Can Someone Rescue My Tb From Alaska?

wandering4cache

My Koosh Ball Mickey TB was placed on 5/29/05 at the end of a long hike high atop Chena Dome. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-c6696ff13bf5

Hoping someone might have plans to go that way soon...and perhaps could rescue poor old Mickey. Afraid he may be there all winter otherwise.

Mickey's sure had his extremes. Sat out on Vero Beach, FL last year for 3 months in hurricane debris before a letterboxer found him accidentally.....and now stuck on a mountain in Alaska.

Please save Mickey!

Thanks.

Wandering4cache

There was at least one cacher, PedalPushin, at the Fairbanks Alaska Geocoin Distribution Event who said he'd be giving Chena Dome a try before the snow falls. It's not a technically tough hike, just long (16 miles round trip) with 5000' of total elevation gain with no drinking water on the route. RLTW and I rescued two travel bugs that had been up there since the cache was placed when we did the FTF in May after about 21 months of going unfound, so there is hope.

You might try dropping PedalPushin a note of encouragement as I believe he was going to give it a try with his oldest son.

It's not a technically tough hike, just long (16 miles round trip) with 5000' of total elevation gain with no drinking water on the route.

In time the memories of these events that are difficult seem to mellow. I think the hike would have been tougher if I would have been on fire :lol:, but I recall that it was brutal none the less. I also recall at the last cache event a few people showing interest in going out there.

If no one has gotten it by the end of August and the snow is not flying I would be up for a rescue mission...What do you say Daddy Lady Bug?

It's not a technically tough hike, just long (16 miles round trip) with 5000' of total elevation gain with no drinking water on the route.

In time the memories of these events that are difficult seem to mellow. I think the hike would have been tougher if I would have been on fire :lol:, but I recall that it was brutal none the less. I also recall at the last cache event a few people showing interest in going out there.

If no one has gotten it by the end of August and the snow is not flying I would be up for a rescue mission...What do you say Daddy Lady Bug?

Ah, my feeble attempt at irony was missed...no ropes, zip lines, ice axes or other special equipment nor glacier or snowfield travel are required...hence the reference to it not being a "technical" hike. It's a long and arduous one, nonetheless.

If we can get Shovelman jazzed about this one since he hasn't found it, I'd be happy to give it another go on a pleasant Fall day, especially since this cache will get locked down for winter before the other Chena Hot Springs Road caches. If we allow ourselves more time than the last trip, we could even get up to the airplane wreck.

Granite (Torched) Tors also needs a rescue since its ammo box was burned in last year's forest fire.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Talked to Shovelman this afternoon. He said he's game if we can run it :rolleyes:.

If we wait until Labor Day plus or minus a week, the low bush cranberry picking should be outstanding. Don't mind waiting a bit to see if others follow up on their bold words.

In the meantime, we still have caches like Quartz Creek Trail "Caveman Slab" Cache and Ermine Hill, The Denali Fault Cache and Toothy Travel Bug Cache to go find as tune ups :ph34r:, since they might be easier :lol:.

I need a much easier Bug 'rescued' I've been tracking Pink-A-Boo http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...7e-789dc67d4ea5

and trying to get him to Seattle before I leave for Iceland on August

18th.

Last seen in "Earthquake" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e2-fffc67664248

in the Anchorage area.

Anyone headed for Seattle soon? Need a bug taken to Iceland?

geoducky

Haven't forgotten about this one, Wandering4cache, especially now that a full year has come and gone and none of the cachers who talked about going for it last summer went for it. Other than being long, it's such a neat trip a few of us are talking about performing a rescue mission and placing two or three more caches along the route to entice people to trek above the treeline and enjoy the views. We've had a cooler than normal spring, so I suspect 1stimestar is correct that it is still snowed in. I wouldn't want to go up too soon because the cache container is hidden in a rock field. The coordinates are pretty spot one, but a bit of remaining snow cover would make the find a lot more challenging. Will keep you posted.

If no one goes to the cache before I get home from Iraq I will walk back out there again and retrieve the TB. The hike was not much and very scenic. I went alone and had no problem. The weather will have to be warm and clear of snow before I walk the trail again. Maybe pedal pushin will go with me :laughing: .

Hey, Alaska...

Do you folks have a website (e.g. state association)?

What are some of the most interesting or extreme geocaches up there?

What are some fun but not too extreme ones that you'd recommend to someone visiting Anchorage?

Thanks,

Seth!

Hey, Alaska...

Do you folks have a website (e.g. state association)?

Yup...just got it off the ground a few months ago. Here's the url for the fledgling website: GeocacheAlaska! Website

What are some of the most interesting or extreme geocaches up there?

The GeocacheAlaska! website has links to several bookmark lists: Alaska Cache Information

For particularly challenging caches, see MTBoy's list: MT Boys Alaskan Adventure Caches.

For Interior Alaska non Park 'n' Grab caches, see my list: Interior Alaska Scramble Caches

What are some fun but not too extreme ones that you'd recommend to someone visiting Anchorage?

Check out the bookmark lists for Southcentral Alaska at: Alaska Cache Information

For a Washingtonian perspective, check out the caches and stories compiled by the 2005 Alaska Cache 'n' Dash team. Their saga is documented toward the end of the Great Alaska Cache And Dash, In and out - grab and go thread here in the Northwest forums.

Don't hesitate to drop a line if you have additional questions.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

If no one goes to the cache before I get home from Iraq I will walk back out there again and retrieve the TB. The hike was not much and very scenic. I went alone and had no problem. The weather will have to be warm and clear of snow before I walk the trail again. Maybe pedal pushin will go with me :P .

Looking forward to going again...just won't go as far as to say the hike is "not much." :rolleyes:

5bcf3c9c-ec1f-4700-bd11-185c18f036e7.jpg

On the other hand, all things are relative. This trip would probably be a cakewalk compared to spending an entire summer day in full battle gear somewhere in Iraq. Temperatures would probably not exceed 75°, the views are scenic, and best of all, there are no IEDs or snipers shooting at you. One does have to watch for bears, though.

Edited by Ladybug Kids