Geocaching In The News

Muddler

I think that GeoCaching, if it gets too big, could possibly end up with alot more cache vandals. If GPS's start showing up in all phones, people can see something on the news and "play a trick on those people". I like to see expansion, but with advantages always comes disadvantages.

Wow, no matter how many caches you have found, if you cannot see that the more "heard of" geocaching gets, the more vandals will arise. That doesn't take experience to know, that takes deductive reasoning, which I suppose you lack.

I think that GeoCaching, if it gets too big, could possibly end up with alot more cache vandals. If GPS's start showing up in all phones, people can see something on the news and "play a trick on those people". I like to see expansion, but with advantages always comes disadvantages.

Preventing your caches from being muggled is fairly easy.

(1) Make your "caches of value" Members only caches.

(2) Make your "caches of value" extremely hard puzzle caches.

(3)Place your "caches of value" in remote areas so the effort required to get to the cache deters cache maggots.

Wow, no matter how many caches you have found, if you cannot see that the more "heard of" geocaching gets, the more vandals will arise. That doesn't take experience to know, that takes deductive reasoning, which I suppose you lack.

WOW are you ever right. The more people there are the more crooks there are. The more cars on the road the more crashes. The more people that know how to read the more they'll want to take over the world. Gotta keep "them" all stupid. Keep gps out of "their" hands.

That kind of thinking reminds me of some of groups that want to keep their women from learning, keep knowledge from the populace, etc. It's one of the oldest, meanest, and misinformed arguments there is.

So what you are saying is that you wish you never heard of the game, right?

Jeremy is just another run of the mill GeoCacher, who owns all rights of the word. Do think any less of yourself as a cacher because you haven't cached with him, regardless of his status. I would much rather cache with Sir Tenzing Norgay or Edmund Hillary. Your "status-quote" should have nothing to do with who you have cached with, or even how many caches you have found, but by how much fun you have caching and how much general knowledge you have of hiking, geocaching, and "neat" places to go.

Buy an old junker car, strip it out, spray paint it camo, and make it a cache.

There should be a "hiding limit" for cachers. Like one hide per member per month. To stop the 30 micros in one area. To totally throw off the balance of large/regular/micro each is good in small doses, but if you overload an area with too many, you have made an impact on caching in your area. No ONE CACHER, should be able to change the face of caching in their community. Leave some hiding spots for the rest of us, and let us decide what we like so we can hide it. The more variety the better.

If I was a Premium Member, I have a feeling that I'd be VERY ignorant.

Once this game becomes a competition on who can find the most. It will more likely snowball. I live in a perfect area for good caches, but I know that the infection will more likely spread here in years to come. Maybe limiting hides per member to 5 or 10, it will atleast limit these people who hide 50 film containers on Main Street.

~Just a thought.

And his number 1 post, illustrating his brilliance is:

Micros are like AIDS in a sense. They seem to be easy to acquire in an area of the country. But once they are there, you cannot get rid of them. And they continue to infect the rest of the area over a period of time until "quality" caching in that area is no more. Micros will lead to the demise of travel bugs, White Jeeps and such. Leaving a disposable camera so people who find your cache can take a picutre of them getting there, and neat ideas like that will be onei n a million. Logging a logbook with just your screenname rather than your experience getting there. How can we stop this? We can hide more "regular" caches, and hide so many regulars to try to "convert" that area back to normal. With a big enough movement, caching can return to a place where regular caches are the norm.

This is my compilation of Team Alpha Omega's "Wisdom" posts