Transfer Waypoints From Pda To Gps

AtoZ

I know you can send gpx/loc waypoints from a PC but is there a program that will allow you to do it from a PDA. It would beat carrying a Laptop on a trip.

I have a IPAQ 3850 and a Dell X5 and a GPSMAP76 and Foretrex 101 GPS. Both the GPS use a serial connection. I would really like to hear from folks that have done.

cheers

Hmmm...

So far, I've only found serial cables connecting Palm PDA to various GPSrs but nothing for Pocket PCs over USB. If someone can provide an actual part # and manufacturer for such a beast, I'd really appreciate it.

GEO don't you run into problems with the master/slave aspect of USB when trying to hookup a PDA to a GPSr (both slaves)? Or are you thinking of the adapters which have electronics to mimic a PC as a go between for the two slaves?

I know you can send gpx/loc waypoints from a PC but is there a program that will allow you to do it from a PDA.  It would beat carrying a Laptop on a trip.

I have a IPAQ 3850 and a Dell X5 and a GPSMAP76 and Foretrex 101 GPS.  Both the GPS use a serial connection.  I would really like to hear from folks that have done.

cheers

Have a look at G7toCE:

G7toCE

PDOP's...

GEO don't you run into problems with the master/slave aspect of USB when trying to hookup a PDA to a GPSr (both slaves)?

Yes, I believe that's the reason why nothing seems to be available out there.

Or are you thinking of the adapters which have electronics to mimic a PC as a go between for the two slaves?

I'd be curious to find a way of doing this using such hardware.

Do you know of anything that actually works?

-Fabien.

You can get a regular serial cable for your IPAQ. For some you can even get dedicated cables that have the IPAQ connector on one end and the GPS connector on the other. A cheaper and more versatile solution is to plug the two cables together.

For the 3850 you can either get a cable that connects to the bottom of the IPAQ or if you have the Compact Flash cradle you can get a CF serial port card.

Once you have the physical connection, all you need is the G7toCE program from HERE. The program is bit weird to set up (leastways it seems weird to me) but works well once you get it going.

I have used G7toCE with an IPAQ model 3765 and now a 2410 using a CF serial card. In both cases I've used it with a Magellan ST GPS.