Protecting/holding Gps

When I go geocaching with the kids I have been holding my GPSMap 60CS in my hand. This weekend I was holding my daughter's hand (our first terrain 3) and slid down the hand and ended up covering the GPS with mud and dirt. Thankfully no scratches or broken parts. I was wondering what would be the best way to travel with the GPS? I think the beltclip is worthless and was wondering if using a lanyard or carabiner would be better hanging around my neck with my regular compass and whistle would be a better choice. Any suggestions? Also what kind of case would be best to prevent scratches/breaks? Thanks.

A friend got the Gilsson case for the GPSMap 60CS.

You can attach a lanyard to the wrist strap connector. A friend tried attaching her lanyard through the hole in the rubber next to the antenna and that wasn't strong enough.

Until you get the case, you might put on a screen protector, like the kind they make for Palms, or the more expensive ones made specifically for that GPSr.

I have the gillson case and love it - bought an extra one -0-

Keeps the gps nice and clean. I also use the wrist strap that came with the unit.

How many time do you need your other hand? With the strap I just drop the gps and it dangles on my wrist. Right side up receiving birds even. There is a velco belt loop but this is a little difficult to use and not for wide belts, I think. There is also a clip for belt loop or vest loop.

It also gives the unit a little padding if you drop it - dropped it in the road and never heard it - bumped my foot - no harm at all.

gps is easy in and out of the case and the buttons are easy to use. Cost about $15 dollars.

It amazes me how new my unit looks compared to others I have seen in the field.

cc\

I agree that the case is a good idea, as is the screen protector.

I also have a longer than normal lanyard attached to mine. I put it around my neck and carry my GPS. If / when I slip, stumble, need to grab a kid, I simply let go of the GPS (which is almost a natural reaction if the kids are the ones in danger of falling). It is supported by the "neck strap" and falls harmlessly to my chest.

Unless I go all the way down, face first, I feel that this is the safest way to carry it.

I also have a longer than normal lanyard attached to mine. I put it around my neck and carry my GPS. If / when I slip, stumble, need to grab a kid, I simply let go of the GPS (which is almost a natural reaction if the kids are the ones in danger of falling). It is supported by the "neck strap" and falls harmlessly to my chest.

Unless I go all the way down, face first, I feel that this is the safest way to carry it.

I agree -

my wife carries hers that way -

I did not like the feel of the weight on my neck but I did like the security and ease of letting go an getting it back in hand.

ps - no rug rats to grab if slipping - she just likes the security.

Incidentally (hmm... you might not have enought hands on second thought), I made her a walking stick and she loves it for security on the trail. And REALLY loves it when crossing streams on stones and logs and what have you. Was wondering if you had thought of one.

cc\

I also have a longer than normal lanyard attached to mine.  I put it around my neck and carry my GPS.  If / when I slip, stumble, need to grab a kid, I simply let go of the GPS (which is almost a natural reaction if the kids are the ones in danger of falling).  It is supported by the "neck strap" and falls harmlessly to my chest.

I agree -

my wife carries hers that way -

I did not like the feel of the weight on my neck but I did like the security and ease of letting go an getting it back in hand.

ps - no rug rats to grab if slipping - she just likes the security.

Incidentally (hmm... you might not have enought hands on second thought), I made her a walking stick and she loves it for security on the trail. And REALLY loves it when crossing streams on stones and logs and what have you. Was wondering if you had thought of one.

cc\

I have a Garmin carrying case, and a neck lanyard for the Vista C, never even think about hurting the GPSr even if I slip. Have a walking stick in the other hand, and sometimes hold a dog leash in the other. The neck lanyard gives you nice security if you slip but don't completely fall on your face. But to protect the thing from scratches, etc. the case is great. And the buttons are accessible so I never had a complaint about the case.

I wear a little bag about the size of a fanny pack but it is flatter and it fits over my shoulder and around my chest like a bandolier.

When I come across anything that looks like it might have fun tossing me to the ground, I tuck the GPS safely away for a moment until I am safely on the other side.

It has velcro closures and a nylon clip in case ai want to attach the GPSr on the outside of the bag.

It also holds my pens, some swag, any TB's I grab, my bug spray, notes, sun glasses (in a separate pocket), and light snacks.

Its incredibly compact considering all it holds.

:o

For my GPSMAP 60CS I purchased a sunglass case from Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks. It was the perfect size and it zips shut.

I don't put the strap on my GPS anymore. I was on a long hike and was holding the GPSr with the strap to my wrist for a couple of hours when I finally figured I'd just carry it in my pocket. After another mile or so I reached for the GPSr and it was missing. I backtracked and found it hanging on a branch caught by the strap. I didn't even feel it. :blink:

At this point I'll tell one of my more embarrassing moments: A few months later on a long hike and it was raining cats and dogs and freezing cold. I was trying to figure out where to put the GPS so I could warm my hands and it dawned on me that there was plenty of room under my hat - so on my head and under the hat it went. About an hour later I reached for my GPS in my POCKET! It was missing! I backtracked for about 1/2 miles searching gully washed steep trails until it finally hit me - there it was on my head! :o

I have the Garmin neoprene case. I didn't like that the plastic screen covered the buttons so I cut a hole it it for the buttons.

I don't see any reason not to use the belt clip. I've used it all along and it works just fine. I just make sure I hook the laynard to a carabiner that is clipped to my belt just in case.

I personally wouldn't want to hang it around my neck and have the thing banging around my chest, but Garmin sells a neck laynard

for it. They also sell a carabiner clip. Pesonally I'd still clip the laynard to another carabiner if I used this.

I have a cheap case that attaches either to my pack strap or my belt that I stick my GPSr in when I don't want to hold it.

However, years of mistreating my old 3+ taught me thast it needed no case to protect it. If I dropped it, I picked it up. If I fell and smashed the screen against rocks, I picked myself up. If I got it muddy, I looked for a nice stream to dunk it in.

I've replaced the old 3+ with a V and a geko 301, but I don't see that changing anything.

I've been using a padded eyeglass pocket case for my GPS. I usually just put it in my shirt pocket or my front pants pocket. I rarely have a reception problem. As I get closer to the cache--300 to 400 feet, I hold it in my hand.

I never trust lanyards, straps, etc. In fact, my newer GPS doesn't even have one attached.

I'm thinking of buying the screen protector that is advertised on gc.com. It's a little pricey at $10, but is guaranteed for a long time, so it might be worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with those screen protectors?