Using Javascript?

Urubu

I'm trying to set up an easy-to-update profile, by means of a link to a javascript program that is hosted off the gc.com site.

Specifically, I'm trying to change my profile to something like

<script src="REMOTE_URL/geoprofile.js"></script>

where geoprofile.js is a javascript file with code for a pretty list of milestones, FTFs, etc.

When I try updating my profile, the direct method doesn't work. If I change the 'Latest News' in my profile to something like the code above and then update, the 'Latest News' seems to change to a blank.

Is there some simple trick I'm missing?

I requested help from Groundspeak, but they were coy. They say that

(1) it's possible to include javascript from off-site locations

(2) it's not a supported feature, so they can't offer any help

and

(3) maybe someone on the Forums can help me.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Thanks.

- Urubu

Edited by Urubu

Sorry that didn't help.

My expierience with it has been with adding a stat listing (generated by keenpeople.com) to my profile. The exact link that works is:

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.keenpeople.com/components/com_stats/js_showstate.php?stateval=IL"></script>

I'm certainly no expert in this stuff, but maybe you can see some minor difference that I didn't.

Good luck!

The site behaves slightly differently (and works as I hoped in the first place) if I add some little bit of html in addition to the <script>...</script> part.

Initially, when I pasted the <script>...</script> stuff above into the 'Latest News' area and updated, the 'Latest News' changed to a blank.

Now, when I do the same thing with the same text but add a <br> at the beginning, it keeps what I pasted and adds type="text/javascript" inside the initial <script> tag.

I'm baffled, but it seems to work if you put a little standard html into the profile in addition to the javascript link. :unsure:

Edited by Urubu