How To Get A New Cache Noticed

wandat24

I have finally been able to place my first cache. How ever I have noticed ALOT of caches aren't found for as long as a month after it has been placed. The one I placed is near my home, well in my home town, and there isn't one for about 10 miles from here. I have been thinking about placing a few others along a line from my town to one or two other towns, perhapse 2-3 in between. Would this help mine, it being only one for so long, be found at all or more often. Or should I just wait and see if somone actually finds it and many do afterwards?

I do plan on placeing more in the near future, even plan on finding more. I had hoped to find more before now, but because of the winter and only on car and long hours my husband works, I havn't had much time to go out and find very many.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Edited by wandat24

It sounds like there aren't many cacher in your area. Placing several would entice peole to make a road trip. People hate to drive a long way just for one cache. However if you place one outstanding cache word will spread, and they will come.

I might consider placing a multi cache in the nearest major town and have the stages lead back to my home town.

El Diablo

I did go out caching over this last weekend (one week since i'd placed mine) and was able to fin a TB. So, lol, I place it in mine. If it's still not found the next time I go out (which I hope will be this coming weekend) I plan on taking the TB on to another one. I am hoping that perhapse the chance of getting a TB will help mine get found.

I hadn't thought of the multi i may try that.

Unfortunately El Diablo is right. Unless there are other caches around yours, few people will bother with it. Most geocachers, whether they admit it or not, are in it for numbers and if they can't log a half dozen smileys they'll pass.

So yes, placing other caches in the area will help generate visits.

1) Place new cache

2) request cache to be activated on a Saturday morning

3)  Stock cache with White Jeep Travel bug

4)  Set up lemonade stand and lawn chair 15' feet from cache

5)  **STEP MISSING**

6)  Profit!

you have to have one of them TBs before you can place it in your cache....

So, where are you?

I had a new cache listed yesterday that was 45 miles away. I thought about skipping out of work early, grabbing the kids and heading over there. I decided against it and at 7:10 this morning it was logged as found.

24 hours is a long time for a cache to go unfound around here unless it is a tricky puzzle or multi.

Place your cache and I bet people will find it!

Good luck to you and thanks for placing a cache!

I think this weekend i may go ahead and place a few more then next one i'll go out to find some. The one i have right now is actually kinda easy to find, but is hard enough non-cachers can't. I have about 5 more ready to go, just need "homes" for them lol

Place them all, by all means. But... also consider each location as well as you can. First impressions *DO* count here. You are out on the end of the earth and if a couple of the first people finding your caches can say good things more people will go to the end of the earth for you. If they say bad things you're going to need a gun and a rope to get them to visit.

FWIW I placed two out on one of those end of the earth places and both had a visit in the first week. Someone with a GPS and access to the site came and trashed them both. There's a lot to be said for quality cachers as well as quality caches.

I'm having the opposite problem - two new caches were placed in my area and even though I have checked the 'notify me about new caches in my area' box I have still not received any such notification :anicute:

I only found out about them when I was double-checking my cache list.

I have figured out that the only way I am going to see new caches is to set up a PQ for unfound caches within 100 miles of here.

I uncheck "event caches" because they show as unfound until the day of the event.

I originally ran the PQ every day. But, as it started to show up later and later in the day, I have disabled the "automatic" execution and now I simply manually run it each morning as soon as I get up and look for any caches that are new.

Since I am only talking about one or two, it isn't really necessary to get them emailed to me, I can go to the page and download the .gpx files for a couple of caches.

I have yet to get a notification about a new cache via email.

A month before first find? Most caches down here don't last a day! We have a VERY active cacher commuity. :lol: Just give it time. They'll come along. To paraphrase a well-known line - If you hide it, they will come. :anicute:

A day?! Would you believe a couple HOURS!!

around here there is a mad rush for caches.

hard as heck to get a FTF -

Told my caching buddy the other day the only way I'd ever get a

FTF was to log one of my own -- har har ...

:huh:

cc\

I simply manually run it each morning as soon as I get up and look for any caches that are new.

I'll do that from now on.

I think you should simply add the magic words, 'Geocoin in cache'. Here a cache left for months suddenly had a huge amount of visitors an hour after someone placed a Geocoin there. Can't think why... :anicute:

Unfortunately El Diablo is right. Unless there are other caches around yours, few people will bother with it. Most geocachers, whether they admit it or not, are in it for numbers and if they can't log a half dozen smileys they'll pass.

So yes, placing other caches in the area will help generate visits.

Lately, it hasn't just been about numbers, it's been about the price of gas, as well. If you need to make a 30 minute drive to go to a cache, it makes it feel a little better when you can get several on the one trip. It makes it especially frustrating when a new cache pops up in a remote area, then everyone goes to it, and then they place caches while doing that one, and then you get home and see all the new caches where you just cached, and then you look at gas prices and sigh... :anicute: (Been there, done that, many times in our geocaching community - both as the perpetrator, and as the victim. :lol: )

Please note that there is a large assortment of caches 10 - 15 miles to the east of yours. That is not that great a distance for people to travel to cache.

In order to get people to visit your cache, it helps if the write-up on the cache page peaks their curiosity. This cache both intrigues some cachers and bothers other cachers. But it does get their attention! This is the first thing that will make people want to do your caches.

Things that will help later on are, Location, the way it is hid (as in not a typical hide under a rock.), and will the people have fun seeking out your cache.

One last thing to note is, if it is very far from the road (about 1/2 mile or more) then the number of people who will go for it will be drastically lower than if it is next to the highway.

Hope this helps,

John

In order to get people to visit your cache, it helps if the write-up on the cache page peaks their curiosity. This cache both intrigues some cachers and bothers other cachers. But it does get their attention! This is the first thing that will make people want to do your caches.

OH MY! lol i like it, if it wasn't so far away I'd be willing to go after it myself

Ok, I live in the far NE corner Of Oklahoma. Real close to Miami, as another poster mentioned. I think I will be putting the rest out this weekend. And, yes there are a lot close to me (if they aren't MIA, that is).

I found one over the weekend that i think the only reason i kept looking was because of the trouble i went through!!! I HATE THORNS!! anywho lol. I'm also thinking of a RT 66 themed one. I have a 55 cal ammo can (5 of them actually), that i'm not using (well only 2 aren't being used, yet). I think that would be a good sized one. I have one of the 2 alread ready to go out lol.

Thanks for the replies!!! :)

Please note that there is a large assortment of caches 10 - 15 miles to the east of yours. That is not that great a distance for people to travel to cache.

Things that will help later on are, Location, the way it is hid (as in not a typical hide under a rock.), and will the people have fun seeking out your cache.

One last thing to note is, if it is very far from the road (about 1/2 mile or more) then the number of people who will go for it will be drastically lower than if it is next to the highway.

Hope this helps,

John

OH no way!! Did you REALLY stick containers inside a dead animal??? Or is it one of those fake animals... I saw a link to one somewhere... Oh.. I remember now... It was on eBay!!!

:)

It sounds like there aren't many cacher in your area. Placing several would entice peole to make a road trip.

Not only would it entice people to make a road trip, it might encourage new people to start caching! In Southern Maryland, the Last Lap Gang were nearly alone. To find caches they'd have to find the few that were in their region or travel to other regions to log a few finds. So they started hiding good quality caches. Then new finder after new finder popped up (my guess is there were some that thought they would start but saw not many caches near them so were discouraged). Now many of those finders are HIDERS and that area has boomed into one of the best places to cache in the state. Lots of quality caches down there, thanks to the Last Lap Gang putting some nice ones out to entice the locals into trying it out.

That could be you :)

In order to get people to visit your cache, it helps if the write-up on the cache page peaks their curiosity. This    cache both intrigues some cachers and bothers other cachers. But it does get their attention! This is the first thing that will make people want to do your caches.

Hope this helps,

John

OH no way!! Did you REALLY stick containers inside a dead animal??? Or is it one of those fake animals... I saw a link to one somewhere... Oh.. I remember now... It was on eBay!!!

:D

No way would I spend $20 to $30 for a cache container!! I use whatever is handy (or in this case, just laying around!)

I guess you need to come and see for yourself how well we preserved the carcass...... :D

John

PS: if you are sure you will never get the chance to come and do this cache, feel free to e-mail us for more info on how to do one of your own. :D:unsure:

Shirley

I have been looking around this area and have found a few places I can place some in town and just outside of town. So, this weekend I am going to try hard to get these placed out. Thanks again for all the replies, I can't wait to see if anyone else says anything! :unsure:

Also; if my first one that I placed the TB in, isn't found before long, I think I should go ahead and move it along to another one. How ever it may be another 2 weekends before I can.