Where, Oh Where Did Notify Bot Go?

Folkcat&Gryphon

I kinda knew something was odd when I looked at my account profile information. Took a moment, then I realized what it was.

It said down in the corner "You WANT to be notified when there are new caches in your area."

Right! I thought. I remember choosing that option back when I joined up. I remember getting the weekly e-mails telling me about the new caches. But I haven't seen one in a while. What happened?

I checked in my in-box, and sure enough, the last one arrived on 6/10/05 - over a month ago. So what's happened since then? I'm still receiving other mail on that e-mail account, even from geocaching. It hasn't been shuffled off into my JunkMail or Deleted folders. I've had no notices that attempts to deliver e-mail to me have failed. Just to be sure, I looked at the new listings of geocaches in New Hampshire, and there are plenty that I should have been e-mailed about.

Has Geocaching Notify Bot been broken? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Folkcat of Folkcat&Gryphon

New Hampshire

it should be the 5th? line down when you go to edit your profile. Are you sure the box is checked?

Send emails in text formathtml format

Show my email address to other users

(users can still contact you through the site if you uncheck this option)

Inform me of new features and changes to the web site.

Send me a weekly emailer of new caches in my area.

if it is checked, are you receiving other emails (logs, messages sent threw the site, etc)?

Yes, the setting in my profile is correct - like I said, I remembered choosing that option when I first signed up, and I was receiving the Notify Bot e-mails up to and including June 10th. I'm still getting all other geocaching.com e-mails (watchlist notices, etc.), including your test e-mail.

So the question is, why did the Geocaching Notify Bot e-mails stop coming?

hmm I don't know

I'm receiving them fine as of July 14th.

you might try reposting this question to the 'Geocaching.com Web Site' forum, since the admin people seem to troll that one looking for bug reports.

(you'll want to double check your filters/junkmail folders, and maybe contact your isp to see if they're capturing it for some reason.)

My most recent notification arrived on time, but I live in Western New York, and the nearby caches listed were in NYC and Long Island. Usually my notification is full of stuff from the southern tier, Ontario, and Buffalo and its suburbs, so there's no way the nearest new caches to me are in NYC.

(you'll want to double check your filters/junkmail folders, and maybe contact your isp to see if they're capturing it for some reason.)

It's not a matter of my ISP. The e-mail address I use for geocaching is through my personal domain, and I've had no problems with mail there.

Of course, I'd rather none of us were having this problem, but I have to admit I'm pleased to see it's not just me!

Now we just need an answer from someone official about what's wrong.