Organizational Geocoin Etiquette Question

Spencersb

Our organization is in the planning stages of our 2006 coin, and we're looking at having GC.com tracking. This necessitates a larger run of coins than we would probably otherwise have, so we plan to open the coin to outside buyers. Knowing that some folks (myself included) will buy pretty much any coin minted, we have a question. In your opinion, is it improper/unethical to charge non-members a slightly higher per-coin cost that our paying members? We're not looking to make a profit, just to cover our costs and give our dues-paying members a break.

Now, I know that pretty much everyone posting here will be in the "Pay More" group, but try to be objective for me! :o

We plan to mint a pretty high quality coin, with a limited Silver edition. I just got my Alaska coins, and they are some of the finest I've seen! I can't gurantee we'll duplicate that, but we'll try to mint a quality coin.

Also, what do y'all think about the concept of limiting the number of actual coins minted to less than the GC.com 1,000 tracking number minimum, to increase their individual value, and spreading the cost of the tracking numbers across the other coins?

Well if the cost is only $1 or less more per coin for non-members, then I wouldn't personally have a problem with it. I also think limiting the run to 500 or less would help in making them more enticing to the geocoin collectors among us. If it's a geo group and not a state coin, I'd definitely be interested in getting 1 :o

In my opinion, if the GOWT members pay dues to the group and the group is subsidizing the production of the coins, then by all means give them a break on the price of the coin. Otherwise, I don't see the reasoning.

BTW, our COOL buying group will be placing an order whenever the time comes.

--SirGerald

I see no reason why you shouldn’t charge us nonmembers a little more so that the members can get a price break. The members keep your club going and will probably be putting a lot of work into designing and sending out the coins.

If you want to limit the number of coins to make them more valuable, why bother with GC.com tracking numbers? If there aren’t very many, folks aren’t going to want to send them off on a journey.

Just received my order of Alaska coins and they are awesome. Very well made. The pictures don’t do them justice, but then again, they all look better in my hand than on the screen.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (and put a target on my back). I'm surprised orgs haven't used the popularity of coins as a fund-raiser, to supplement member dues. I think a quality, limited edition (maybe more limited than typical runs) would still sell at $10 each, and up to $25 for silver/special editions. I would have no problem with the ethical considerations of a legitimate group or major geocaching event doing that to defray overhead. I might not be able to afford as many different coins if that pricing became typical, but it wouldn't bother me. There - now shoot me. :o

Edited by willcall
<snip>

Also, what do y'all think about the concept of limiting the number of actual coins minted to less than the GC.com 1,000 tracking number minimum, to increase their individual value, and spreading the cost of the tracking numbers across the other coins?

If you want to increase value for the club members. Think about having a small run of coins made in a metal that is only sold to club members. This will increase the value of the ones sold to the club members.

There is a longstanding precident for this in books and standards. Non members have almost always paid more than the members of a standards organization for a published standard. Members are in effect getting a price break for their hard work and effort in helping keep up a standard.

Should it apply to a coin? It really depends on your goals. Do you want non members to provide an influx of cash to build your organization? Fair enough. The members have paid their dues. Do you want to make a profit? If so membership is rather a moot point and no you shouldn't unless the discount is a benifit of membership. It sounds like you are looking at subsidizing the actual cost of the coin for members by having non members pay more than the actual cost. This isn't quite the same as the first two. I'd state it up front that that's what you are doing and let the orders decide what's ethical. You are not going to be able to charge too much of a non member premium before members start getting requests to buy more coins and distribute them after the sale (for a lesser premium).

Terracachers.org is kicking around the idea of a coin to fund it's incorporation and provide some money for other expenses that it's going to have getting going. Right now the only idea on the table is to charge everyone the same price.

You can charge whatever you like for the coin -- profit motivated for orgaizational needs or not. Personally, I like to get nice coins and will pay a slight premium. I am currenly buying coins, but hope to switch to a trade-only model once I have "inventory" of duplicates. So offrering me the chance to buy coins is appreciated.

Special run coins are always a cool "local" treat and I encourage it in my area, but not in others :anicute:

The special coins make for good trade items for local cachers to get other local items from other cachers.

For the Maryland coin the break our members get is the reduced shipping costs.If they get them at an event or pick them up the cost is a dollar better. We tried to price the coins fairly so everybody was considered. we want the coins to circulate.There is a small rebate built in for the organization.Too many pricing options will make it a lot harder to track as well.