City Select

I just got back from best buy and I picked up city select ver 6.01.they only had one left which came with the navigation kit.The only problem is its for the etrex not the 60cs.It cost 100$ which I thought was a fair price even knowing I won't be able to use the mounts!The question is before I open the software will this work on my 60cs as the box says for "etrex"

Edited by ROZZ!
I just got back from best buy and I picked up city select ver 6.01.they only had one left which came with the navigation kit.The only problem is its for the etrex not the 60cs.It cost 100$ which I thought was a fair price even knowing I won't be able to use the mounts!The question is before I open the software will this work on my 60cs as the box says for "etrex"

As others have said, the City Select will work fine on the 60CS. It says eTrex on the box simply because that's what the included mount is designed for. You can probably sell this mount on the GPS Garage Sale Forum.

You got a good price, even just for the software. I personally paid more than I needed to because I wanted the software ASAP, and it cost me $139 plus tax for an REI sales clerk to take that same accessory package you bought for $100 and remove the CDs and charge me full list for the software. Well, that was my decision, and I really didn't need or want the mount. Frankly, the software and it's autorouting function adds so much enjoyment to having the Legend C that it just doesn't bother me much. At least I have the distinction of being the jerk who paid more for City Select than anyone else in world. Perhaps there's a place in Guinnes for me.

Yes, as others have said the software should work fine in your GPS receiver and will make it far more useful. But you may want to wait just a little while before unlocking the maps since v7 should be announced quite soon and you can get a free upgrade if you do the unlock after that announcement.

Edited since there is no longer a need to wait. Garmin has now announced v7 of CitySelect-NA with a nominal release date of 6/01/05 (ship date 8/15).

So anyone first unlocking v6 on or after 6/01/05 should be able to get a free update to v7 from Garmin.

Edited by peter