60cs - Price Hike?!

I've noticed that the price for the 60cs has jumped by about 20-50 bucks at all sellers (to $390-$450, from $350-400) and Amazon no longer carries it (after selling it at a record-low $340 for a few weeks after the rebate had ended).

Is this an indication that they are clearing out inventory before a product update? Or is Garmin about to start a better rebate program? Or seeing how they couldn't innovate themselves out of a muddy ditch, the marketing department decided to just push up the prices of all their successful designs?

In fact the price is now higher than when the 60cs was originally introduced. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=69144&hl=

(scroll down to kiltsurfer's post and check a few sites randomly; I guarantee the price will be about the same or higher).

There is an eBay seller that I am watching very carefully. He/she is selling them for $350 with free shipping. As soon as he/she gets some feedback for the ones they sold this past week, I may react.

I expect to see some movement in prices soon. But, like you, I was surprised when they went up recently.

Traditionally it has been common wisdom that when a rebate expires either a new rebate starts, or the price drops to the vicinity of the old price minus the rebate amount. This is the first time occasion I have seen where the price actually went up by the amount of the rebate, not down...

Is this an indication that they are clearing out inventory before a product update?

No, if they were clearing out inventory they would lower the price.

Or is Garmin about to start a better rebate program? Or seeing how they couldn't innovate themselves out of a muddy ditch, the marketing department decided to just push up the prices of all their successful designs?

Or it could be that the cost of procuction has gone up. No manufacture is going to increase the price of a product uhless they have to.

The prices seem to fluctuate a lot.  I paid $360 about 8 months ago. Then a few weeks later you couldn't find them anywhere for less than $390. Then they went down again and, I guess, back up now.

maybe their tied to price of gas? :unsure:

I'm sure that is part of the problem, Gas prices will effect the price of everthing thing we purchase. As manufactures run out of stock and put products back into production the cost to purchase materials can go up and this will drive the retail price up. Not only does an increase in fuel cost effect the price of transporting a product, the increase in the price of oil will result in an increase in the price of the materials for any product.

The prices seem to fluctuate a lot.  I paid $360 about 8 months ago. Then a few weeks later you couldn't find them anywhere for less than $390. Then they went down again and, I guess, back up now.

maybe their tied to price of gas? :D

I'm sure that is part of the problem, Gas prices will effect the price of everthing thing we purchase. As manufactures run out of stock and put products back into production the cost to purchase materials can go up and this will drive the retail price up. Not only does an increase in fuel cost effect the price of transporting a product, the increase in the price of oil will result in an increase in the price of the materials for any product.

Jet Fuel is way up in price too, effecting Airfreight costs. :D

One thing of interest, is that some Plastics that the GPS units are made of, come from OIL too. :unsure:

Those poor airlines are being smothered by Jet fuel prices, Health Care costs and etc. :D

Edited by GOT GPS?
On Amazon the price for a 60C went from $314 this afternoon to $379 this evening.

But check again tomorrow. As has been widely reported in this forum, the Amazon price you get seems to change every visit. Some speculate that they use cookies to see if you've been there before, and don't offer the same low price on your later visits. Others guess (and I am in the latter camp) that Amazon is really just brokering the deal, and offers prices based upon the best deal their various suppliers post from time to time. If you see a great price, stick it in your shopping cart!

On Amazon the price for a 60C went from $314 this afternoon to $379 this evening.

But check again tomorrow. As has been widely reported in this forum, the Amazon price you get seems to change every visit. Some speculate that they use cookies to see if you've been there before, and don't offer the same low price on your later visits. Others guess (and I am in the latter camp) that Amazon is really just brokering the deal, and offers prices based upon the best deal their various suppliers post from time to time. If you see a great price, stick it in your shopping cart!

I had both the 60CS and C in my shopping cart and thats how I found out the price went up. Amazon does change prices often but it seems like for the CS at least it is not Amazon that is selling it anymore, it is offered through one of their partners.

It is no big deal I have a few weeks before I have to buy. I want it before I go on vacation at the end ouf August.

:rolleyes: When the 60CS first came out the list price was $495.00 prices may be fluctuating, but they are still down from that price. I bought mine for $405 form Ebay. At the time that was the lowest price anyone could buy it for. Guess it depends on how bad you want it how much you are willing to pay....
I finally ordered my 60CS. I got it from buy.com for $384. I also signed up for their credit card so they knocked $30 off. It was the cheapest I could find it.

I hope you have better luck than I did with Buy.com--have you Googled them for "problems" recently? I did *finally* get a refund, two months later (over $1,000 order), after contacting their local branch of the BBB. Many, many nightmare stories out there. Sometimes the place with the best price is not the best place to shop. Good luck!

I finally ordered my 60CS.  I got it from buy.com for $384.  I also signed up for their credit card so they knocked $30 off.  It was the cheapest I could find it.

I hope you have better luck than I did with Buy.com--have you Googled them for "problems" recently? I did *finally* get a refund, two months later (over $1,000 order), after contacting their local branch of the BBB. Many, many nightmare stories out there. Sometimes the place with the best price is not the best place to shop. Good luck!

I've never had a problem with them, though I admit I don't order from them as much as I did a few years ago. Recently I bought an iPod photo they had on deep discount and had no problems with their service, it arrived very fast and as advertised brand new sealed in the box.

I, too, used Buy.com a couple of years ago and they were great--cheap and fast. Within the last year they seem to have been having *major* issues (which I found out after I ordered). Things will show as "in stock" on the website, but in reality are not. Their phone number (tough to find) gets you English as a second language people who will promise you anything to get you off the phone. After two months of run-around and lies (after they had the $), I got thru to the BBB in their area and finally got the money back.

A little wiser now, I Google any on-line merchant I haven't used for a while and proceed accordingly.

Hopefully your transaction will go smoothly!

I still havent recieved my rebates from gpsexplorer or garmin....I sent them both around 3-4 months ago..........AHHH......

Try calling both Garmin and GpsExplorer.com to ask about your rebates. I called each after 30 days just to confirm that my rebate coupons were infact received. My check from Garmin was received in 9 weeks. GpsExplorer took 14 weeks.

I actually recieved 1 rebate today, but they spelled my name wrong..HA! Not sure who its from though....so i'm sure its all good and stuff..

Glad to hear you received your first rebate. The Garmin rebate will come from New Rochelle, N.Y. and the GpsExplorer check will be sent from Douglas, AZ.

Good luck.