Hiking Boot Input

I plan on upgrading my crappy $30-40 hiking boots and go for something with a bit more "performance".

Here are my parameters:

Up to $149.99

Wide shoe size support

Waterproof (Gore-tex preferred)

Light weight

mid rise preferred, hi rise second

optional: easy crampon fit.

This is for rugged day hiking. Hills and streams, no real climbing.

I've been looking at the Merrell Switchback.

Any suggestions as to style or stores would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not a Merrel fan- waterproof-wise anyway.

I went through three pair of boots (thank GOD for REI's return policy) before I settled on mine. Merrell was the first to go. I ended up waterlogging them one day (it was pouring the entire day... we didn't slog through any standing water) and they were never waterproof again.

Not acceptable in the PNW.

I have a pair of REI/Raichle's that I quite like and have had for the better part of a year and a half now. Quite simply, they work _for me_ and honestly, that's all that matters.

We hear lots of great things about LL Bean's hikers in the forums. Good prices, too. I will probably buy a pair of them for my daughter soon.

Read reviews for the shoes you're looking at (google: merrell switchback), find someone with a great return policy and get out there!

-=-

michelle

Since you're not averse to high tops, here are my favorites, both made by Danner:

26010.jpg

(Desert Eagle combat boots)

and..

42212.jpg

(Pronghorn hunting boots)

The extra ankle protection is very worthwhile for off-trail excursions. Although the two models are similar, the combat boot has a stiffer shank, helping to prevent foot-fatigue on rocky terrain. The hunting model has a bit more flex and is pretty sticky for scrambling (rock-climbing lite). Don't know about using them with crampons, but Danner responds quickly to emailed questions.

If you haven't worn this style of boot before, you may be concerned that they're heavy or restrictive of ankle movement. These concerns vanish after you wear them for awhile. Your walking gait adapts quickly and you find yourself walking more easily and confidently on rough terrain.

Every time this question pops up you get responses like "You gotta try Merrells" and "My Lowas are wonderful". Unfortunately a boot that is perfect for one person can be living hell on your feet.

The key is to get a boot that fits YOUR feet and not pay any attention to what works for other people. Go to a good boot fitter and buy a boot from a quality manufacturer and your feet will be happy little campers.

Some of the good manufacturers are Danner, Lowa, Merrell, Salomon, Rachlie, Vasque, Alico, LL Bean, Asolo, Scarpa, Zamberlan, Technica and Montrail.

Curmdugeonly Gal is right about LL Beans boots. They are very good - if they fit YOUR feet.

Yes, fit is important, but so are weight, durability, water resistance, breathability, etc.

I have experience with Danner and Vasque years ago--both very good, although the Vasques took a long time to break in. I have a pair of Hermans that are indestructable, and quite warm, but they weigh a ton. I had a pair of Rockys (hunting boots) that lasted just about forever. I also have a pair of Chippewas that are extremely comfortable and waterproof, but the soles are not ideal for hiking, and they won't stay tied.

This might sounds absolutly stupid, but for day hikes, IF i'm not concerned about water or rain, i wear adidas shell toe tennis shoe. they are comfy, light, stick to about anything for climbing reasons. I have had the same shoes for about two years and they hold up excelent. I have climb river banks and lots of slick surfaces with them and the perform very well.

As for hiking boots. would have to agree with just about every body in the forum when they say they must fit your foot. I would rather have a heavy boot that was comfy than a light boot that hurt my arches or were too skinny. I have a pair of Danners right now and have loved how they performed. But they area high top. One thing that i have noticed about the high top is the ankle protection that they give. They look goofy with shorts but hey i know when im going to a rocky area i know im not going to get my shins and ankles tore up. Excellent on water protection too.

But this is all just one guys thoughts, go for what ya know!

Do you get 'Brasher' boots in the USA? Mine are leather, goretex interlined and are incredibly comfortable and lightweight. I was bought them for a bithday present and was allowed to have whichever boots in the shop I wanted, but after trying these on, no others would do. They are 10 years old and going strong!

I'll agree that good fit is essential, but it's kind of a given. When someone is asking for advice on a style, brand or model of boot, they are narrowing their search. "These boots have a good reputation and loyal customers, so if they fit well, I'm golden!"

It's also possible to be too fussy about a perfect initial fit. What feels good in the store may not be good in the field. I've been fooled more than once by a pair of shoes or boots that fits perfectly and feels comfy at try-on but turns out to have a design feature that just doesn't work. Example: soft, flexible soles feel wonderful in the store, but will leave your feet bruised and sore after a long hike on a rocky trail. Stiff-soled, initially less-comfortable boots would be a better choice.

Finally (and the perfect-fit advocates will probably flame me for this suggestion), it's possible to make big improvements in fit with a few simple tricks. Have you tried different lacing techniques? How about different socks or insoles? Once you identify your particular footwear issues and know how to fix 'em your boot shopping becomes a lot less of a matter of patience and luck.

When someone is asking for advice on a style, brand or model of boot, they are narrowing their search. "These boots have a good reputation and loyal customers, so if they fit well, I'm golden!"

Not always. A lot of people are not really informed when it comes to purchasing hiking boots. They shop for them like they'd shop for a car, dishwasher or GPS. gthey'll ask friends and others what is good. When you see posts with comments like "I like the looks of.....", or "What do you think of...?" the person is most likely

fishing for a brand to be directed to, or has a brand in mind because they like the looks and/or price of the boot.

Also, if you have to resort to special lacing techniques and custom insoles, you probably didn't do a good job selecting a boot. They should be last resort measures and not the primary way of getting a boot to fit.

I'll agree that people do make a lot of mistakes in selecting boots/shoes, but I do think that they benefit from sharing information with others regarding non-fit-related issues like durability, waterproofing, features, etc.

Also, if you have to resort to special lacing techniques and custom insoles, you probably didn't do a good job selecting a boot. They should be last resort measures and not the primary way of getting a boot to fit.

Hmm, my feet are peculiar enough that were it not for those last-resort techniques, I'd be forced to go barefoot. And nobody wants that.

I bought the same Danner boot as Blazerfan cites. I have been very happy with it as well. I was told it would take longer to break in than others but I did not find that to be the case. You probably won't go wrong with any quality boot you buy though, as long as it fits you well.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my favorite hiking boots come from Payless, of all places. They have a Stanley tool logo on them, they're pretty darn waterproof, (not perfect, but I can stomp through most small streams and still have dry toes), and have steel toes, and strong steel shanks. I can wear them for miles, (ok, MY interpretation of miles, which is around 10 per day) and they work great.

And, they were only $29 :unsure:

Thanks for all of the advice, which I am indeed consuming. When I mentioned Merrell, btw, it was just as a reference for the style I was looking for.

I stopped by a few places in the area after work tonight, actually tried a couple of pairs on. Most of what I saw were Merrells, but I actually haven't tried a pair on yet. I did a TeVa, which gave me immediate indications of hot spots on the high ankle, plus the heavily tapered sole toward the toe felt, uh, different.

Tried Ecco, but they were closeouts with limited sizes. Had the store had a half size less, they would have been nice.

I mostly liked a pair of Vazquez, but have no knowledge of the brand. But, they are on hold for a couple of days.

I see the name Danner in this thread quite a bit, so I'm going to go look at those, if I can find them.

Thaks again!

Aw man, I LOVE my insoles. The ones that came with the $200 pair of boots sucked... and hey, if you're spending $200 on boots, what's another few for some Superfeet?

You've ruined my day, Brian!

-=-

michelle

p.s. the boots were fine w/o them, but they're really nice with!

Hey, Criminal, those are some serious hikers (Alpinists?) at the other ends of those links. For laughs, here are some more links to folks who might have an informed opinion or two on hiking footwear:

San Jacinto day hike -- 30.4 miles and 11,000+ feet of elevation gain/loss

San Jacinto trail run and down in time for dinner

Another San Jacinto hike (only 23 miles roundtrip)

CurmudgeonlyGal, I'm with you on insoles. I remove the standard ones and replace them with my preferred models on day one.

Hey, Criminal, those are some serious hikers (Alpinists?) at the other ends of those links. For laughs, here are some more links to folks who might have an informed opinion or two on hiking footwear:

San Jacinto day hike -- 30.4 miles and 11,000+ feet of elevation gain/loss

San Jacinto trail run and down in time for dinner

Another San Jacinto hike (only 23 miles roundtrip)

CurmudgeonlyGal, I'm with you on insoles. I remove the standard ones and replace them with my preferred models on day one.

But there are no boot suggestions.

Aw man, I LOVE my insoles. The ones that came with the $200 pair of boots sucked... and hey, if you're spending $200 on boots, what's another few for some Superfeet?

You've ruined my day, Brian!

-=-

michelle

p.s. the boots were fine w/o them, but they're really nice with!

Hey, I use Superfeet too. I love them. They make a good fitting boot even better. But they won't make a lousy fitting bit fit well.

Tried Ecco, but they were closeouts with limited sizes. Had the store had a half size less, they would have been nice

Ecco are not hiking boots, they are hiking style, in other words they look like a Hiking boot but they do not provide any support. You can twist them like a wet rag.

I mostly liked a pair of Vazquez, but have no knowledge of the brand. But, they are on hold for a couple of days.

Vasque is a division of Red Wing shoes, Vasque is one of the oldest named in hiking boots. They started our in Italy, some of there high end boots are still Italain made but like most boot companies there lower priced products are made in Asia.

Speaking of boots, anyone have any experience with waffle stompers by Dunham?

I have Montrails right now, i was looking last month for new boots, haven't really decided on anything yet, there is a pair of Merrels that i have my eye on, but i do agree, each boot type fits each person differently. When i tried the Merrels on, the weird thing was, i tried on 2 pairs both the same size, and one pair fit, and the other pair didn't, yet it was the same shoe in the same size. I guess sometimes even trying on more than one pair of the boot you want can be useful as well.

I have friends that like Columbias, however you couldn't give them to me for free, I feel they have a lack of ankle support, (IMO). I like my montrails, but i only cached in them for about 1.5-2 years, and they are needing to be replaced already, due to tears in the outer material and wear on the soles.

Thanks for all of the input. I have narrowed my choices down to two boots. If anyone here can give me specific reviews, it would be appreciated.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

2) Merrell Pulse II Mid GTX

Thanks!

Both boots will do the job, however you're talking two manufacturers with two different kinds of fits. Each boot mfr. designs their boot along a certain "last". Some fit folk with narrow feet (like Merrell) some fit people with high arches, some are better for low arches, some for wide feet, etc...

Generally, all the boots in a maunfacturer's line will have a similar fit, so if you have a good experience with one boot by a mfr. you probably should stick with them.

Its kind of silly to narrow your choice to two different manufacturers, unless you've already have experience with them, because neither may be right for you.

Edited by briansnat

I have a neuroma on my right foot. The wrong footwear will make that thing flare up in a manner of minutes.

I found Lowa boots to fit my feet very well. I have a regular pair, and a low rise pair of Lowa "hiking shoes" as well.

With the hot summer weather, I've been very happy to be able to wear my Chaco sandals again. The Terreno style have excellent hiking soles.

I have done a number of hikes (2000-3000 elevation change & 5-7 miles round trip per hike) in a pair of EMS brand boots. Gore-Tex lined, flapped tongue, nice slow-wear tread.

I can't remember the style name, but they were really inexpensive and fit nicely for me. I'll echo the idea that it's about the comfort of fit and features for what you need more than the manufacturer. If you make a list of features necessary, features desired, material preferences, and finally vanity/look...then find a few different pair meeting your qualities and try them on. Buy the cheapest one that fits best and you'll have the right boots.

Thanks for all of the input. I have narrowed my choices down to two boots. If anyone here can give me specific reviews, it would be appreciated.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

Thanks!

Both boots will do the job, however you're talking two manufacturers with two different kinds of fits. Each boot mfr. designs their boot along a certain "last". Some fit folk with narrow feet (like Merrell) some fit people with high arches, some are better for low arches, some for wide feet, etc...

Generally, all the boots in a maunfacturer's line will have a similar fit, so if you have a good experience with one boot by a mfr. you probably should stick with them.

Its kind of silly to narrow your choice to two different manufacturers, unless you've already have experience with them, because neither may be right for you.

I apologize, I should have been more specific. I've tried on well over a dozen different types of boots the past couple of days. The two I have listed are the ones that give me the best fit and feel.

So, this is like the grand finale of American Idol. I am taking one of these boots home over the weekend. All the others did not make my cut, for a variety of reasons.

Thanks again.

For my fat feet the pair of Merrells I bought are the most comfortable boots I've worn. They have remained waterproof and so far I've been very happy with the. I'm sorry I don't remember the model. I have had two pairs of Vasque boots of which I went through fairly fast and the waterproofing went very fast.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

Thanks!

The one that fits you the best.

The Merrell Pulse GTX Mid are mine and I love them. Others may not.

For my fat feet the pair of Merrells I bought are the most comfortable boots I've worn. They have remained waterproof and so far I've been very happy with the. I'm sorry I don't remember the model. I have had two pairs of Vasque boots of which I went through fairly fast and the waterproofing went very fast.

Do you NEED waterproofing around here?

:rolleyes:

-=-

michelle

I apologize, I should have been more specific. I've tried on well over a dozen different types of boots the past couple of days. The two I have listed are the ones that give me the best fit and feel.

So, this is like the grand finale of American Idol. I am taking one of these boots home over the weekend. All the others did not make my cut, for a variety of reasons.

Oh, in that case either will do. Both Merrell and Vasque make very good boots. Vasque Sundowners have probably logged more hiking miles than most other models combined.

I just bought a pair of Hi Tec Altitude hikers. Very comfortable. I have pretty flat feet and tried the Merrils and Lowa boots and their high arches bothered my feet. I don't see anyone reccomending Hi Tec. Has anyone had a problem with them?

I've found Hi-Tec are fine for short hikes, but for longer hikes or a hike carrying a 20-lb or better pack (read: daughter in backpack), they got mushy. I needed more support. The boot made all the difference for me.

I just bought a pair of Hi Tec Altitude hikers. Very comfortable.  I have pretty flat feet and tried the Merrils and Lowa boots and their high arches bothered my feet.  I don't see anyone reccomending Hi Tec.  Has anyone had a problem with them?

I've found Hi-Tec are fine for short hikes, but for longer hikes or a hike carrying a 20-lb or better pack (read: daughter in backpack), they got mushy. I needed more support. The boot made all the difference for me.

I bought some Hi Tek Trek Lite shoes/boots from REI Outpost 'cause at $35.00, they were a deal and I was looking for some "beater" boots. Well, they became my favorite footwear on long hikes. They are not waterproof, but they are extremely light and, to me, very comfortable to wear. I have never gotton blisters or been chafed, unlike my Danner Striker boots, which are very comfortble, and I can run quite fast in them, but they do chafe my feet on hikes over 4 miles.

The longest hike on the Hi Teks has been 12 miles throught the rugged and hilly Iron Mountain in Poway, Ca. Oh, I, too, was carrying 20 lbs extra - on my belly <_< .

Edited by Chuy
I just bought a pair of Hi Tec Altitude hikers. Very comfortable.  I have pretty flat feet and tried the Merrils and Lowa boots and their high arches bothered my feet.  I don't see anyone reccomending Hi Tec.  Has anyone had a problem with them?

High-tec does make some boots that are better for carrying a back pack, but most stores do not carry them.

VASQUE

VASQUE

VASQUE

VASQUE

I wear mine all year long at work and play and they hold up great. I used to go through 3 pairs of cheap boots a year @ $50 a time. I bought one pair of Vasque for $160 and wore them everyday for 2 years before the soles wore down and the waterproofing gave out. I bought a new pair for everyday use at work etc.. and still wear the old pair where waterproofing and slick soles aren't an issue.

I buy goretex Rocky's. I like the ones with the 8" uppers for added support. They last forever, are very comfortable and are light weight so I don't feel like I've hiked a 100 miles when I actually hiked 3 or 4.

I looked at Danners, but they seemed to all be to narrow for my feet. Maybe it was the boot dealer and all he carried were the narrower styles.

<_<

Thank you all for your input. I did consider all of the comments that you took the time to provide.

I wound up going with the Vasque, though quite honestly, I could have gone with either. In fact, since I had to purchase the Merrells to take to the other store to do a foot-to-foot comparison, I may wind up keeping them anyway.

Thanks again!

I have narrowed my choices down to two boots. If anyone here can give me specific reviews, it would be appreciated.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

I'm waiting for Campmor to get in the Vasque Breeze GTX XCR Wide in size 10 since May. They keep saying "soon". I can't find anyone that has that boot in size 10 (Wide!).

Where did you get your GTX XCRs? You said you wanted a wide in your original post. Did you get a wife boot?

I have narrowed my choices down to two boots. If anyone here can give me specific reviews, it would be appreciated.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

I'm waiting for Campmor to get in the Vasque Breeze GTX XCR Wide in size 10 since May. They keep saying "soon". I can't find anyone that has that boot in size 10 (Wide!).

Where did you get your GTX XCRs? You said you wanted a wide in your original post. Did you get a wife boot?

I sent you an email with some more info, but for everyone else, I didn't get a wide in either boot. The Vasque's are a bit more snug, but no uncomfortably so.

1) Vasque Breeze GTX XCR

I you have a local red wing dealer tty them, most red wing stores also stock vasque. Thye mau also be able to order a pair for you.