Ximage

storm1

yep.. easiest way is to get them into MS Paint, then stretch/skew so they are 16x16 pixels (yes, tiny) then save in MyDocuments/MyGarmin/Custom Waypoint Symbols as ###.bmp (or is it Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp) where ### is from 000 to 063

Its been a year since I did this but should be pretty close

yep.. easiest way is to get them into MS Paint, then stretch/skew so they are 16x16 pixels (yes, tiny) then save in MyDocuments/MyGarmin/Custom Waypoint Symbols as ###.bmp (or is it Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp) where ### is from 000 to 063

Its been a year since I did this but should be pretty close

Everything Park2 said is correct to get map source to have custom images. To get images to send to your GPS name it "Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp" as a 16*16 in 256 color(when saving, below the "File Name" box there is a "Save As Type", and change it to "256 Color Bitmap").

And instead of Stretch/skewing the inages down to 16*16, just use these images, they are already 16*16, just convert them to 256 Clolor BMP.

when i go "there" and click on the "16X16 icons" all i get is a little picture of a ghost.

i want to know how to make them 16X16

The ghost is already 16*16, so if you work with it, it will save you some work.

So, at the ghost you need to right click the ghost and click "save as" and save it to your computer, then, open it in MS Paint and click "Save as" (under "File") and change "save as type" to "256 Color Bitmap". If you want to send it to your GPS, then name it "Waypoint Symbol XXX"(Where XXX is any number between 000 and 023) and put it in the "ximage" folder (most likely C:\\Program Files\Garmin\ximage\). If you want to put it into Map Source name it "XXX"(Where XXX is any number between 000 and 063) (Don't forget to make it a BMP) and there you have your Virtual geocache icon.

To do the rest(ie-traditional, multi, etc) go back at the the ghost and look at the bar at the top and yoy will see http://www.geocaching.com/images/wpttypes/sm/4.gif/. Now, change the 4.gif to 2.gif and repeat the process. (then change 2 to 3 etc)

If this does not answer your question and you still want to know how to make something 16*16, Open the file in MS Paint and under image click on stretch/skew and type in percents until it is the right size.

Edited by david g

If this does not answer your question and you still want to know how to make something 16*16, Open the file in MS Paint and under image click on stretch/skew and type in percents until it is the right size.

how will i know it is the right size in ms paint?

how will i know it is the right size in ms paint?

Y = 16/X

Where X = the images current width(or height)

and Y = the percent to multiply the image by to get 16

In paint go to Attributes, under Image and find its current width and height.

So if you have an image that it 72*64 (width*height) then do 16/72=.2222 and 16/64=.25 Then go to the stretch/skew box(under the image menu) and in the stretch box enter 22%(you need to round to the nearest whole percent) in the horizontal box and 25% in the vertical box and click OK.

how can i change the back ground color so that the back ground is transparent in my gps?

Yoor GPS assumes that purple is clear.

1) open your image wiith MS Paint and click on "Edit colors" under the "Colors" menu.

2) click on "define custom colors".

3) enter 255 in the red and blue boxes and 0 in the green box.

4) click OK.

5) Then select the "fill with color" tool (its on the left, the paint bucket pouting paint out)

6) click(with the fill tool) somewhere around your image, it should turn purple.

7) save your image

Edited by david g
Actually, MAGENTA (pink) is the clear color. I believe your color settings of

R=255

B=255

G=0

are correct though.

i had been successfully making custom icons with the magenta backgound but now i have a problem with "Paint".

i pick magenta as the fill color of the backgound but when i actual do the fill, it doesn't fill with the magenta. depending on the picture i'm working on, the fill color could be anywhere from grey to an orangy-brown?

Don't quite know what to tell you there. Never heard of that happening before. Does it just happen like that for magenta, or does the same thing happen for other colors as well? Try clicking on "Colors" in the menu bar and select "Edit Colors". Then click on the "Define Custom Colors" button - see what you can do with playing around in there...

Don't quite know what to tell you there. Never heard of that happening before. Does it just happen like that for magenta, or does the same thing happen for other colors as well? Try clicking on "Colors" in the menu bar and select "Edit Colors". Then click on the "Define Custom Colors" button - see what you can do with playing around in there...

it happens with whatever color i pick...it fills with another color.

i've done the define color thing.

I have a suggestion for you if you feel brave enough to do it. It involves going into the Windows registry and deleting a few keys. I know everybody says, "don't edit the registry - your system will explode," but I have tried this on a test computer here at my office, and it's all good. Trust me - I'm a professional and I know what I'm doing! Below are step-by-step instructions to walk you through it - piece o' cake!

Click the "Start" button and select "Run"

Type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click the "OK" button

Click on the "+" symbol to the left of each of the following folders in sequence

+ HKEY_CURRENT_USER

+ Software

+ Microsoft

+ Windows

+ CurrentVersion

+ Applets

Below the "Applets" folder is the "Paint" folder.

Click and highlight that "Paint" folder so that the word "Paint" appears in Blue

Press the [Delete] key on your keyboard!

A confirmation window will apear asking if you really want to delete the Paint key and all of its subkeys - Click "Yes"

Close the Registry editor

Try running the Paint program again

New program defaults will be restored as if you're running the program for the first time - What you just deleted in the Registry Editor will be restored with original program defaults.

hopefully it will correct the problem you're having with the colors.

Edited by Neo_Geo
i pick magenta as the fill color of the backgound but when i actual do the fill, it doesn't fill with the magenta. depending on the picture i'm working on, the fill color could be anywhere from grey to an orangy-brown?

Try and save it as a 256 color bmp, then see if you still have the color problem. If it is currently saved as a grayscale bitmap, then when you try to paint purple, it rounds it to the neares grey.