Tb Visits To Multiple Caches With Single Cacher?

Vtop

Yes I admit I am ussually a lurker - but I am coming out of the shadows to ask a TB question.

I like to watch TB's which I have helped move along and got notification of one of the TBs visiting 3 caches in one day! A single cacher had taken the TB along with them for the day and logged the TB in and out of 3 different caches - and then also kept the TB! This cacher has way more finds than I do so maybe I am the one who doesn't understand but I thought TBs where not only to see how far they could travel but also how many different cachers could help move them around...what is the purpose? Is it acceptable to log TBs in and out of your caches along the way? I could see doing this if the TB goal was somehow linked to moving multiple times with a single cacher but this TB doesn't have anything like that at all.

I don't know the protocol on this, being new myself, but I probably wouldn't mind it as long as the person got it moving within a week or two of picking it up. I've seen some TB logs where a cacher has taken it to multiple caches and put a lot of miles on it and then released it in a short timeframe. I don't have a problem with this.

However, I did see a bunch of WJTB logs where an individual has been taking it from cache to cache for over a month and still has it. In a couple instances they submitted goal photos for the month of July in the very beginning of the month, and they STILL are holding onto it. They have been actively caching, moving it from place to place still, and I'm sure they've had plenty of opportunities to drop it in a cache. I just think that's poor sportsmanship. Let someone else be able to move the WJTB around, too! There are several people who have been doing this, and some of them have more than one in their posession that they are doing it with! That's not cool in my opinion.

Is it acceptable to log TBs in and out of your caches along the way?

Yes. Ultimately the cacher will release the bug in a location they had choosen before setting out. They could have simply held the bug until they reached that cache but they decided that the bug should at least get credit and mileage for visiting caches along the way.

Bugs come and bugs go. One no missed out on the fun just because one bug passed through their town.

I do this myself. My dog is a TB, and each cache we visit that she is with us, I log her in and out. We like tracking all the caches she has visited. Also, if the TBs goal is to visit as many caches as possible, or to go caching with cachers, we will log them in/out for a while before putting them into a suitable cache (and of course, add pictures for the owners enjoyment).

I've also done this with TBs that I would hold (with the owners knowledge) for a bit longer period of time so I can further their goal. I will log them in/out and add pictures, so the owners can see some activity while it is waiting.

It doesn't add anything to your stats, and as long as it will further the goal of the TB, there is nothing wrong with it. If anything, most owners appreciate the activity, especially if you throw in a picture or two.

Happy Caching

DcCow

This has been very enlightening, thanks to the OP for asking this question. It never occured to me to log a TB in and out of caches while I was holding it (but I've also only had one other TB). Currently we have 2 TBs we plan to drop off this weekend while we are out caching. We have 3 caches planned for Sat and 1 or 2 for Sun. One TB I want to drop off at our 3rd cache on Sat and the other TB I plan to drop on Sun at a location more fitting for it.

Because of this thread I will take pictures of the TBs at each location we visit before we drop them. It won't add many more miles since all the caches are in the same area but I think it may be interesting for the TB owner to see where the TB has passed through.

Thanks for asking the question! :unsure:

This almost seems to be more common than not. A lot of TBs goal is simply to get mileage, so often a TB can get mileage added to it by one cacher in a single area. I know my general rule of thumb is to ask the owner before I do multiple drop/takes.

I had one TB for almost 4 months, and the owner and I corresponded positively the whole time. Sometimes you just get used to having that travelling companion with you (for those of us without the dog :unsure:)

The key to doing this is whether or not you're doing it for a long time and whether or not the owner has expressed discontent with the idea. I think if you're keeping a bug just to do drop/retake's for more than a couple days, you should correspond with the owner to let him know. Most owners don't seem to mind as long as the TB is moving.

This almost seems to be more common than not. A lot of TBs goal is simply to get mileage, so often a TB can get mileage added to it by one cacher in a single area. I know my general rule of thumb is to ask the owner before I do multiple drop/takes.

I had one TB for almost 4 months, and the owner and I corresponded positively the whole time. Sometimes you just get used to having that travelling companion with you (for those of us without the dog :unsure:)

The key to doing this is whether or not you're doing it for a long time and whether or not the owner has expressed discontent with the idea. I think if you're keeping a bug just to do drop/retake's for more than a couple days, you should correspond with the owner to let him know. Most owners don't seem to mind as long as the TB is moving.

Yep, one thing I have always enjoyed about this community is that most people are more than happy to pass a few emails back and forth.

I would say that I don't ask the owner on every bug that I move through a few caches. Considering the average TB logging rate. (hmmm once every three months?) having someone carrying your bug through a couple-three caches is kind of a treat. It shows they are having some fun with your bug (which is really the point) and are taking care of it.

Of course there are situations where you might want to ping the owner. Like holding it for three or more weeks, being able to complete it's goal within two days of its release. (I've seen it happen and the owner did want it to go through a few more caches first), stuff like that.

Several weeks back, I found a TB whose goal was to get as many miles on it as possible without leaving the state (Washington). I was a weekend cache odyssey and was only half way home. I took the TB with to each cache so it logged some additional miles with me. In my posting, I let the owner know and they didnt complain.

We also have a personal TB, it travels with us even when we just go to do a maintenance check on one of our caches.

Not sure if Bear Paughs was specifically speaking of these, but here are some cases in point...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=188613

or

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=190245

I went and bought a White Jeep at Wal-Mart, so I'm not tempted to "admire" the actual game pieces for too long.

Actually those weren't specific ones I was speaking of, but are yet another example of what I'm speaking of. Having 2 over a month is just plain greedy. Gosh, put at least one out there in circulation so others can play! If you're going to do that for an extended period of time, get a Walmart jeep and make it your personal TB already! Gheesh!

Logging a TB in and out is no problem, help it along the way. Posting photos makes it more fun! It gives the travel bug a little history, a little character, breathes life into it. Holding onto the TB and never letting it go, well that's not really acceptable. Usually if you're going to have a bug for an extended period of time it's best to send the owner and e-mail and let them know your plans.

I do this myself.  My dog is a TB, and each cache we visit that she is with us, I log her in and out.  We like tracking all the caches she has visited.

I'm annoyed by virtual TBs. I'm annoyed with people that simply visit bug hotels and log all the TB numbers without moving the TBs. I'm annoyed with people that hold onto TBs and log them across multiple caches, and then hold on to them. Which is why I now ignore all TBs. Too much questionable activity surrounding them.

But your dog as a TB. That rawks!! Now I should do that.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

Hey.. new idea. A person TB to log our miles.

If I would have known about Geocaching before and TBs, I could have logged several thousand miles in Australia, the Pacific Ocean & islands, and Antarctica when I was in the Navy.

This might be a cool thing for the family when we do our vacations. Find a geocache on our way, and log ourselves....

What do you all think?

I have a few TB's that travel with me. I have a personal one that I log miles onto so I can keep track of where I have been, time wasted, and the amount of gas $$$ spent. A few others (with the owner's consent) travel with me as well. The owners even sent them to me to travel! I am going overseas to Iraq (I said that months ago, but am still waiting) and the owners wanted them dropped off over there. In the 6 months with me, I have put over 20K miles on a few of the first ones sent to me with all the traveling/training I do. The owners love it!

Hey.. new idea. A person TB to log our miles.

If I would have known about Geocaching before and TBs, I could have logged several thousand miles in Australia, the Pacific Ocean & islands, and Antarctica when I was in the Navy.

This might be a cool thing for the family when we do our vacations. Find a geocache on our way, and log ourselves....

What do you all think?

Yep, I know a couple of cachers who have TB tags for themselves...so go for it! One person has hers around her neck and only logs her personal TB into 5-star caches. I also hear there's someone down in the Southwest who has a TB number tattooed on their arm - talk about a personal TB! :laughing: