properly.

This is the rack I use. I like it becasue they are in a case to protect them and you can rotate them to view both sides.

animateddisplay.gif

Damenace

Edited by Damenace
Where soes one get those cool coin display racks? I have a bunch of coins, but I cannot display them properly.

This is the rack I use. I like it becasue they are in a case to protect them and you can rotate them to view both sides.

animateddisplay.gif

Damenace

I just looked at buying that one today! I was wondering how nice it was. I didn't know if it was "cheap" with all the plastic cases. Do you like yours? It is sturdy? Does it hang on the wall? The only thing I seen was that it would only hold one size of coin.

Let me know.... PLEASE?

animateddisplay.gif

Damenace

I just looked at buying that one today! I was wondering how nice it was. I didn't know if it was "cheap" with all the plastic cases. Do you like yours? It is sturdy? Does it hang on the wall? The only thing I seen was that it would only hold one size of coin.

Let me know.... PLEASE?

I like mine, there is not a whole lot to it. I find it to be very sturdy. They recommend you put a drop of superglue on the top and bottom of the case to prevent it from popping open. I personally do not do that so I can access the coin if I needed to. Yes it can hang on the wall or sit on a desk, it comes with "feet" to make it even more sturdy. It will hold up to a 2" coin so that covers all coins( at least I have not seen any coins over 2").

LadyCacher, if you where to buy a set and you didn't like it, I would gladly buy it from you at cost assuming it was not broken and all pieces were included ( no, I have no affiliation with the maker or the seller, it is merely just an offer). I am in need of three more sections, so I could always use more rack.

animateddisplay.gif

Damenace

Let me know.... PLEASE?

I like mine, there is not a whole lot to it. I find it to be very sturdy. They recommend you put a drop of superglue on the top and bottom of the case to prevent it from popping open. I personally do not do that so I can access the coin if I needed to. Yes it can hang on the wall or sit on a desk, it comes with "feet" to make it even more sturdy. It will hold up to a 2" coin so that covers all coins( at least I have not seen any coins over 2").

LadyCacher, if you where to buy a set and you didn't like it, I would gladly buy it from you at cost assuming it was not broken and all pieces were included ( no, I have no affiliation with the maker or the seller, it is merely just an offer). I am in need of three more sections, so I could always use more rack.

Thanks for the input. I wil look into one and go from there. If I don't like it, I will offer it to you. Thanks!

mycoins2.jpg

1. My personal antique 2004 usa geocoin

2. 2004 California geocoin

3. greenman coin

4. joy of geocaching coin

5. team airik wooden coin

6. Canadian geocoin

7. 2005 USA geocoin

8. 2004 silver USA geocoin

9. Pennsylvania geocoin

10. my personal wooden coin

11. 2004 California geocoins

12. 2004 Washington geocoins

13. 2004 brass USA geocoin unreg

14. 2005 brass USA geocoin unreg

15. 2005 California geocoins

I'd like to see pictures of your collections, I'll try and get a picture of mine up as well.

I wanted to have a "full rack" before I committed it to a photo.

I just won a second eBay walnut display case like this one for 5 additional "unracked" coins... and a few more on the way!

CoinDisplay.jpg

--Marc

October 31, 2005 @ 4:45 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'