Geocoin Ordering Group

hydnsek

OK.....I did some research on best approach, formulated a plan, took down names.....and then work intervened with some killer hours and now I'm about to go on vacation.

Sooooo.....the Pacific Coin Collective (PCC) will begin operations in September, after the August lull and vacations are over. I've been monitoring the TB/coin forum and there's not much planned for the next few weeks, so we should be fine. If anything comes up before Labor Day....go for it, and then we'll get all formalized.

I'll post the guidelines here after my vacation (2+ weeks from now), and then everyone can decide and sign up, and we'll be off and running! Thanks for your patience; I didn't anticipate the past 3 weeks of, er, heck at work.

Thanks again to Nurse Dave, Allanon, Moun10Bike, and others who gave me great advice on how best to organize the coin club. Having done something similar in the past, sounds pretty feasible!

Alrighty....the past two months are a happy haze, and now it's fall and time to get serious about this coin club thang. Thanks for patience, all.

Preamble

In this and the following post(s), I'm going to outline the club framework and ground rules. As previously mentioned, this is based on input from organizers of current coin clubs (most notably Nurse Dave and Go JayBee) as well as members of coin clubs and regular coin purchasers (Moun10Bike, Allanon, jcar, others). Thanks, all! It's also based on my past experience running similar groups as well as more formally organized clubs. The rules not meant to be difficult, overly structured, mean, or otherwise off-putting. However, running a group like this takes significant time, organization, and effort - and it's all for free :D - so I need to set boundaries to keep things manageable and ensure members' needs are met in a reasonable fashion. Remember this before whinging. If you are anti-rules, need to maintain total control of all things, or need to be nagged to do stuff (like meet deadlines or send money), then this may not be the right venue for you. :D No problem - I already have a healthy waiting list, and of course, you can always form your own club!

Part 2 of 3....

Overview

Club name: Pacific Coin Collective (PCC)

Organizer: hydnsek

Purpose: To purchase geocoins for personal collections. The group approach is potentially more efficient and economical, with many eyes watching for new coins, automatic purchasing from a central source, and potential savings in shipping charges.

Ground Rules

Coin Purchases

There are too many geocoins out there for PCC to pursue everything, and group dynamics dictate that we have a standard approach to purchases. So, we will focus our efforts as follows:

• Yes: State and regional coins. For coins with multiple mintings, we will purchase the “base” coin (only) by default. Examples: We would purchase the Idaho, Colorado, and Ohio coins, as well as Santa Cruz, DFW, and GOWT (West Tennessee) coins. For the Alaska and Tennessee coins, we would have purchased the brass/pewter coins for PCC members, but not the silver or gold versions. Members would make those purchases on their own if desired.

• No: Except by group agreement, we will not pursue personal coins, international coins, event coins, limited-edition coins, etc. This includes things like the Germany coin, the Midwest Geobash coin, the silver Alaska coin, PaNoWeGe kids coin, etc.

• Quantity: Standard purchase is 3 coins per member. If you want more, you’ll need to purchase the extras separately; if you want fewer, then you need to opt-out of the group purchase and buy separately. (Sorry, we can’t track individual preferences for every group member; we have to standardize.) As soon as we have news of a new minting, we will announce it in the discussion group (pccgeocoins) and give members a chance to opt out. If you don’t opt out by the stated deadline, you will be included in the buy and expected to pay.

• Price range: In general, we will purchase coins in the $5-10 range, including shipping. Pricing limits are always open to discussion, however. We should get some breaks on shipping costs, due to bulk shipping; shipping cost for an order will be divided equally among all purchasing members.

• Special purchases: If members are interested in purchasing other coins – such as the UK or Geobash coins – then it would be discussed in pccgeocoins and a vote taken on whether to purchase, and quantity. As with standard purchases, members can opt out of a group special purchase.

Coin Distribution

• Coin purchases will be shipped as a bulk order to the organizer’s address. This provides the cheapest, most efficient shipping.

• Coin distribution will be in person when possible to save members’ additional shipping (one reason for local membership). Typically, when a new coin arrives, organizer will announce it and suggest a distribution get-together, including time and location. (Feel free to buy me a drink as payment for services rendered. :D) Members can arrange for others to pick up for them if they can’t attend.

•If you need your coins mailed for a particular shipment, just let me know. The additional shipping will be deducted from your account balance. If you are in arrears, the coins will be held until you have sufficient funds.

Communications

• All club communications are via the Yahoo group called Pacific Coin Collective (pccgeocoins). This service includes group emails, file postings, and polls.

• Discussions of which coins to buy, club rules, opt-outs for specific purchases, polls, and other communications should be done through pccgeocoins, not the geocaching forums or one-off emails.

• All club members are responsible for helping scout for new coins, and making members and organizer aware of them in a timely fashion to enable ordering. The organizer is not responsible for locating all new coins, it’s a group effort (just to be clear).

• We will keep a list of upcoming coins in pccgeocoins; all members can contribute to the list and ensure it’s current and correct.

• Club documents, including account spreadsheets, will be posted in the files section of pccgeocoins.

Accounts

• Initial buy-in is $50. This should allow 2-4 purchases before you need to replenish. You can provide more if you choose, so that you have to replenish less often.

• Only members with sufficient funds in their account at the time of purchase will be included in a buy. The organizer will not cover any member’s expenses. So, if a purchase is $18 per member (including shipping), and you only have $12 in your account on the day we buy, then you will not be included in the purchase. Therefore, I suggest you err on the side of keeping a little extra in your account, and checking your balance, so you don’t lose out.

• An account spreadsheet will be created that includes all members and purchases and posted in the pccgeocoins file area. It will be updated after each purchase, so that you always know your current balance. That’s my responsibility to you.

• It’s your responsibility to check your account status (in the spreadsheet), ensure you have enough to cover purchases/shipping, and send additional funds in a timely fashion to keep your account solvent. I don’t want to, and thus won’t, be your personal nag on this.

• To add funds to your account, you provide the money to the organizer via Paypal or by check. The amount is up to you (after initial buy-in), but suggest you try to keep around $50 in your account.

• Members whose accounts are in arrears for 30 days will be retired from the club, creating a vacancy for a new member. You will be notified once before your membership expires.

Example of Purchase Process

• A member posts in pccgeocoins that there’s a new Idaho coin coming out, with details and a link.

• Organizer adds it to the purchase list and provides 48-hour notice for any opt-outs. (Note: If you plan to opt-out frequently, I suggest that PCC isn't the right choice for you. The default should nearly always be to purchase - the goal is group purchases, not managing individual preferences; that's time-consuming and prone to error.)

• Once the opt-out deadline passes, organizer automatically submits a group purchase order, including payment. For instance, I might order 60 Idaho coins on behalf of PCC (3 coins each for 20 members).

• Payment is deducted from all members’ accounts. Account spreadsheets are updated and posted to pccgeocoins.

Edited by hydnsek

Part 3 of 3....

Membership

• The PCC is limited to 20 members at the outset. Club size may be expanded later at the organizer’s discretion. A waiting list will be created, in the order requests are received, and whenever a member leaves the club, the next person on the waiting list will be invited to join.

• Membership is restricted to residents of the greater Puget Sound area of Washington state at present. This is defined as a driving distance of roughly 2 hours from Seattle – say, the distance one might travel to pick up coins in person. This includes residents of Wenatchee, Federal Way, and Port Angeles, for example. It does not include Portland, Spokane, or Vancouver (sorry). The geographical territory may expanded later at the organizer’s discretion.

• A person is officially a member of PCC once they have done three things: provided requested information (to organizer via email), paid their deposit (to organizer), and joined the online discussion group. See “Joining the PCC” section below for specifics.

Initial Membership

Initial membership will be on a first-come, first-joined basis, as follows:

• Folks on the Pre-membership Roster have first preference. There are 30 parties on the list below; the first 20 who complete the sign-up steps will constitute the charter members.

• Those on the Pre-membership Roster who don’t make the cutoff, and others who express interest later, will be placed on the Waiting List in the order received.

• Those who responded who live outside the defined geographical area were not included in the Pre-membership Roster. (Sorry.) If anyone on the initial roster lives outside the defined area, they can either remove themselves or they will be notified when they provide their mailing information.

Pre-membership Roster:

Right Wing Wacko

jcar

lucyandrickie

Kirkland Explorers

DJ Calamari

tin-ear

Bull Moose

OldBaldEagle

Patudles

grossi

Blac Raven

Defender1

runhills

k7-wave

lahontan

The Jester

CENT5

Prying Pandora

globalgirl

robinego

Alnilam

NIGHT2TRAIN4

the4Grays

LittleBlue

LandRover

Weightman

AnalogDog

Recdiver

SeabeckTribe

fallout4X4

Out of Area

ladycacher

dblrngr

Palm Grunt

Cornerstone4

MamaMouse

2LuknF8

Team Nowayman

Cav Scout

Joining the PCC

If the framework for the PCC works for you, and you’d like to join, here’s what to do:

1. Sign up by emailing hydnsek with the following: your stated interest in joining PCC plus your caching name, real name, email address, physical mailing address, phone number. The email address is 'abbywolfe at comcast dot net'. If there is an open spot, you will receive an invitation to join, which leads to steps 2 and 3....

2. Send hydnsek a $50 deposit to open your account. You may send it via Paypal or mail/deliver a check; you will receive details with the invite.

3. Join the Yahoo discussion group (pccgeocoins). You will receive the sign-up info with your invite.

Again, for charter membership, it’s the first 20 people from the Pre-membership Roster who complete all three steps that constitute the initial club. If you miss the window, I will let you know and put you on the waiting list; any money received from non-members will be returned.

Waiting list: A waiting list will be created, in the order requests are received. Whenever a member leaves the club, the next person on the waiting list will be invited to join. Once they complete the steps above, they will be officially in the PCC.

Leaving the PCC

Members may depart the PCC at any time as follows:

• Email the organizer with your resignation. Once acknowledged, you are out of the club.

• If your account is depleted and you don’t replenish it within 30 days, you will automatically be retired from the club, with email notification. (Take heed!)

• If you cause ongoing disruption, antagonize the organizer or members, or otherwise create a negative atmosphere, you may be asked to leave the club.

Whenever a member departs PCC:

• Any remaining money in their account will be refunded to them.

• The next person on the waiting list will be invited to fill their spot.

• If a departed member wishes to rejoin, they will be placed on the waiting list.

Edited by hydnsek
For budgeting purposes.... how much would you estimate would need to be deposited in the account each month?

Yep, I too need to know how much money to budget each month for this club.

For the record - I LIKE all the rules. This IS an awful lot of work for the organizer, and a lot of rubles will be changing hands. So I for one appreciate H's formality and thoughtful approach. Your style ROCKS girl! :lol:

But that said, there's still one big question that's not yet clear: How many coins/how often will the group be purchasing coins? I'd surely like to join but first need to know the estimated average/max. dineros per month that will be expected. Unlike some, I don't have a trust fund expressly available for geocoins <g>, so I need to know if I can afford to belong (i.e. I don't want to have to be opting out a lot 'cuz the club is buying coins faster than I can afford to pay for them!)

I surely don't want to miss out on the time limit posed for officially joining here (i.e. first 20) but I do need to first know the approximate dollar amount commitment this club requires. Thus meanwhile... email sent. :D

For budgeting purposes.... how much would you estimate would need to be deposited in the account each month?

Yep, I too need to know how much money to budget each month for this club.

For the record - I LIKE all the rules. This IS an awful lot of work for the organizer, and a lot of rubles will be changing hands. So I for one appreciate H's formality and thoughtful approach. Your style ROCKS girl! :lol:

But that said, there's still one big question that's not yet clear: How many coins/how often will the group be purchasing coins? I'd surely like to join but first need to know the estimated average/max. dineros per month that will be expected. Unlike some, I don't have a trust fund expressly available for geocoins <g>, so I need to know if I can afford to belong (i.e. I don't want to have to be opting out a lot 'cuz the club is buying coins faster than I can afford to pay for them!)

I surely don't want to miss out on the time limit posed for officially joining here (i.e. first 20) but I do need to first know the approximate dollar amount commitment this club requires. Thus meanwhile... email sent. :D

Wouldn't mind know that myself so I'll know how much blood I'll have to sale.

They still buy blood right? What does a kidney go for these days?

e-mail sent

For budgeting purposes.... how much would you estimate would need to be deposited in the account each month?  I don't want to fall behind  :D

I'm in Nurse Dave's group and I've deposited about $400 for about five months worth of coins. But we've also ordered the coins that your group won't be ordering ie: GW3, Midwest Geobash, etc. So I'd say anywhere from $50-80 a month. And remember that Paypal takes out 30 cents + 2.9% from every transfer/deposit you make. Hope that helps your budgeting.

e-mail sent

For budgeting purposes.... how much would you estimate would need to be deposited in the account each month?  I don't want to fall behind  :P

I'm in Nurse Dave's group and I've deposited about $400 for about five months worth of coins. But we've also ordered the coins that your group won't be ordering ie: GW3, Midwest Geobash, etc. So I'd say anywhere from $50-80 a month. And remember that Paypal takes out 30 cents + 2.9% from every transfer/deposit you make. Hope that helps your budgeting.

I think Mauison's advice is good. It's going to fluctuate month-to-month, depending on how many new issues come out. I've seen 6+ in a month, and then only 1 another month. But probably $50/mo is a good rule of thumb.

A couple other followups (I finished this late last night):

The 'rules' about what we buy, how many of each, etc. can all be amended, of course, by group discussion and vote. I was just trying to lay out an initial framework to give folks a starting point. I personally would vote for buying Geobash coins, and UK coins, and such, but didn't want to make those defaults out the door, because it DOES start to add up quickly. Perhaps we want to add event coins, at least, to the mix - something to discuss.

I hope laying out the group 'rules' up front wasn't too much. I was trying to accomplish several things to get this moving:

- Provide a structural framework at the get-go rather than have lengthy discussions about how to organize the group and what the ground rules should be. We can amend elements of it, but need a starting point.

- Set clear expectations about how the group will function, so that folks can make an informed choice on whether to join.

- Since I will be holding folks hard-earned money, provide a comfort level on how that money will be managed and reported.

- Ensure my sanity in operating the group, and that it doesn't cost me money to run, just time (not insignificant in itself). ;)

Finally, to the point on Paypal - for got to cite that specifically in the cost area, but Paypal fees will be deducted from accounts as incurred and appropriate (i.e., I shouldn't incur those costs personally just because I'm fronting for the group).

Cheers,

hydnsek / abby

OK, things are moving along quickly - we already have 12 respondents, our first fully paid member, and the start of the waiting list. Here's the current tally, based on the Pre-registered Roster and new folks expressing interest:

Charter Members - enrolled and paid

hydnsek

jcar

Pending - confirmed pre-enrolled in order received

tin-ear

Right Wing Wacko

LandRover

Kirkland Explorers

OldBaldEagle

Recdiver

globalgirl

k7-wave

CENT5

grossi

Declined

fallout4X4

Waiting List

Krauss-McClurg

Pending members, watch for your email to complete sign-up.

Folks who originally expressed interest (pre-enrollment roster).....8 spots left!

I see that there is a Kanas coin in the making...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=108714

Will this one be through the group or we on our own?

By-the-way... Did I miss a link to where we send our money?

Email sent

I think Kansas may be individual, since we are still setting up the group.

As for membership details, see the guidelines I posted several messages above. Be sure you like the sound of it and then send me the requested info.

Thanks,

Abby

Re: Paypal payments.....I have a personal account and therefore cannot accept credit-card payments. If you pay via Paypal, you will need supply the funds from a bank account or PayPal balance.

Yes, I could upgrade my account, but then it would cost 2.9% + $0.30 USD to receive payments, which I would have to charge back to your accounts. And we wouldn't want to do that!!

So, keep that in mind when making your deposits and future payments.

hydnsek

Re: Paypal payments.....I have a personal account and therefore cannot accept credit-card payments. If you pay via Paypal, you will need supply the funds from a bank account or PayPal balance.

Yes, I could upgrade my account, but then it would cost 2.9% + $0.30 USD to receive payments, which I would have to charge back to your accounts. And we wouldn't want to do that!!

hydnsek

You are probably going to have to upgrade! Personal accounts can receive a max of $500/month

Personal Account Receiving Limit. If you have a Canadian, U.S., or U.K. Personal account, you are limited to receiving no more than the equivalent of $500.00 USD each month, based on the primary currency of your PayPal account.

Re: Paypal payments.....I have a personal account and therefore cannot accept credit-card payments.  If you pay via Paypal, you will need supply the funds from a bank account or PayPal balance.

hydnsek

You are probably going to have to upgrade! Personal accounts can receive a max of $500/month

Personal Account Receiving Limit. If you have a Canadian, U.S., or U.K. Personal account, you are limited to receiving no more than the equivalent of $500.00 USD each month, based on the primary currency of your PayPal account.

Argh, didn't know that, thanks. I'm new to being on the receiving end of Paypal....I'm usually doling it out. Well, I guess it will depend on how many Paypallers I have vs. traditionalists. :laughing:

I will alert the members if a changeover is imminent.

I am chosing not to spend that much money per month for coins.  :laughing:  Thank you, for your hard work.  I am sure someone else would love to take my place.

As noted privately, Abby - ditto the globalgirl. There's just toooo many delicious coins out there (and new ones popping up daily!), so - in order to stave off insanity and not concurrently go bankrupt, I've opted to focus mainly on collecting all the COUNTRY coins first (I mean, after all, I AM the "global" girl, yes?) :D Granted, presently those are few but no doubt will steadily grow (I just purchased a U.K. and a most delectable EU this week) Those plus... I want to leave myself (read: piggybank) open for especially kewl strays - like the new "Katrina" coin I just learned about yesterday.

So that leaves a place for someone else here. And I must say again - with you at the helm m'dear, all will surely be in mighty capable hands.

I am chosing not to spend that much money per month for coins.  :laughing:  Thank you, for your hard work.  I am sure someone else would love to take my place.

As noted privately, Abby - ditto the globalgirl. There's just toooo many delicious coins out there (and new ones popping up daily!), so - in order to stave off insanity and not concurrently go bankrupt, I've opted to focus mainly on collecting all the COUNTRY coins first (I mean, after all, I AM the "global" girl, yes?) :D Granted, presently those are few but no doubt will steadily grow (I just purchased a U.K. and a most delectable EU this week) Those plus... I want to leave myself (read: piggybank) open for especially kewl strays - like the new "Katrina" coin I just learned about yesterday.

So that leaves a place for someone else here. And I must say again - with you at the helm m'dear, all will surely be in mighty capable hands.

Understood, and thanks. I would note that it's not a guarantee that we'll each spend $50/month for coins....it's a guess, based on the volume of coins coming out the past few months. However, it may not be far off as an average. Let's say we bought 3 coin issues in a month; even if they are only $5 each with shipping, that's $45 (3 issues x 3 coins each).

Definitely, a coin club is for those who want to buy a few coins of most issues, and who want to be part of a team of folks helping to scout for the new mintings.

Alas, this is getting a little too rich for me too. I'm going to have to withdraw, but it looks like there is no shortage of folks eager for my spot!

You have done a great job with this group so far, hydensek! Thanks for inviting me in.

Perhaps two or three of you that decided that the cost is to high could get together and share a place in the group. I beleive we would be getting three of each coin, so three of you could share a spot and get one coin each.

Alas, this is getting a little too rich for me too.  I'm going to have to withdraw, but it looks like there is no shortage of folks eager for my spot!

You have done a great job with this group so far, hydensek!  Thanks for inviting me in.

Perhaps two or three of you that decided that the cost is to high could get together and share a place in the group. I beleive we would be getting three of each coin, so three of you could share a spot and get one coin each.

That sounds like something I might be up for. I have been putting off completing the registration process because of the estimated monthly cost.

Alas, this is getting a little too rich for me too.  I'm going to have to withdraw, but it looks like there is no shortage of folks eager for my spot!

You have done a great job with this group so far, hydensek!  Thanks for inviting me in.

That sounds like something I might be up for. I have been putting off completing the registration process because of the estimated monthly cost.

To keep it manageable from my end, they would need to do that off-line, and have one person be the PCC member. Else, I'm tracking three people's participation and costs rather than one, and their costs/etc. would be inconsistent with rest of group.

So, if LandRover, PP, and x (LittleBlue? Haven't heard from her yet) want to get together, work something out 'behind the scenes', and one of them join the group that's certainly fine with me! How the member gets the money to buy coins and how they distribute them afterwards is up to them. :(

I'm afraid I am going to have to bow out also. Daughter needs braces and as nice as the new ND coin looks. I don't think it will work as a retainer.

Maybe you could be the third in Landrover's 3-in-1 grouplet.

I'm beginning to think nobody calculated cost before expressing interest....I mean, think how many coins are being minted right now, just geographical - it's a bunch! Personal coins are off the charts, everyone's getting one. It adds up pretty quick!

Also note that the group will decide how many and which coins to buy. It doesn't have to be 3 (group could vote on a different number to buy ongoing), and we can choose not to buy coins. Just so long as everybody in group agrees on the guidelines and participates.

Cheers,

hydnsek

I don't know about others (and I'm not even in the group yet :P), but I know I'd prefer to only order 2 coins per issue - I'm not exactly sure what I'd do with 3.

Alternatively, I suppose I'd be willing to form a "mini-group" with someone local to the eastside who would be interested in one coin per issue... (although, that again requires a spot in the group...)

-Jeff of Krauss-McClurg

I don't know about others (and I'm not even in the group yet  :)), but I know I'd prefer to only order 2 coins per issue - I'm not exactly sure what I'd do with 3. 

Alternatively, I suppose I'd be willing to form a "mini-group" with someone local to the eastside who would be interested in one coin per issue... (although, that again requires a spot in the group...)

-Jeff of Krauss-McClurg

You're off the waitlist, so respond to your email and you can join. :D

As to number of coins - if the group wants the number to be 2, and votes on that, fine by me. I used 3 because that's the number Nurse Dave's group buys per member, and most folks who trade coins want at least 2 spares to do deals with. I usually buy 3-5 of an issue, so this will be a nice reduction in cost for me. :P

Abby

Edited by hydnsek