Mac Geocachers Please Read And Respond

I also would be interested. I currently use GSAK for DB management on my work PC. I would love to upgrade to my home mac. I am actually reading up on Cocoa programming since I have been thinking along the same lines. You need to try GSAK to see the benefits - I especially like the ability to export caches to the GPS along a route!!! Now if someone could come up with a Mac version of Streets and Trips! (I have Route 66 but I can't figure out how to get waypoints into the program.

-40-

How about writing a USB driver for the Garmin. You could sell that for shareware.

MacGPSBabel has had Garmin/USB support for a while. To my knowledge, it remains the ONLY such program. The Mac community hasn't exactly beaten down our door with interest.

If it were shareware instead of free (donations accepted...) would it be different?

I would be interested as well. While most of my Mac/GPS needs are well taken care of additional applications for the market would be appreciated. My website gets lots of people looking for additional mac based GPS software from outside of the geocaching community as well.

How about writing a USB driver for the Garmin. You could sell that for shareware.

MacGPSBabel has had Garmin/USB support for a while. To my knowledge, it remains the ONLY such program. The Mac community hasn't exactly beaten down our door with interest.

If it were shareware instead of free (donations accepted...) would it be different?

You mean that waypoints, tracks and routes can be sent and received from a Garmin USB GPS via MacGPSBabel. Right? I think what he means is a USB driver for live tracking in mapping software, well at least that's what I need.

When I first found out that Garmin had no Mac support I gave up on thinking that I would be able to download any caching info, maps, etc. to my GPS or palm from my Mac. Currently I print out cache pages and enter in the coords by hand for both of our Garmin and Magellan systems. I don't mind doing this manually that much. It's the fact that I'm burning through tons of paper and printer ink that bothers me - not to mention hauling around all those pages while out on a cache spree.

If there were easy to use Mac software that will simplify our caching experience then we would buy it. Having no experience using any PC to GPS or Palm to GPS software I can't say what features I would like to see implemented in the software. Just make it easy to use with a really cool interface. Also, have it do everything the PC versions do, except make it better and faster.  :P

Thanks, and let me know when it's available for beta testing.

Slim from

Team Hatfield

G4 running Panther

Ouch! that is a slow process. I am Mac with Garmin Map76. I had to by a Keyspan/USD adapter. I use Cachemate and MacSimpleGPS and everything loads with no problem. I just can't load a PQ.

Get a PDA and go paperless. Your car will love you for it.

Loading a PQ. Now that is what I want to see in the program.

Good to see there is still interest in Mac-specific Geocaching software.

I've been working on a waypoint management tool for Mac for a while now. Hope to open beta this year.

I've also been working on a USB framework for the new USB-only units. Hope to have one of them soon so I can start testing.

I've been working on a waypoint management tool for Mac for a while now. Hope to open beta this year.

If you need any beta testers let me know. Not just because I'd like to see the software but I've been a beta tester for many of the major mac software vendors and my former job was primarily to regression test software. I might also be able to get access to a variety of GPS receivers to test. (see sig).

I would be very interested and would pay  for it,; but i need a usb-serial cable fo my GPS60 with usb and big round 4 point female plug. Has anyone heard of it?

You need one of these adapters. You'll use the serial cable that came with your Garmin plugged into the adapter, which is plugged into a USB port on your Mac. I got mine on eBay for about $20 and it works great. We identified the problem on Garmin's side (I've been round and round with them), as in not staying true to the actual USB specs, but they aren't willing to make the improvements on their receivers.